Skip to main content
Topic: Opinions on rebuilding my the upper half of my 5.0 (Read 3377 times) previous topic - next topic

Opinions on rebuilding my the upper half of my 5.0

Reply #15
Quote from: beast50;404795
I tried the fancy FMS valve cover fasteners on my 302 aluminum valve covers, they are a pain in the ass!  They constantly come loose and leak oil.  This time, I am leaving the studs in the heads and just using vinyl lined lock nuts.  The load spreaders do not work work with this design of valve cover, maybe the stamped steel valve covers. 

Good luck with that nice cat!!

I guess you can't go wrong with doing it that way.  Are you using just 1/4-20 nuts from the hardware store? Or did you get them from an auto store? Because I looked (quickly) and didn't see any with the vinyl lined lock nuts from auto stores.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Reply #16
Well here is some of the things i would do. Clean and chase all bolt holes. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and slightly ruffed up. Just something i do i never use the front and rear lower intake gaskets. I use silicone. The sock gaskets just do not make it. Also use fast tack to secure the manifold side rails to the head. And when cleaning up the intake surface of the head be sure not to break the retaining tabs that hold the intake side gaskets. Just a tip!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #17
Quote from: TOM Renzo;404803
Well here is some of the things i would do. Clean and chase all bolt holes. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and slightly ruffed up. Just something i do i never use the front and rear lower intake gaskets. I use silicone. The sock gaskets just do not make it. Also use fast tack to secure the manifold side rails to the head. And when cleaning up the intake surface of the head be sure not to break the retaining tabs that hold the intake side gaskets. Just a tip!!

This is all great info nobody thinks about mentioning. It makes me question something though. Are we pulling both the upper and lower intake? As far as I know, there is no difference in the lower intake on the Mustang and the one on the Cat. I would just leave the lower alone. If you do pull it, I would line the lifter valley with rags while cleaning the gasket surfaces. Keep the debris out of the engine. Just don't forget to remove the rags before assembly!

Reply #18
Quote from: beast50;404795
I tried the fancy FMS valve cover fasteners on my 302 aluminum valve covers, they are a pain in the ass!  They constantly come loose and leak oil.  This time, I am leaving the studs in the heads and just using vinyl lined lock nuts.  The load spreaders do not work work with this design of valve cover, maybe the stamped steel valve covers. 

Good luck with that nice cat!!

Valve cover studs are a great thing. They hold the gasket in place as you put on the valve cover.

Reply #19
You can also use studs in the lower as i do. just a thought. I just assumed he was doing the lower. If just the upper that job takes about 30 minutes wearing boxing gloves!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #20
X2 on the lowers being the same...

If the stang lower came with fuel injectors, there 19# and will not run with the stock s.o. computer that is tuned for 14#ers.

An h.o. upgrade isn't much more then heads intake and cam. You could probably get away with stock exhaust and upgrade to duals later down the road. Stock parts are cheap.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #21
Quote from: TOM Renzo;404894
You can also use studs in the lower as i do. just a thought. I just assumed he was doing the lower. If just the upper that job takes about 30 minutes wearing boxing gloves!!

+1 This makes the job about 100% easier. I also use studs to align the upper and lower intake. It keeps the gasket from popping out from between the upper and lower intake.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #22
Quote from: Alchemist;404801
I guess you can't go wrong with doing it that way.  Are you using just 1/4-20 nuts from the hardware store? Or did you get them from an auto store? Because I looked (quickly) and didn't see any with the vinyl lined lock nuts from auto stores.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Hardware store, or even Fastenal, if they have a local store. teflon lock nut is what you're wanting, probably.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #23
Quote from: TOM Renzo;404803

Thanks for the advice. When chasing holes, is the special tool needed or will a tap do just the same? And to clean out the stuff in the holes after a shop vac should do the job right?

Reply #24
Quote from: Chrome;404886
This is all great info nobody thinks about mentioning. It makes me question something though. Are we pulling both the upper and lower intake? As far as I know, there is no difference in the lower intake on the Mustang and the one on the Cat. I would just leave the lower alone. If you do pull it, I would line the lifter valley with rags while cleaning the gasket surfaces. Keep the debris out of the engine. Just don't forget to remove the rags before assembly!

But I thought for every rag left in the engine I would gain 5 HP. LoL j/p.

Reply #25
I see a few of ya'll questioning me changing the lower intake. There is no real reasoning behind it except I was going to be putting a painted one in. So for now would it just be best to do the upper intake and valve covers for now? Everything has been running fine except within the last week my RPMs have been surging at idle. Before this is was smooth and quiet. I went to check the EGR valve and the plastic vacuum tube snapped in my hand. So I will definitely redo all my vacuum lines while I'm at this. Do ya'll know of any grounds that would be easier to get to while i have the upper off? I'm pretty sure if I remember right there is two at the rear of the engine for the O2 sensors I want to check on.
Thanks for all the replies I have gotten so far. Sorry I've been a ghost for a few days. Christmas shopping for people I haven't seen in 8 years is kind of hard! Wish you all a Happy Holidays!

Reply #26
Quote from: Haystack;405017
X2 on the lowers being the same...

If the stang lower came with fuel injectors, there 19# and will not run with the stock s.o. computer that is tuned for 14#ers.

An h.o. upgrade isn't much more then heads intake and cam. You could probably get away with stock exhaust and upgrade to duals later down the road. Stock parts are cheap.

I was reading about the HO upgrade on coolcats. I plan on doing this in the future. I'm slowly getting the parts together. I just wanted to do these few things with the parts I have for now. I also already installed Shorty headers(a pain getting the bolts in right) and the BBK 2.5" X-pipe (No cat-back for now)

Reply #27
No, a tap cuts new threads where the old ones have been stripped or ruined. A chaser will clean foreign material out of existing threads without cutting into or creating a new(er) thread.

I'd use compressed air (dry, so no moisture) to blow out the bolt holes. Also the bore brushes (or whatever they're called) for oil passages, that sort of thing. You can't get a block clean enough before assembly.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #28
Quote from: Alchemist;405138
I was reading about the HO upgrade on coolcats. I plan on doing this in the future. I'm slowly getting the parts together. I just wanted to do these few things with the parts I have for now. I also already installed Shorty headers(a pain getting the bolts in right) and the BBK 2.5" X-pipe (No cat-back for now)

Do you have an HO upper/lower?
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #29
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;405140
Do you have an HO upper/lower?

Yes I do. I just haven't got the time to paint them yet.