Skip to main content
Topic: Explorer uppper and lower mod begins, son's christmas prize (Read 5420 times) previous topic - next topic

Explorer uppper and lower mod begins, son's christmas prize

Reply #15
Quote from: jcassity;405405
I think we are shy heads and harness mods, we have the HO EEC from an 86 MKVII, plus any wiring mods needed.

thanks for the heads up on the  egr coolant lines,, i am wondering if its not even worth hooking those up, i really dont see the point in using egr cooling ports.
Less holes to pop in the intake.

BTW, the intake measures .012 on the welded edge,, gonna fix that tomorrow as well, its pretty thick, thought it was much thinner than that

thoughts?

The HO EEC will make the 19lb injectors work but without the HO cam the firing order will be off. You need at least the HO cam and HO EEC to make the 19lb injectors work right.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #16
your thoughts on deleteting the egr cooling lines, heard lots of people say they block them off.

Reply #17
Quote from: jcassity;405411
your thoughts on deleteting the egr cooling lines, heard lots of people say they block them off.

Thats a good question, I am wondering the same thing.  Are you deleting the EGR altogether or hooking it up and just not using the cooling lines through the throttle body spacer?

Reply #18
My EGR water lines have been closed for years. I cut the nipple off of the water pipes and welded it shut. Never used the water line through the spacer. Never had an issue.

As far as harness mods, for a speed density setup, H.O cam, 19# injectors, etc...no mods, just swap the computer, injectors and cam. install the plug wires with the 351W firing order, in reverse rotation, and good to go. A days job.

If you already have the parts, now is the time with the intake off. You're really only adding a few short hours of labor to what you're doing.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #19

A functioning EGR makes the car run better IMHO. I've had cars rattle on light acceleration with a stock computer when they weren't working right. Every engine is a little different, though.

Reply #20
Scott...do you guys need an HO cam? I've got a couple three here, if you want one, I'll sell it.
PM me and I'll give my cell number to arrange the details :)

If you also need the 19lb injectors, I've a set of those too. Mustang style, so they'll plug into his harness with no modding.

Vinnie's right...to convert from SO to HO and stay SPEED DENSITY, the only mods are mechanical, no harness work at all.
To go Mass Air involves a different EEC and of course the wires from the meter to the EEC. Easy peezy.

To go from SO to HO, you'll need the EEC, HO cam, and the orange injectors. Those parts you either have to use all three together, or none at all, else your engine won't run well, as mentioned. But if you're swapping heads and intakes, may as well slap in the HO cam while you're there now...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #21
Bigger project.....hmm.  Always start small then get big.

Travis

Reply #22

You could block off the coolant lines. The 93 Mustang Cobra style GT40 intake doesn't use EGR coolant lines. Keep the EGR though.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #23
Yes sir, i sure could use a couple cams actually, one for my oldest boy and one for my youngest, but Ill let mason buy it,,LOL,, yeah right , on a college budget.

got the mod done, all went well.
Dizzy was really cooperative, dropped right in, i guess we dialed it in just perfect and the oil pump shaft didnt decide to f with us.
here are some pics.
could not  convince him to do the Tstat mod, i did pull the injector screens , we ended up making up a gasket plus double gasket on the upper intake to sorta shim it due to a repair that was done .

all is well, son is a happy camper.
thanks thunderjet302 for making this some good quality time with my son, he really really worked for it.

another interesting thing, the darn car didnt get any air that we could tell, started to heat right up and put out good heat,, the boy is lucky in many aspects of all the things we messed with.
we did have one injector pentil that was shattered so we replaced that but all in all, things went pretty smooth right down to tapping the ATC.

Reply #24
so am i retarded or when did they "STOP" doing full across the lower intake coolant runners along the rear?
the port goes across the front but not the rear...  whats up with that?

Reply #25
Quote from: jcassity;405488
so am i retarded or when did they "STOP" doing full across the lower intake coolant runners along the rear?
the port goes across the front but not the rear...  whats up with that?

I think it's like that so water is forced to go through the thermostat. Isn't the stock SO/HO intake the same way?

I'm glad you had fun with the swap. I thought you guys were going to repaint the intake before you installed it. The Ford blue kinda sticks out more in your son's cars engine bay than it does in mine ;).

Reply #26
Looks good! How does it run?

Reply #27
Quote from: thunderjet302;405501
I think it's like that so water is forced to go through the thermostat. Isn't the stock SO/HO intake the same way?

I'm glad you had fun with the swap. I thought you guys were going to repaint the intake before you installed it. The Ford blue kinda sticks out more in your son's cars engine bay than it does in mine ;).

son couldnt repaint it, the thought it would be cool to keep its war wounds,, i kinda get it now, passing down used parts and all he thought that the paint looked just fine to him.

the lower intake rear water jacket was deadend as well.  seems like this is something that doesnt happen on other older intakes or on aftermarket support for the the carb intakes... just thought id mention my lack of paying attention.

Reply #28
Quote from: beast50;405548
Looks good! How does it run?

i honestly didnt expect much but it really did make the engine sound more fluid and it sounds like its running with more ease.
on the throttle its like a different car.

btw, his head ports match up almost perfect to the explorer upper using a mic.

i thought you guys said my heads would be a bottle neck, his is the 88 year, so maybe the only gain on gt40/p would be weight loss..?
removing the injector screens will just make him have to change the fuel filter every other oil change or maybe each time, but that cured the slight hesitation as it did on the 3.8L cfi.
he understood the risk in not having them and made the choice.  we took out the old screens and they were collaped and you couldnt see through them.
no one had any screens in stock the one and only day we had to fetch gaskets so he's going without.

Reply #29
You'll notice a difference with the GT40's on. They're also iron, so there's none or very little difference in weight. The differences are a revised plug angle (P heads only) and the P's also have the same exh valve size as the E7. The Non P '40s have a bit bigger exh valve, and slightly larger chambers than the P's. Smaller chambers=slightly higher compression ration, more power. Plus the revised plug angles help make the burn a little more efficient.
Some guys will argue that P's are no better than non P 40's...but, there's a reason we are P head fans.

The downside: you're going to need expensive headers. BBK 1515 and a short plug on #7 cylinder, I believe. Vinnie and Jerry could chime in on this, they both have P headed engines, Vinnie has the BBKs, Jerry is running FRPP headers.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/gt40-vs-gt40p.549276

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/29759-gt40-vs-gt40p-cylinder-heads.html

Quote from: P head user
The HP should be between 30-50 if you know what you're doing.  I got 58 RWHP from my swap.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)