Skip to main content
Topic: LS1 Killer? (Read 8130 times) previous topic - next topic

LS1 Killer?

The forum has been kind of slow lately, so I thought I'd start a conversation that will probably get a lot of responses. 

I'm sure most of us are pretty familiar with Vinnie's car and all the mods he's done to it.  How do you think his car would fare going up against a stock LS1 Camaro at the track? 

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say on this.
William

LS1 Killer?

Reply #1
I havent  been  here in a while but ill put in my .02  ive personally rode in a few ls1 cars  they run pretty stout not uncommon to run  mid 8's 1/8th  mile stock

How's vinnie's car doing  these day?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

LS1 Killer?

Reply #2
depends on what's done to the LS1.. but i'd say vinnie could take a stock LS junkmaro with ease.. some better-breathing mods and a tune, i'm sorry vinnie, but i think the Little puppies would come out on top.. now if he had some better breathing heads, upper/lower and a cam to better suit the 2, i think vinnie could pull some nice low mid 12 (high 11's at best, depending on the combo) passes (1/4 mile of course, 1/8 mile is only half a race :p lol )
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

LS1 Killer?

Reply #3
Quote from: Shadow;379872
depends on what's done to the LS1.. but i'd say vinnie could take a stock LS junkmaro with ease.. some better-breathing mods and a tune, i'm sorry vinnie, but i think the Little puppies would come out on top.. now if he had some better breathing heads, upper/lower and a cam to better suit the 2, i think vinnie could pull some nice low mid 12 (high 11's at best, depending on the combo) passes (1/4 mile of course, 1/8 mile is only half a race :p lol )

Do you just blindly type away, not realizing the childishness of some, if not the majority of your posts?

Do you even know what mods Vinnie has done to his car?

Do you not see one thread that you don't think: "ZOMG...I can go post w in that one too!" ?

I think you didn't even read most of Don's post, you just saw the word "LS" and got a hard-on to shiznit-talk.

Go read Vinnie's sig a few times. I dunno what numbers his car can lay out on a dyno, nor do I know the power of a Camaro. Nor do I care.

But, I'm not sitting here calling a car a little puppies....I mean, get real. :toilet:

Don't you have some heads to polish? ha.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

LS1 Killer?

Reply #4
wah? rant rant rant, bitch bitch bitch.. that's all i ever hear.. i'm not even going to justify your crying with a real response, because all we'll see is more wah wah wah, rant rant rant and some bitching and moaning..

but to fill your mind with a little LSx knowledge, as much as i regret to say, a stock LS will cream a stock HO

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

LS1 Killer?

Reply #5
Quote from: Shadow;379877
wah? rant rant rant, bitch bitch bitch.. that's all i ever hear.. i'm not even going to justify your crying with a real response, because all we'll see is more wah wah wah, rant rant rant and some bitching and moaning..

but to fill your mind with a little LSx knowledge, as much as i regret to say, a stock LS will cream a stock HO

And most  built  ones.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

LS1 Killer?

Reply #6
"How do you think his car would fare going up against a stock LS1 Camaro at the track?"

The irony is that posts like yours, Shadow, are what accomplish, I guess, what the OP asked for. "Generate a lot of posts". Though not in the manner desired. The result is a BS g contest because you didn't address his question at all. Let me just put it there again. "Stock". Mkay? Lol.

Every motor can walk all over any other motor if you build it up more. Duh. I haven't kept close track of vin's signature...but all you need is a light low-optioned one of these cars and a GT40 setup, with decent gears and yeah, you're right next to a stock LS1 'maro. Similar powertrain setup and the same if not less weight.

I don't care if it's a forum or 5 friends hanging out with the same viewpoints on engines. You don't barge in and start trumpeting the competition's stuff. No one wants to hear that. It's not that it's a bad motor or anyone refuses to admit that something like the almighty LS isn't, well, almighty, but it's like Prius fans. You love yourself. We get it. Go bask in your greatness, we'll do the same lol.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

LS1 Killer?

Reply #7
!  I didn't think this would happen.  This isn't the kind of forum where I expected a Ford vs. Chevy argument, seeing that this forum only caters to Ford guys.  It looks like this is going to be another "What Octane Do You Run Thread."

