Skip to main content
Topic: differneces....87-88 T-Bird (Read 16833 times) previous topic - next topic

differneces....87-88 T-Bird

Reply #30
Why the shag is it that every time somebody dares to disagree with one of these two in a thread, ANY thread, regardless what the thread is about (and apparently regardless whether these two are right or wrong), it goes all to hell? Growing really tired of it...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #31
Oh, and Turbocoupe50, you're right - I just looked at the pic I still have of my old door tag, and the car was indeed built in 10/87...

X
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #32
The 87-88coupes were built with 5 DIFFERENT ECM'S. Early late auto and 5 speeder.

Just trying to give out some info. You are correct Thunder Chicken. I will move ON.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #33
My Sport was born in August of '87  (she's an '88 model).
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #34
Yeh, I'm done with this. Sorry I caused any ill feelings. See ya.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #35
Nobody has to be "done" with it, we just don't need to argue about it. It's not a big deal.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #36
That's what I meant...that I was done arguing about it. No worries...

But, for the record...mine runs too.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #37
Question:  With a MBC, does the prem/reg switch still retard timing at all?

LA3.  Before MBC it pushed around 15lbs on Prem.  8-10lbs in reg.  Perhaps it was where it was manufactured at/for?  Sort of like the Canadian Cherokee's that had 3 cat's where as American had 1 with the same 4L inline 6?  The world may never know.

I will say that the gloating shiznit is kind of stupid.  It's a funny picture and it made me laugh, despite the fact that I do have mad props for the LS motors having lived for so long and being rather powerful engines.  I have seen several of your posts where your automatic defense is to engage a g contest saying "My dad and I are awesome and this is why!"  That doesn't put either of you in a particularly good light.  I have an astounding amount of respect for Tom as he has given me some of the best insight I have received so far as my car is concerned.  But, as his son, his accomplishments are not yours.  Your arrogance completely detracts credibility from him as everything I have read from you when you get defensive contains no fact, only gloating and criticizing others.  Your vehicles run, awesome, so do 700 million other cars in the world.  That was a stat from 04 as the study has not been done again and I'm sure you can assume it's an approximation, considering more than an additional 100 million have been produced since then, we can estimate closer to 780 million.

Now, more to the point, I think, just for the personal edification of all of us, we should find the source of the LA2/LA3 87-88 Turbo Coupes.  I have heard and read from MANY sources the LA2's DO NOT boost fully in all forward gears.  I don't think this is some shiznit 16.5 million sources would make up.  So lets get to doing some research!

(Disclaimer *** I am not the original owner of the car so I cannot, at this time, Validate the LA3 ECM being factory as I am not pulling it out at 12:30am.  That can wait for the next time I need to crack it open)  The stock boost controller has been replaced as well.
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (daily driver) - T5, Short Throw, Ranger roller cam (soon to be Boport 1.5), stock turbo and TMIC (also soon to change.)

Reply #38
I agree, the LSx engines are pretty sweet, make good power with few mods, and are rather common nowadays.

However, I don not jump on many bandwagons...my pic was a joke, I've posted it here before, probably in response to one of Renzo's posts...I meant no personal insult to him..in fact, I kind of looked at it as a little ribbing....no harm, no foul.

I DO have a problem with some smartass punk firing off on me when all I've done was quote PROVEN, and factual info, pretty much verbatim from another member here....

So be it...life goes on. I think Renzo misread my quote where I stated a stock '87 TC wouldn't make full boost in all forward gears...
If I'm wrong, say so...don't assume my shiznit doesn't run because you're an arrogant rich kid with a shop full of hot shiznit.
You never know...I might just be the guy who's step-dad owns a Viper...

The point is...who gives a shiznit what the next guy has...we're here to share info and help one another.
So glocklimited or whatever your handle may be, if you've got a beef with me over what I said, then kiss my ass, hot stuff.

NOW, I'm done with it. :)
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #39
I think my post was misunderstood...what I meant to say was that a stock and unaltered '87 TC will not make as much boost in all 5 forward gears as an '88, in regards to 3rd, 4th, and 5th, because of EEC differences...didn't mean to say that it made less boost in all gears than an '88.

Tom Renzo...if that was how you interpreted it, I'm sorry for not being more clear on my wording...they way I typed it, it looks like it could have been easy to misunderstand.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #40
Just one more thing and i will never post here again.  THEY HAVE THE SAME ADVERTISES  HP (87-88 confirmed by FORD SPECKS) AND THAT IS CONFIRMED ON MANY DYNO RUNS WE TESTED ! So why do they make the same HP if they boost LESS????

87-'88 TurboCoupe SPECIFICATIONS

Vehicle Type: Front-engine, rear-drive; 2-door 5-passenger sedan

Engine:

2.3L (2295cc, 140 cu in) 4 cylinder engine

2 valves per cylinder, overhead cam

190 HP with 5 speed trans, 150 HP with automatic trans

Torque 240 @ 3400

8:0:1 compression ratio

Bore and stroke: 3.780" x 3.126" (96.0mm X 79.2mm)

MPEFI injection

Cooling fan turns on at 221 degrees F

Turbocharger:

steering: 2.4 turns lock to lock, curb to curb circle = 39.4 ft, 15:0:1 on center rack and pinion
firm suspension settings kick in (in ~40ms) with 0.3g or more cornering or braking, when throttle is floored, when boost exceeds 10 psi,
or when speed exceeds 80 mph.

The 87 has the same suspension computer as the 88. So why would they design this feature in the 87 if it cant reach over 10LBS. ?????????  !D'OH!!!!!

SOURCE of info FORD MOTOR COMPANY

As a side note i have actually worked with ford on the 2.3 engine. And i will admit everyone does not know it all. I have picked up valuable info on this site and i will be the first one to admit that. I was sivil and always try to be polite. But when someone posts that a TC does not boost bast second gear thats over the top, Then a person flames me as sayinf the guy has had more TC than you can believe or something to that effect. Believe me i have had a TUN OF TC in my life. I will also admit their are a lot of same year changes. And in fact the LA2 ECM only came in an 87. Reason being as far as i know the 87-88 is the only coupes with a large VAM and BROWN TOPS. Have a good day and i thank all that i helped or appreciated my experiance in the automotive business since 1900 when my grandfather started our business. Thanks
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #41
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;366950
I think my post was misunderstood...what I meant to say was that a stock and unaltered '87 TC will not make as much boost in all 5 forward gears as an '88, in regards to 3rd, 4th, and 5th, because of EEC differences...didn't mean to say that it made less boost in all gears than an '88.

Tom Renzo...if that was how you interpreted it, I'm sorry for not being more clear on my wording...they way I typed it, it looks like it could have been easy to misunderstand.

JUST FOR THE RECORD THE 87-88 MADE AND IS ADVERTISED AT THE SAME HP. Can you explain this if one makes LESS BOOST????? The FORD specks on both engines are IDENTICAL

Reply #42
I'm glad I have a 5.0.

Reply #43
Quote from: vinnietbird;366953
I'm glad I have a 5.0.

Me too!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #44
Quote from: vinnietbird;366953
I'm glad I have a 5.0.

Yeah me too... The turbo fours with five speed are fun, but they ain't a V8...

As far as being rated less HP in '87 why would they be??? Even with the LB2 they still made 190Hp in 1st & 2nd...

The '88 dealer album has a note in it about the automatics being rated at 150Hp, I can scan & post that if someone wants to see...