Skip to main content
Topic: My 87 Tbird and cougar (Read 6418 times) previous topic - next topic

My 87 Tbird and cougar

Here is a story of how I came into Foxbodies! I was delivering a common rail spoogemins to my buddy and my Dodge broke down....

X

My 87 Tbird and cougar

Reply #1
I'm confused?!
...and there was light!

My 87 Tbird and cougar

Reply #2
Piled up the transfer case and exploded my transmission wide open at nearly 80MPH! So were stranded in Hope, B.C., Canada, missed the bus, no car rental place, no taxi. So I notice a small garage with some used cars while entering town in the tow truck. A Ford Taurus, a civic, a focus and a white 87 tbird. So I start running across town with suitcases to the place to see a guy closing the shop with no shirt on and a beer going. I start yelling from 2 blocks away I need to buy a car $1000 cash money right now! So the guy is late for his nieces wedding, I convince him to let us pick a car he offers the Taurus and I say F#$% the Taurus I want rear wheel drive! So we do the transfer papers, but no place to get insurance, so by this time the compound across town where my truck is has closed, so I climb the fence and take the plates of the dodge with the stupid guard dog chasing me around the truck a few times before I could get the plates off. Get the plates on the bird and we're off with all 80hp that the 3.8 was making. Get back to Port McNeill, B.C., 2 days later and get pulled over a block before my house and get a ticket for no insurance as truck plates are different than car plates in B.C.. It is not a few months later when I get my dodge back and I break it AGAIN at the drag races. So I start thinking, I could build a whole drag car for the price of 1 built diesel transmission!

My 87 Tbird and cougar

Reply #3
lol, ok that made me chuckle, thanks! :P
...and there was light!

My 87 Tbird and cougar

Reply #4
I built a 347 stroker that sucked right from the start. I drove 100miles and checked the oil, nothing on the dip stick! The thing burned 2 quarts of oil every 100miles! Ran it for awhile kept taking back to the guy who built it and he kept saying keep drivin it, it has to get hot to seat the rings. Well I got a couple thousand miles on it, and started putting some gauges on. When I got to the oil pressure guage there was nothing at idle, 20psi at 3000rpm driving. Took it back again to the guy and got it back a week later, still no oil pressure and now overheating everywhere. Got pissed off drove it home and tore the engine out. The bearing looked like they came out of a million mile motor! The crank surfaces had wear thicker than a dime! Found weird markings in the cylinders like a piss poor hone job, then when I took the oil pump apart, I found pieces of wire wheel inside and broken pieces of metal.

Tubular k member

Reply #5
So then I thought well if I am gonna do it again this time it will be all or nothing!!

XX

My 87 Tbird and cougar

Reply #6
Completely gutted the car, spent a few days with a propane torch removing all that rubbery asphalt stuff on the floor

XX

Got a back half kit and roll cage

Reply #7
XXX

Got me a dart block

Reply #8
XX

Got a 1 off cam from Comp cams

Reply #9
XX

Ported, Milled, and re-worked the heads

Reply #10
XXX

My 87 Tbird and cougar

Reply #11
Also bought powerglide with 6500rpm stall convertor and trans brake, Fabricated 9 inch rear end, and too much more to list....

some pics of what the car looks like now

Reply #12
XXX

and more

Reply #13
XXX

Here's what the cougar looked like when I bought it

Reply #14
X