As far as the original question goes, I'm familiar with what an LS1 can do, because I owned an '00 WS6.  It was a stock 6 speed.  When you have seat time in one of those cars, the first thing you notice is how slow they are off the line.  I can't tell you how tired I got, trying to play catch-up with anyone and everyone I went up against.  Once the car got rolling though, things got better from there.  When I bought the car, I was expecting one thing and got something totally different.  I LOVE the feeling of being pushed back into the seat as an American V8 builds torque and horse.  My WS6 didn't give you that feeling.  The acceleration was so smooth, you didn't really feel it.  Sure.  You could SEE the acceleration, but you couldn't FEEL it and that was a huge let down for me.

5.0 cars on the other hand are known for being quick off the line.  I don't have experience driving a built 5.0-powered car (YET), but can't see them having this same problem my WS6 had though because of their reputation (5.0 cars) for being so quick out of the hole.  It won't be long before I DO have seat time in a mildly built 5.0-powered car though.  The Red-Winged Blackbird is a 95 SN95 master cylinder and 93 Cobra brake booster shy of being ready to drive.  Once my brake booster comes in and I have a chance to install it, I'll be able to form a fisrt-hand opinion of how the two cars compare to each other. 

My car is built very similar to Vinnie's car.  The RWB is an 88 TC with a fresh Explorer 5.0 engine (advanced 16 degrees), GT40P heads and GT40 upper/lower intakes.  It has a TFS stage 1 cam, 65MM TB and EGR spacer, Mac long tube headers, Contour electric fan, aluminum drive shaft, a Super Coupe AOD with A Silverfox SPT-R (stage 2) valvebody with overdrive lock-out, a 3,000 stall non-locking Dirty Dog converter and 3.73:1 final drive ratio out back.  With the comments I've read about cars that are built like mine pulling hard to redline, I don't think a stock LS1-powered car would embarrass me in the RWB.  I think it would be fairly close.  I'm just looking forward to finally being able to see how hard the RWB pulls when I stomp on the pedal that's furthest to the rigjt!  I'm also looking forward to being able to see how the two compare for myself.
William

LS1 Killer?

Reply #8
There's a reason that in 2005 GM replaced the LS1 in the GTO with the LS2..... It's because the lowly 3v in the S197 Mustang was faster stock for stock. 

Stock LS1 F-body circa 2001 vs Vinnie's car?  I'll take Vin for the win.  Driving abilities being equal of course ;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

LS1 Killer?

Reply #9
Quote from: V8Demon;379897
There's a reason that in 2005 GM replaced the LS1 in the GTO with the LS2..... It's because the lowly 3v in the S197 Mustang was faster stock for stock. 

Stock LS1 F-body circa 2001 vs Vinnie's car?  I'll take Vin for the win.  Driving abilities being equal of course ;)

So the S197 Stangs were faster than LS1 Camaros huh?  Wow!  I didn't know that.  That's why I like this forum so much.  I learn something all the time.  With Vinnie's mods, I'd imagine he'd be able to get one heck of a jump on and LS1 car off the line.  From there I'd love to see how it played out.

Do you really have that much faith in Vinnie's driving?  :P
William

LS1 Killer?

Reply #10
I have raced a few LS1 Camaro's and T/A's with my basically stock 3v Mustang (tune, catback, cold air intake) and it was always a close race.  The LS1 is not gods gift to gearheads like all the magazines and TV shows advertise.  The new 5.0's are really showing how good the mod motors can be.

Don't get me wrong they are impressive engines, but a stock LS1 would not spank a built up 302.  I'd venture to guess that it would be a close race for Vin.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

LS1 Killer?

Reply #11
umm.. i didn't ignore or misread the question.. i answered it and gave a more detailed answer to shed a little light onto the outcome of a semi-stock LS1.. vinnie has a stock LS1 covered, for sure.. but an LS1 with a couple little bolt-ons to help the heads reach their potential, vinnie would be seeing tail lights, unfortunately..

LS1 Killer?

Reply #12
Who cares? Vinns car has more class and appeal than anything GM stuck that engine in.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

LS1 Killer?

Reply #13
Quote from: shame302;379911
Who cares? Vinns car has more class and appeal than anything GM stuck that engine in.

good point! even with his 'temporary paint so his wife wasn't embarrassed to ride in it'

LS1 Killer?

Reply #14
I am just amused that a thread about Vinnie's car can get 15 posts in it and none of them are from Vinnie.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]