Skip to main content
Topic: differneces....87-88 T-Bird (Read 16834 times) previous topic - next topic

differneces....87-88 T-Bird

Reply #15
For differences on the Sport, '87 Sports had a digi cluster, the TC style door panels, base seats, and a console, but were column shift, I *think*.
The '88 Sports had LX/Base door panels, TC seats, floor shift, and obviously the console. Not to mention the buttstuffog cluster.

That was pretty much it...and of course the '88 5.0 cars had the dual-to-single-to-dual exhaust that gained 5 HP and probably 40 pounds lol.
Mechanically the V8 cars were the same.

Differences in wiring connectors, as well.
The 3.8 cars as mentioned went to sefi instead of keeping the cfi as the '87 had.

Not that it's relevant here, but if you have a 3.8 car, and you're swapping in a 5.0, not only are the fuel lines different, but also the wiring (5.0 vs. 3.8) is somewhat different as well. I discovered this when attempting to use a 3.8 dash harness in my Sport. Both are '88. The connectors are different, and the 3.8 has a different method of connecting to the headlight harness. Just a FYI...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #16
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;366816
The switch from rear window metal trim to the vinyl strip was in Oct '87, so early '88 had the same trim as the '87... The ones I currently own have 5/88 & 6/88 build and the vinyl strip...

Earlier than 4/88 possibly? Or maybe mine WAS replaced later....hmmm.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #17
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;366817
For differences on the Sport, '87 Sports had a digi cluster, the TC style door panels, base seats, and a console, but were column shift, I *think*.
Nope they used same floor shifter as '88, the shifter in my TC came from a '87 Sport I parted...

The Sports used the same door panel as Base, LX & TC are similar if not same... I've owned 14 '87 & '88 TC, but only one ea of the '88 Base, LX and the '87 Sport... I did have a '88 Sport here for a week or so with the option to buy but decided against it...

Reply #18
Ahh wasn't sure.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #19
My '88 Sport has the metal trim on the rear window (and I'm happy about that). I believe there was a mid year change in that if I recall correctly. Both my other '88's had the plastic type trim. Hated that  once they started getting older.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #20
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;366812
Strange this thing about the back window having vinyl trim on the 88. My late build (Oct 1988) 88 had metal trim - I'm certain of this because I destroyed it taking it off for the paint job and ended up using the trim off the 87 TC parts car. Had a w of a time finding the metal clips that hold the trim on, too - I believe a member of this forum mailed me some...

Carm in Oct of '88 they were building 1989 models... All the 1988 Oct '87 & earlier builds I've seen had the metal trim, one of my '88 TC had it, possibly was a early Nov change... A guy I race with has a Oct '87 build Sport, it also has the metal trim....

Reply #21
The blue Turbo Coupe that I looked into needs the metal trim because the other rubber trim nowhere to be found.
2003 Marauder 300B
1996-97 Cobra wheel straight but weathered (For Sale)
84 TC manual shifter handle no  (For Sale)

BTW, I had a 1988 T-Bird Sport way back when. I found out that it was totalled shortly after trading it in. It still has the ignition switch recall to date.

Special thanx to EricCoolCats for showing me to this site.:bowdown:

Reply #22
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;366813
That is correct, the ECM is different in a '87 vs '88(LA2 vs LA3), the boost was limited to around 10psi in 3rd, 4th & 5th...  These days most have probably had the BCS disconnected and a adjustable valve installed it set boost, so yeah they will full boost in all gears...

BTW supposedly late '87 did receive the LA3 ECM(has been reported over on NATO)...

Thats funny it was posted that the 87 does not make boost in 3/4/ 5. That is definitely not true. And my 100% stock TC has an LA3 and i bought it brand new. For what reason would ford build a turbo car that limited boost in 1/2 gear. That statement is not true. My 87 boosts in all 5 forward gears to max. Did you see the commercial. As the matter of fact ALLDATA shows the same part number for both cars (5 SPEEDER). I am confused to the fact when ford went to the LA3. Most all my friends with 87 birds have the LA3 stock from the factory Thanks 50
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #23
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;366810
A stock '87 will NOT make full boost in all forward gears...

