Skip to main content
Topic: PCV filter on the 5.0 (Read 9114 times) previous topic - next topic

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #15
Quote from: jpc647;404488
For the time, the mess, and aggravation to clean it, it's probably worth the couple bucks for a new one.

My thoughts exactly.
Mike

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #16
its all cleaned up,, just a bunch of mangled up brass smashed up into a round chamber,,  why spend money to buy something that can either go in the round file cabinet or back in the car after its cleaned up.

if it were falling apart, thats a different story.

just speculation but will dig into the shop manual for a purpose description but,, i think its to catch things that would have eventually made it to the tail pipe and fail emissions.... ,, ie- a choke point but helps meet cafe rules.  its the catalytic coverter of the crank case imho.

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #17
Nope guess again!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #19
TurboCoupe50, (Tom)...So, If I have the full baffle from Ford on the bottom of my Cobra lower intake....would you think I need that screen or not? Just curious. I replaced mine not very long ago, but it makes me wonder.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #20
I've got the big baffle on the GT40 lower in my car and I still run the screen. I'd rather not have the PCV system suck oil into the intake.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #21
Quote from: vinnietbird;404512
TurboCoupe50, (Tom)...So, If I have the full baffle from Ford on the bottom of my Cobra lower intake....would you think I need that screen or not? Just curious. I replaced mine not very long ago, but it makes me wonder.

Apparently it isn't necessary with the full baffle, my '93 Lightning didn't have one(yep I've sold it), and neither did the one I picked up to use on a 408 swap in the Bird... Those lowers are a large(ahem wide) version of the GT40 & Cobra lowers...

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #23
I've pulled a ton of those out and they are always clogged. Usually clean them with carb cleaner or get a new one. PCV is good for keeping the oil clean but does introduce crud to the intake. I guess a nice tight motor with little blow-by would be OK without the baffle, but I always run with one. It catches drops of liquid. I think it would just stop up downstream in the hose or manifold nipple without it. To test for stopped up PCV, remove vent hose at the oil filler cap and place your thumb tightly over the nipple. Rev the motor a couple of times, let it return to idle, and when you remove your thumb it should "gasp" in some air showing a vacuum in the crankcase. If not, the filter is probably the problem. By the way, if this thing stops up water will condense in the oil and collect in the cam valley as a grey creamy goo.

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #24
i wonder if one of those fuel filters for like a riding mower would substitute in place of this part so it could be installed between the intake and pcv.
most of em are clear and you can "see" when it needs changed.  just thinking........?

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #25
It is not a filter boys and girls!!!!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #27
Quote from: jcassity;404535
i wonder if one of those fuel filters for like a riding mower would substitute in place of this part so it could be installed between the intake and pcv.
most of em are clear and you can "see" when it needs changed.  just thinking........?

I was just thinking the same thing, then I read your post.

I think it would let the oil vapors condense in it, instead of the intake.  I dunno know though??
Mike

PCV filter on the 5.0

Reply #28
Quote from: jcassity;404535

This is the same thing, but expensive: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/ST-5553710/1979-04-Mustang-Oil-Seperator-Kit
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.