Skip to main content
Topic: How much would you pay for an MKVII? (Read 4453 times) previous topic - next topic

How much would you pay for an MKVII?

I'm looking at an 87 Lincoln MK VII. The seller is asking $900, which I think is a little high. The transmission is "acting up" but he states that it has the 225 HP 5.0. Assuming he's correct, that means it has E7 heads as opposed to the E6s. Would the 87 HO have forged pistons? I plan on taking the engine and putting it in my car, along with the entire exhaust system. Cats will be cashed in, but I want the headers and with a little welding I can have my exhaust actually exit out of the back of the car. I'll be taking the 8.8 disk brakes rear end. He says it has 3.27 gears and traction lock. I'll be using the front rotors and calipers as well. Might need the spindles as well? I don't have a very good understanding of how the front end on our cars work. I haven't had to replace anything on my car yet :hick: I'm hoping to avoid any problems with ABS, I might have to use my old master cylinder. The rest of the car will be parted out and sold piece by piece. Widow motors, lock actuators, any decent looking interior pieces, fog lights, etc. The shell will be sped.

Do you think this is a worthy investment? Thanks.

2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #1
$900 sounds about right for that car around here  , however I live in the land of no rust .

I have owned a ton of different cars in my life and by far my Mark VII was my favorite daily driver
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2
I had an '87 Mark VII I used for parts, and it had the 5.0 H.O but with flat top pistons. It Does have the H.O engine, same as the Stang. Whether it has the flat tops or valve reliefs, can't say. Yes, it'll have forged pistons from the factory. If the engine is good, and you plan on using it, and the diff and front 5 lug parts, I'd say it's worth it, and you'll get some money back frm selling the shell and parts as you can.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Cool, I'm glad you guys think that's a fair price. I'm gonna pull the heads off the engine when I get it home and check to see what's hiding under there. Freshen it up if needed, hopefully it won't need a rebuild.
2002 Honda Civic EX

Reply #4
2 things: The 5 lug fronts won't clear anything but the factory Ford 5 lug wheels, as the Lincoln hubs are larger than say, an SN95, but other than that.

And as Vinnie stated, the pistons are forged, and they do have the valve reliefs. Not sure if the '7 spindles will work, but in any case, you can run the 5 lug rotor on an '87-'88 TC or '87-'93 Stang 5.0 spindle.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;380956
2 things: The 5 lug fronts won't clear anything but the factory Ford 5 lug wheels, as the Lincoln hubs are larger than say, an SN95, but other than that.

easy fix.. pull the rotors, clean them up and visit your local machine shop.. i recommend waiting to do this when you get your wheels of choice, so that you're not wasting time running back and forth to the machine shop, because they haven't been milled enough.. apparently, some people use a grinder to do this, but i prefer to have a professional machinist have at it with a lathe

edit.. and 900 sounds fair.. but if it doesn't say FIRM, offer him less and go from there
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #6
Screw the machine shop, just pop the studs out, mount it backwards on a brake lathe, and use the drum attachment to turn the center down. Still not gonna help much, though, because the center is still gonna be too tall to fit under most aftermarket wheels...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
Did I miss the mileage? The mileage is going to have an impact on the condition of the rear, engine, etc...
...and there was light!

Reply #8
It's a 25 year old parts car....I'd be most concerned with engine maintenance, how it was driven, and what previous mechanical work was done. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;380968
It's a 25 year old parts car....I'd be most concerned with engine maintenance, how it was driven, and what previous mechanical work was done. :)

Absolutely, but there isn't a real accurate way to get that information. You could ask the guy that you are buying it from, but when was the last time you were looking at a car and the owner said "I only changed the oil when it became 4 quarts low and only checked the coolant when it overheated...." which to be honest is how a lot of people look at "car maintenance".
...and there was light!

Reply #10
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;380965
Screw the machine shop, just pop the studs out, mount it backwards on a brake lathe, and use the drum attachment to turn the center down. Still not gonna help much, though, because the center is still gonna be too tall to fit under most aftermarket wheels...

that does the job, too.. but i can only imagine the look you'll get from the guy you're asking to do it lol the center cap thing is something i haven't completely come up with a solution to, yet.. but since i don't currently own center caps for my wheels.. i have time to find a solution lol
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #11
I'm betting it has flat top pistons like the '86 Stang 5.0.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #12
Well, I went and bought it. Talked him down to 700. The car has 100k on it. The engine sounds good, one of the cats is rattling though. Probably could use a refresh, new bearings, rings, gaskets, etc. I'm not convinced it has E7 heads, it was an early 87, made in February. He said he looked up the VIN number, and a website told him that it had the 225HP version. I don't care too much either way, E7 heads can be bought cheap. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to score a set of GT40s.

As far as the wheels go, I REALLY want a set of those optional BBS wheels. I'll put some nice summer tires on them, then keep this set of wheels for the winter. I'm doing the same thing now with a set of Turbines and the stock steel wheels.
2002 Honda Civic EX

Reply #13
I see cancer on the door and front of the fender, I bet the trunk and floor boards are rot as well. I'd probably pass.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #14
Quote from: dragon574444;380978
Well, I went and bought it. Talked him down to 700. The car has 100k on it. The engine sounds good, one of the cats is rattling though. Probably could use a refresh, new bearings, rings, gaskets, etc. I'm not convinced it has E7 heads, it was an early 87, made in February. He said he looked up the VIN number, and a website told him that it had the 225HP version. I don't care too much either way, E7 heads can be bought cheap. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to score a set of GT40s.

As far as the wheels go, I REALLY want a set of those optional BBS wheels. I'll put some nice summer tires on them, then keep this set of wheels for the winter. I'm doing the same thing now with a set of Turbines and the stock steel wheels.

What's the VIN? That car could be extremely rare if it's a 1987 with the 225 hp motor.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)