Skip to main content
Topic: New Here 83 Thunderbird (Read 57076 times) previous topic - next topic

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #45
Took the pre-bent line off parts car for the rear brakes, clean out the line and re-installed on my car.  Fit good!!

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #46
Cars looking good great job! wondering what Lincoln the rear end came out of and if it will bolt right up on an stock 83?

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #47
I am still trying to cross some info on the rear end, rear brake calipers, but no they welded brackets to make it fit from what I can see.

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #48
Mounted mad box and sway bar with new bushings today

XX

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #49
looking great, progress every day! Awesome!

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #50
Quote from: Sean;400773
Cars looking good great job! wondering what Lincoln the rear end came out of and if it will bolt right up on an stock 83?

I went to Napa and looks like rearend and brake calibers are out of a 1976 thunderbird.

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #51
X

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #52
Black out fender wells and painted rear sway bar
XX

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #53
Looking good there 83TB  :cheers::drink:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #54
X
Found at salvage yard today, got a power mirror too for pass side.

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #56
I pm you trinom

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #57
Started working on welding up hole at the bottom of rear window.

XX

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #58
Nice bird.

Hello from P'cola... ;)

Looks to me like someone redrilled the axles/rotors with the standard car bolt pattern.
Most large FoMoCo cars in the 60s-70s, like Lincolns and T-Birds had a large, non-standard bolt pattern.
They did a good job. I can't tell, but they might have even put 'new' axles in it with the correct bolt pattern.

One thing though, those brakes are old tech, somewhat complex, and prices on parts are going up the older they get.
You could possibly swap on some late model Crown Vic/Exploder rear discs, depending on which ends are on the axle tubes.
Small bearing 9"/big bearing 8" ends can use the Vic rear discs, while 'New' big bearing 9" (or sometimes called Torino bearings), use the Exploder rear discs.
The nice thing about the newer discs, besides cheap and plentiful, is that the E-brake setup is a drum setup, and drum brake E-brake cables are an easy swap.

Edit
After another look, they redrilled the axles. You can see the old stud holes under the rotor.
Another thing to note, it's possible that the rear is a 9 3/8" Ford rear.
Those oversize cars with large bolt pattern wheels usually had the 9 3/8".
It is almost identical to a 9", and you can even directly convert the housing over to all 9" parts. I am not sure what does and does not interchange (regarding the diff and gear set) if you try to hybrid them, but a complete parts swap is supposed to be direct.

New Here 83 Thunderbird

Reply #59
Thanks for the info, looks like we found that I can use the Exploerer disc stuff.