Skip to main content
Topic: pulling motor (Read 1542 times) previous topic - next topic

pulling motor

I'll be pulling the motor out of my friends turbo coupe. I am wondering what i need. I know i need a hoist and engine stand but is there anything else. A post on craigslist had a hoist and a "Come along". I am not sure what a "Come along" is. do i need it?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

pulling motor

Reply #1
Tools. You'll need tools.otherwise, postpone the work until you get tools.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

pulling motor

Reply #2
I never used a come a long pulling an engine. i DO put two space saver spares on the front and raise the rear of the car for a better angle of attack once everything is unbolted and ready to pull.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

pulling motor

Reply #3
a leveler comes in handy when pulling motor and trans.. my guess is, they were using the come-along to act as a ghetto leveler.. HD ratchet straps do the job quite nicely, too
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

pulling motor

Reply #4
Quote from: Shadow;384829
a leveler comes in handy when pulling motor and trans.. my guess is, they were using the come-along to act as a ghetto leveler.. HD ratchet straps do the job quite nicely, too

I used a come along last time I put the HO in the Sport...busted the dist. cap and the rotor. Next time I'll try it the way Vinnie says.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

pulling motor

Reply #5
With the rear raised and the tiny tires up front, the engine just came right out

pulling motor

Reply #6
my biggest pet peive with these cars is the fact that the upper rad support is welded to the car.. this is something i hope to change to make life easier lol

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

pulling motor

Reply #7
I've also thought of that. If the upper core support was detachable, the engine would literally slide right out (with a slight lift and removal of the header panel). We cut the core like that on a parts car and it made engine removal a breeze.

pulling motor

Reply #8
time to attack my car with the sawzall!! AGAIN!

pulling motor

Reply #9
Don't forget, on our cars, it's basically a structural element..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

pulling motor

Reply #10
You'll need long bolts to go through the engine stand mounting points to the block. The bell housing bolts are no where near long enough. Sandwich bags are great for putting nuts and bolts in. Label them with a sharpie too. I pulled the engine out of my parts car a few weeks ago, so those are the biggest thing that comes to mind.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

pulling motor

Reply #11
I laid a plastic sheet under the car, then absorbent pads on that. No fluids on the concrete at all.

pulling motor

Reply #12
Quote from: Shadow;384840
time to attack my car with the sawzall!! AGAIN!

More of your half ass repairs eh...

I dropped the 5.0 and AOD in as a unit in my TC no issues, it'll come out the same way...

pulling motor

Reply #13
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;384844
Don't forget, on our cars, it's basically a structural element..

same as durangos, but they're bolted in securely enough.. i'm not going to attempt it without some serious thought, planning and a little added reassureance.. don't want to watch the lower support fold in half after i cut the top off LOL

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;384887
More of your half ass repairs eh...

wah wah wah is all i hear.. get off my nuts

pulling motor

Reply #14
Make or buy a motor plate makes pulling and installing much easier.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin: