Skip to main content
Topic: LS1 Killer? (Read 8131 times) previous topic - next topic

LS1 Killer?

Reply #30
And im sure you guys do realize the ls motors and sbf have more in common then the ls and sbc?

Total agreement
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

LS1 Killer?

Reply #31
Quote from: V8Demon;379963

I'm not saying this to incite a flame war or an argument, but I do feel that statement is unwarranted.

I just hate to see people hate on something that they have no dealings with or want  to learn about them.

Hence my bang for buck comment no offense meant to anyone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

LS1 Killer?

Reply #32
LS1s are great engines, hell the whole LSX family is awesome. I wish 302s could make power as easily without spliting in two;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

LS1 Killer?

Reply #33
I'm going to have to disagree. I have seen an ls1 in a 99 camaro with a cold air intake and flowmasters run 13.1 at my 4500ft elevation. You might get a mustang with gears and slicks get 13's, but you won't be knocking on 12's. I do think the factory numbers are overinflated a bit, but even a set of gt40's, "e" cam, slicks and exhaust isn't going to hit 12's. And dollar for dollar, the ls motor would kill a 302.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

LS1 Killer?

Reply #34
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;379966
And im sure you guys do realize the ls motors and sbf have more  in common then the ls and sbc?

that's because the LSx family is based off a windsor block
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

LS1 Killer?

Reply #35
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;379966
Understandable but the brand wars died  along time ago time to grow up and realize theres other stuff out  there

Im dont carry a  flag for any manfacturer and some of the older guys here that know me  can vouch for that.

I'm a tad offended by this "grow Up" comment , it is entirely possible to have respect for something but still dislike it . It's your car do as you wish but to tell others to "grow up " because they don't want to do the same thing you do is uncool . Personally I despise any cross transplanting of engines , but that's just my opinion and I know not everyone feels the same way . I however can and do respect workmanship and ingenuity even if it's not something I would do .
Fox-less at the moment

LS1 Killer?

Reply #36
Quote from: hypostang;380003
I'm a tad offended by this "grow Up" comment , it is entirely possible to have respect for something but still dislike it . It's your car do as you wish but to tell others to "grow up " because they don't want to do the same thing you do is uncool . Personally I despise any cross transplanting of engines , but that's just my opinion and I know not everyone feels the same way . I however can and do respect workmanship and ingenuity even if it's not something I would do .

I generally avoid these discussions, but Im 52 and have been anti gm as long as I can remember. I actually despise chevy's. Mostly because of a bunch of people,aftermarket etc pretending chevy is the only car made. My screen name means my V10 kills z-71's since most z71 owners act like they have the holy grail of trucks[sticker pkg and skid plates]whoopie.I have a few good mods on my F250 and have smoked many z71s.I guess I am one who wont grow up.With 273,000 miles on my odometer, just the other day I left my buds Dura way behind on hwy 35 in S Tx. {128 mph}.
But to add to this previous topic I have no clue. LOL.
1988 Thunderbird LX  557/C6 project. UPR tube K-member, A-Arms, Strange 10 way adjustable coilovers. SN-95 spindle,brakes. Manual rack, bump steer kit.  MM castor/camber plates, Dynatech 2 1/8 swap headers. Quick 9" 35 spline Moser axles,CHE lower c arms,

LS1 Killer?

Reply #37
Quote from: Haystack;379979
I'm going to have to disagree. I have seen an ls1 in a 99 camaro with a cold air intake and flowmasters run 13.1 at my 4500ft elevation. You might get a mustang with gears and slicks get 13's, but you won't be knocking on 12's. I do think the factory numbers are overinflated a bit, but even a set of gt40's, "e" cam, slicks and exhaust isn't going to hit 12's. And dollar for dollar, the ls motor would kill a 302.

There was a guy with a bone stock.S197 running consistent 13.0-13.1s....plenty of vids on the web.....it was a white car with a manual trans.  After a year or so he got bored and started modifications....

The LSx motors have head flow numbers that are gigantic in comparison to a stock 5.0.  By changing the exhaust and intake you unleash potential on a stock ls and uncover the weakness on the 5.0.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

LS1 Killer?

Reply #38
Quote from: hypostang;380003

You  got it all wrong like  i said in the comment you quoted i carry no flag for any manufacturer
 I dont  care what anyone puts in there car i  like them all and ive owened  over the  year many differant ford/chevy/mopar/mazda  etc etc engines and  most where cross transplanted.the grow up comment was simply a  way to mean to open your eyes to whats around you. I personally dont care and was only adding my .02 because you guys  got  alot of hate  nowdays here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LS1 Killer?

Reply #39
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;380024
You  got it all wrong like  i said in the comment you quoted i carry no flag for any manufacturer
 I dont  care what anyone puts in there car i  like them all and ive owened  over the  year many differant ford/chevy/mopar/mazda  etc etc engines and  most where cross transplanted.the grow up comment was simply a  way to mean to open your eyes to whats around you. I personally dont care and was only adding my .02 because you guys  got  alot of hate  nowdays here.
I understand what you are saying now , I just wanted to put my .02 in So my position was known ...  I would never say the LS series are a py engine , hell I wouldn't say that about the old SBC however I don't want one  nor do I "like" them

my best buttstuffogy would be .............Aaron Rogers is a great quarterback ... but there aint no way I'm rootin for the Packers
Fox-less at the moment

LS1 Killer?

Reply #40
Quote from: hypostang;380025

my best buttstuffogy would be .............Aaron Rogers is a great quarterback ... but there aint no way I'm rootin for the Packers

That's classic!

LS1 Killer?

Reply #41
I don't dislike LS1's.  I mean hell I wanted a Camaro until they quit making them in '02, that's how I ended up with my Mustang.  I drive a Silverado with a 5.3.  That being said, I do think that the whole LSx engine series is over rated, over hyped by magazines,  and overdone.  I get tired of seeing muscle cars with LS1's swapped in.  That' cool and all, but its so played out now that for me its refreshing to see a old school carb'd big block or something in there instead.  I realize that LSx's have great power potential, huge aftermarket, etc but it gets boring seeing the same thing over and over.

Back to the original question, I do think a well-built 302 (stroker, heads, cam,intake) could hang with and/or outrun a dead stock LS1 Camaro.  Stock for stock there is absolutely no comparison.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

LS1 Killer?

Reply #42
With
Quote from: V8Demon;380019

The LSx motors have head flow numbers that are gigantic in comparison to a stock 5.0.  By changing the exhaust and intake you unleash potential on a stock ls and uncover the weakness on the 5.0.

Thats the truth it would take a 190cc intake runner head to even begin to get close and then you still have the exhaust side to deal with thats the biggest downfall of a sbf  and well the splitting blocks lol.

I pulled my 3k+ dollar 306 for a $350.00 junkyard popper with some cheap simple mods
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LS1 Killer?

Reply #43
Most "stock" mustangs have a cold air intake, and flowmasters can make a car slower, not faster. Its about sound not performance.

The real differance is the ls is a new better and faster design, and the block won't split in half when you swap your cam and hit 400rwhp. Anyone who looks down on an ls motor in stock form doesn't know what their talking about, especially compared to a sbf. Its like saying a new 5.0 isn't that much faster then the 4.6 in a 1990 lincoln town car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

LS1 Killer?

Reply #44
I honestly think that the LSX is a great motor, simple enough. The windsor based SBF's are great too. Theyre all cast from a mineral and cost money to buy. You can build a 400 horse motor (no matter the brand, make, model, size,..... Unless its a 3cyl suzuki motor...thennnn youll be hard pressed to make 100hp) They all have their strong points, and their downfalls. Its mainly a contest of who had the deeper pockets. I myself want to build a fairly decent 351 for my bird eventually, along with a nice iron block 5.3 for my bel-air. I will probably have more cash dropped into the 351 than the LS knockoff, but thats ok. Im not here to rant and rave cause Im generally not like that and Ive kept my nose out of many threads lately to avoid the LSX vs SBF debates. I am however generally a purist when it comes to motors in SPECIFIC cars. If you walk up to a old 40's or 30's ford or dodge pickup at a car show and you getting a real good look at it and think to yourself " thats nice!" then you see a 350/350 under the hood you stop and think (well atleast I do I dunno 'bout 'chu) why would you spend the cheddar to resto-mod this thing and not have the same breed under the hood? IMO that breaks the deal on a show toy. BUT that aside from the point here we are all AUTO ENTHUSIASTS we dont care about things like that. Sleepers Mav' ,for instance, is the prime example. That car is effing gorgeous and has a shload of time, patience, blood, sweat, and busted knuckles in Im sure and its truely a BA ride with a LSX no less, Im sure it makes him happy (me too...[jealous]) Its one of a kind. Im sure that Im not the only one that looks at it and thinks "thats one bad ride".

We are all here for a reason, cause were all a little Nuckin Futs:hick:. If somebody had a 78-88 foxbody whatever, that was clean and moving under its own power hell even if it doesnt run, we like it, respect it and accept it.

IMO I think the LSX if built right will kick some tail, as with the 5.0. but you can never know until you put them side by side and run them. I personally know a guy with a 89 LX with a exploder motor and a plate system thats pushin' around  400 horse that spanked a 408 LSX in a z28. Does that make the z28 a loser? No. That just makes him go home tweak his ride and try again.. cause thats what we do.

But to the OP's statement. Vinnies bird will definatly run the  out of it IMO, but one never knows. Build it and drive it to Oklahoma and run them thats all I can say

[/end hijack] :D