Skip to main content
Topic: PCV filter on the 5.0 (Read 9113 times) previous topic - next topic

PCV filter on the 5.0

so , i decided to yank my PCV screen out of the lower intake,, disgusting!!!

needless to say it did not go back in.  Its funny how much better the car sounds! and im sure it breaths better to.

no more shiznit smokish stuff puffin out the oil fill now,, amazing how some of this stupid stuff works aginst you.

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #1
Quote from: jcassity;404400
so , i decided to yank my PCV screen out of the lower intake,, disgusting!!!

needless to say it did not go back in.  Its funny how much better the car sounds! and im sure it breaths better to.

no more shiznit smokish stuff puffin out the oil fill now,, amazing how some of this stupid stuff works aginst you.

I've opened them, removed the element, washed with carb or brake cleaner, and put back together...

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #2
I think a new one is ~$1.00 at the parts store. It makes a difference if the old one is clogged.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #3
im sure they put a filter there for a reason but the other version that simply stuffed in the valve cover didnt have it,, so why should this,,
if you all think it needs to go back in, then ok.  easy enough to clean

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #4
I would put a new one in.
Mike

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #5
My thought is this: Ford (or any company) makes its cars as cheap as it can so it makes the most money. There is a reason this thing is on the car, otherwise it wouldn't be.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #6
You'll likely suck some oil out of the lifter valley without it...

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #7
yeah,,,,,your right,  i should stuff it back in.

i was thinking how the other version never had a prefilter and it sat right on top of the valve cover, there's a splash guard for the pcv though.

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #8
JAY REMEMBER THE MSD UNIT. The one in the garbage. You might want to do the same with that PART. Been chucking them in the garbage for years.  By the way it is not a FILTER!!!!

:hick::mullet::burnout:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #9
intake sucks,
it sucks crank case vapor through a hose thats connected to the PCV
The pcv is in the crank case vapor system
the metal mesh is down stream of the pcv,,
and it looks like a filter,, but what its it then?

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #10
Quote from: jcassity;404448
intake sucks,
it sucks crank case vapor through a hose thats connected to the PCV
The pcv is in the crank case vapor system
the metal mesh is down stream of the pcv,,
and it looks like a filter,, but what its it then?

It's a vapor condenser for lack of a better term... What it does is collect oil vapors and condense them back to liquid where they drip back into the engine... Over time the vapors collect sort of like creosote in a chimney, blocking flow... Some engines WILL use oil if removed, I've always replaced/cleaned them...

The 5.8 Lightning intakes have a baffle over the opening below the PCV valve and don't use the strainer(vapor condenser)...

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #11
id rather have a baffle than this.

its still on my work bench, i may just clean it out.  Problem is i feel like its just going to clog back up again and it is actually in a bitch of a spot to do preventative maint on.

with the intake off, it was tricky but i got in there with real long needle nose pliars to yank the whole assembly out.

i dono, it sure looks like something that i dont think i really want restricting suction.

btw tom, i just installed that 1/2'' spacer you sold me several years ago.

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #12
JAY Trash it in the circular file.  Seems like we still do not know what it is fore??? Guess again !!!
:burnout:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #13
Quote from: jcassity;404458
id rather have a baffle than this.

its still on my work bench, i may just clean it out.  Problem is i feel like its just going to clog back up again and it is actually in a bitch of a spot to do preventative maint on.

with the intake off, it was tricky but i got in there with real long needle nose pliars to yank the whole assembly out.

i dono, it sure looks like something that i dont think i really want restricting suction.

btw tom, i just installed that 1/2'' spacer you sold me several years ago.

I agree, they do prevent the oil from coming up into the hose going to the plenum. They are only a couple bucks at the store. IT'd buy a new one and put a new one back in. The intake manifold should have a baffle, mine broke off at some point when I changed the intake gaskets so I was getting oil sucked up the pcv valve. If you ever want to replace it again, screw a long screw into the unit, pull the unit out with needlenose pliers and install a new one. For the time, the mess, and aggravation to clean it, it's probably worth the couple bucks for a new one.

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #14
Quote from: TOM Renzo;404480
JAY Trash it in the circular file.  Seems like we still do not know what it is fore??? Guess again !!!
:burnout:

OK O smart one what's it for?