Skip to main content
Topic: Opinions on rebuilding my the upper half of my 5.0 (Read 3238 times) previous topic - next topic

Opinions on rebuilding my the upper half of my 5.0

Reply #30
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;405139
No, a tap cuts new threads where the old ones have been stripped or ruined. A chaser will clean foreign material out of existing threads without cutting into or creating a new(er) thread.

I'd use compressed air (dry, so no moisture) to blow out the bolt holes. Also the bore brushes (or whatever they're called) for oil passages, that sort of thing. You can't get a block clean enough before assembly.

Preferably I would use a air compressor, but I don't have access to that right now. That's why I was going to try a shop vac. Would something like keyboard cleaner work for compressed air?

Reply #31
You can purge them out with a can of brake cleaner with a rag held over the hole.  If you have not done it before practice on one that will not blow all kinds of  into an area you do not want it to go.  Its easy and gets the threads nice and clean.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #32
Don't leave rags in the motor UGH lol

Reply #33
Quote from: STANG8U;405193

I've gotten this tip a few times. I'm taking it that apparently some of ya'll have learned this from experience? LoL

Reply #34
And don't use water to flush your engine, either. (remember THAT thread? lol)
What about the ass-pirate that poured NOS energy drink in his bike's tank because he thought it was really N2O, lmmfao.
Sadly these folks are capable of reproducing.
Anyhow, back to the topic: OP, you could also buy a small air tank, fill it at any gas station, and put a blower nozzle on the hose and use it. Would be a tedious process, take a few trips, but it's better than nothing at all. The brake cleaner is also a very good idea, and one I'll remember as well.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #35
Dude !

I was doing a motor a while back and was hyped of on rock stars and used black rags to plug the intake ports on the heads while I cleaned it up

Well I got way ahead of my self and seals the intake ....... I didint notice the BLACK RAGS !! Lol

Dropped the motor in and shot rags out the long tubes UGH lol

Had to pull the heads and remove the valve because there were rags stuck in them

Point being don't drink a lot of energy drinks and use black rags lmfao

Reply #36
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;405198
What about the ass-pirate that poured NOS energy drink in his bike's tank because he thought it was really N2O, lmmfao.
Anyhow, back to the topic: OP, you could also buy a small air tank, fill it at any gas station, and put a blower nozzle on the hose and use it. Would be a tedious process, take a few trips, but it's better than nothing at all. The brake cleaner is also a very good idea, and one I'll remember as well.
There was a guy that poured sand into his 94/95 cobra engine to port it lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #37
That's just UGH lol

Reply #38
Quote from: STANG8U;405199
Dude !

I was doing a motor a while back and was hyped of on rock stars and used black rags to plug the intake ports on the heads while I cleaned it up

Well I got way ahead of my self and seals the intake ....... I didint notice the BLACK RAGS !! Lol

Dropped the motor in and shot rags out the long tubes UGH lol

Had to pull the heads and remove the valve because there were rags stuck in them

Point being don't drink a lot of energy drinks and use black rags lmfao

I'll keep that in mind! But energy drinks are the best tool in my tool box! LoL. I haven't bought Rockstars in a long time. I go to the local Ollie's and they have 24 packs of engery drinks for 3.99-4.99. So there is a tip for ya'll energy drink junkies!

Reply #39
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;405198

I was thinking about going the brake cleaner route. Does sound like a pretty good idea.
NOS, Sand, Water?.....Things not so good for the energy. Would be good for making a cool sand castle though! haha.

Reply #40
Quote from: Alchemist;404801
I guess you can't go wrong with doing it that way.  Are you using just 1/4-20 nuts from the hardware store? Or did you get them from an auto store? Because I looked (quickly) and didn't see any with the vinyl lined lock nuts from auto stores.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Farm n Fleet was much cheaper

Reply #41
I like to use acetone and different sers, scotchbrite pads, razorblades, etc to make sure my gasket surfaces are nice and clean.  I have this one ser that has a four sided stone piece that locks into the handle.  There are two flat/blade like surefaces on each side that can be flipped when one becomes dull, but each push or pull with the handle will remove gasket surface.  If I was smart, I could remember the name of the tool.

Reply #42
Quote from: beast50;405215
I like to use acetone and different sers, scotchbrite pads, razorblades, etc to make sure my gasket surfaces are nice and clean.  I have this one ser that has a four sided stone piece that locks into the handle.  There are two flat/blade like surefaces on each side that can be flipped when one becomes dull, but each push or pull with the handle will remove gasket surface.  If I was smart, I could remember the name of the tool.

Haha This magical tool you speak of, is specifically designed for removing gaskets?

Reply #43
Quote from: STANG8U;405193

I have never left rags in an engine, but I have heard many horror stories.

Reply #44
Quote from: Alchemist;405207
I was thinking about going the brake cleaner route. Does sound like a pretty good idea.
NOS, Sand, Water?.....Things not so good for the energy. Would be good for making a cool sand castle though! haha.

Brake cleaner is all I have ever used. Cuts through grease and oil like nothing else. It always takes more than you buy. lol

Where ever you do this, make sure there is good ventalation. Those fumes will get ya in a hurry!