When this fella talks about Tbird....rest assured he knows his shiznit..he's had more TC's in his driveway at any one time than most have probably seen in our lives....most of us.

Just for the record the 87 does not boost past second gear!!!!! That statement is the silliest thing i have ever read.  (That  according to your EXPERT?????) Now you know that is NOT TRUE. And i have a 100% stock 87 that has an LA3 computer and it came that way from the factory. I dont know when they went from an LA2 to an LA3 but my car came with an LA# from ford and it makes full boost in all forward gears. By the way i know a few things about the TC fords or haven't you been reading my posts. Either way as usual you are correct and i am a DUMMY. And as a body shop i have removed more T BIRD windows than you can imagine. And both my 88 birds have vinyl and my 100% stock 87 has metal. SEE YOU.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #24
LOOK at the ford commercial and when the guy hits 3 the boost goes past 16 LBS. That is exactly what my 87 DOES and it did that from DAY ONE. Once again SEE YOU. I can feel the tension and i will take it and say BYE BYE.

Either way this is where it is AT anyway. Thank you and good bye

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx46/proguns/001-Copy-2.jpg

Reply #25
As I posted, the '87 with with LA2 ECM boosts fully in 1st & 2nd, but only around 10psi in the other gears... I have no idea when the change occurred from the LA2 to LA3 ECM, supposedly was a late year change...

The automatics were limited to 8-9psi both years do to a higher bleed rate on one of the fittings on the turbo, HP rating was cut to 150...

Reply #26
Quote from: TOM Renzo;366882
LOOK at the ford commercial and when the guy hits 3 the boost goes past 16 LBS. That is exactly what my 87 DOES and it did that from DAY ONE. Once again SEE YOU. I can feel the tension and i will take it and say BYE BYE.
Then, it's either not stock, or it's not an '87, or else it was built after the change. As for the eec's different numbers, don't take my word for it, but Ford Fuel Injection seems to be pretty confident of their knowledge...I'd trust their info before some lame-ass parts store chain.

Quote from: TOM Renzo
Either way this is where it is AT anyway. Thank you and good bye
http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx46/proguns/001-Copy-2.jpg

X
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #27
"When this fella talks about Tbird....rest assured he knows his shiznit..he's had more TC's in his driveway at any one time than most have probably seen in our lives....most of us."

Lmao another character that thinks he knows our life stories, unlike alot of the trash talkers on here, Ours actually run ;) When i was into Tbirds we had my white one, my red one that was the rainy day bad weather beater, and then our black one. ALL of them had modifications, big valve heads, schnieder cams, ect ect, do some research before you trash talk idiot.

The picture above is cute, there Must be a reason people are swaping these motors in everything, How do you feel knowing you can spend 6 grand on a good Heads/cam setup or even a supercharger on your 5.slow, and a cam only LS1 will still make more power.

Not to mention, me and my dad are off our LS1 kick, We've moved on to LS3's and LS7's for our toys now :)

Reply #28
Really ???????????........... again with this 

"Also, Turbo coupes in '87 only had boost in 1st and 2nd gear with the manual transmission. '88 had boost in all 5 gears. "
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"this was posted by a member named  "ROYLPITA"  not TurboCoupe50 and it is factually incorrect  "

Everything Tom and Turbocoupe50 posted is not incorrect ,
Tom Jr you do not need to come in here and defend your father every time someone disagrees with him , He is a big boy with great tech info and is appreciated by most people on this forum ...You just come across as an ass when you start bragging . Granted Beau  could try being less of an ass to Tom too and there would be less of this nonsense going on
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #29
Hypo,  maybe you should look at the post more, its not about disagreeing, this is a forum and thats what its for and my comment had nothing to do with the la2/3 debate. Its the fact that he had to make a smartass  comment and say "When this fella talks about Tbird....rest assured he knows his shiznit..he's had more TC's in his driveway at any one time than most have probably seen in our lives....most of us" 

If he wants to be a smartass ill return the favor ;) but enough nonsense,  i have some custom tbird body parts that just finished baking in the paint booth i need to attend to