Skip to main content
Topic: Opinions on rebuilding my the upper half of my 5.0 (Read 3378 times) previous topic - next topic

Opinions on rebuilding my the upper half of my 5.0

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31027[/ATTACH]First off I have to say I've been reading the forum for years and you guys have been a big help through a lot of things. I had an 83 T-bird when I was younger. Now I have a 88 Cougar I bought awhile back which brings me back to the forums.
I was hoping ya'll could help me out a bit on this. I got some valve covers, upper and lower intake and throttle body off a mustang for 30$ from Craigslist in all great condition. I'm going to paint them and make them all nice and pretty. Eventually I'll get to install it and that's where you guys come in. I was wondering if ya'll give me an idea of all the things I would need. New bolts, gaskets, any thing possible you can think of. Also is there anything you can think of that I should change while I it all opened up and have better access to things. Also just some extra information: I'm not doing this just for cosmetic reasons. There has been some minor oil leaks around the valve covers. The covers themselves have definitely seen better days. Also apparently the guy I bought the car from had a rat motel business going on under the upper intake so I want to make sure that is all cleaned up. Well thanks for any help in advance!

Reply #1
I'd say just new gaskets. If the fuel pressure regulator is old/original throw a new Motorcraft one on. Other than that you should be good to go :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
I would replace any vac or coolant hoses that you take off. New clamps would be advised as well.

Reply #3
Double check the bolts. The Stang covers are aluminum, and have thicker s, so, the bolts may be a wee bit longer.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
For valve cover gaskets, I use the blue ones with a steel core (they're reusable). They're a few bucks more, but as long as you don't pinch 'em and nick 'em, they'll last awhile.

They're FelPro, but i can't remember the part #.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #5
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;404778
For valve cover gaskets, I use the blue ones with a steel core (they're reusable). They're a few bucks more, but as long as you don't pinch 'em and nick 'em, they'll last awhile.

They're FelPro, but i can't remember the part #.

Thanks for the tip. 1684 is the part number I pulled off Advance.

Reply #6
Quote from: vinnietbird;404772
Double check the bolts. The Stang covers are aluminum, and have thicker s, so, the bolts may be a wee bit longer.

I was planning of replacing all the bolts while I was down there just for easy access for way down the road if I ever get down there and do a full engine rebuild.
I'm slowly learning more and more about cars so I love doing everything myself. That and I'm way too cheap to pay someone else for something I can learn to do, haha.
Whats ya'll opinion on the wing bolts? Do they hold just as well as regular bolts? Also while searching for bolts I came across "Valve Cover Load Spreader". Is this just another thing sold for peoples ease of mind and to make money? Or is there any actual advantages to these?

Reply #7
Quote from: Chrome;404768
I would replace any vac or coolant hoses that you take off. New clamps would be advised as well.

+1.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
X
Quote from: Chrome;404768

Thats another thing I was planning to do. I just wasn't sure if it was overkill (to my bank account) or if it was a good idea.
I have almost every book ever made for the 88 cougar.(Original services manuals B VOL 1 and 2, D, and Haynes and a Chilton's and the EVTM)
I know I should be looking in the books before I ask, but off hand does anyone know if they have all the lengths and diameter of all tubing?
I want to have everything on hand ready to go before I start the work on the car so I don't have to make trips back and forth to the auto part store in my girlfriend's car. I know such a drag right LoL
One more question for the night. For the hose clamps I've been seeing some different styles around(Example: Part # : MP47010). Do ya'll think is really makes any different in the end? Should I just stick with the same old screw band hose clamps?

Reply #9
That's one thing I didn't think of. Thanks! I'm pretty sure it probably is the original. I'm the second owner. 55XXX or so miles on it when I bought it about 6 months ago.
The fuel rails look a bit rusted, but they should be fine as long as there is no leaks or anything right? And any bad fuel injectors would be noticeable right?

Reply #10
Quote from: thunderjet302;404767
I'd say just new gaskets. If the fuel pressure regulator is old/original throw a new Motorcraft one on. Other than that you should be good to go :).

That's one thing I didn't think of. Thanks! I'm pretty sure it probably is the original. I'm the second owner. 55XXX or so miles on it when I bought it about 6 months ago.
The fuel rails look a bit rusted, but they should be fine as long as there is no leaks or anything right? And any bad fuel injectors would be noticeable right?

I just looked this part number up. Does this look like it includes every gasket I will need(Except the valve cover gaskets)? Part # 10885A

Sorry I'm just trying to make sure I get this done quickly but right. Again thank for everyone's help with this!

Reply #11
Quote from: Alchemist;404788
X

Thats another thing I was planning to do. I just wasn't sure if it was overkill (to my bank account) or if it was a good idea.
I have almost every book ever made for the 88 cougar.(Original services manuals B VOL 1 and 2, D, and Haynes and a Chilton's and the EVTM)
I know I should be looking in the books before I ask, but off hand does anyone know if they have all the lengths and diameter of all tubing?
I want to have everything on hand ready to go before I start the work on the car so I don't have to make trips back and forth to the auto part store in my girlfriend's car. I know such a drag right LoL
One more question for the night. For the hose clamps I've been seeing some different styles around(Example: Part # : MP47010). Do ya'll think is really makes any different in the end? Should I just stick with the same old screw band hose clamps?
Sorry, don't know hose sizes off hand. I looked at those hose clamps. They look nice, and you wouldn't have to worry about them backing off. Screw band clamps do have issues on occasion, but not often. Screw band clamps should be fine. As long as you use new ones that are the right size, there shouldn't be any problems. Besides, they are much cheaper!

Nice Mustang pic. Kind of random though...

Reply #12
Quote from: Alchemist;404786
I was planning of replacing all the bolts while I was down there just for easy access for way down the road if I ever get down there and do a full engine rebuild.
I'm slowly learning more and more about cars so I love doing everything myself. That and I'm way too cheap to pay someone else for something I can learn to do, haha.
Whats ya'll opinion on the wing bolts? Do they hold just as well as regular bolts? Also while searching for bolts I came across "Valve Cover Load Spreader". Is this just another thing sold for peoples ease of mind and to make money? Or is there any actual advantages to these?

From what I am told, wing bolts don't hold well. I think they look funny anyhow. Valve cover load spreaders are good for engines that have valve cover leak issues. Small block Chevys tend to have problems there. Your 5.0, however, is not pr0ne to valve cover leaks. With a good set of gaskets (like the ones mentioned earlier) you should never have a problem.

Reply #13
Quote from: Alchemist;404786

I tried the fancy FMS valve cover fasteners on my 302 aluminum valve covers, they are a pain in the ass!  They constantly come loose and leak oil.  This time, I am leaving the studs in the heads and just using vinyl lined lock nuts.  The load spreaders do not work work with this design of valve cover, maybe the stamped steel valve covers. 

Good luck with that nice cat!!

Reply #14
Quote from: Chrome;404793
Sorry, don't know hose sizes off hand. I looked at those hose clamps. They look nice, and you wouldn't have to worry about them backing off. Screw band clamps do have issues on occasion, but not often. Screw band clamps should be fine. As long as you use new ones that are the right size, there shouldn't be any problems. Besides, they are much cheaper!

Nice Mustang pic. Kind of random though...

Haha. The picture was because of the comment of driving my girlfriend's car back and forth to the part store. That is her car. Guess I could have been a little clearer on that.