Skip to main content
Topic: differneces....87-88 T-Bird (Read 16831 times) previous topic - next topic

differneces....87-88 T-Bird

This is probably a dumb questions! what is the diference between an 87 and 88 T-bird?

Reply #1
Depends on the model/engine...

There were some different colors available that did not carry from year to year...

The 3.8 switched from CFI to EFI, HP was upped(don't know numbers, I walk a wide path around the Ford 3.8)... The 5.0 got dual exhaust and was upped to 155Hp(WOW), the 2.3 Turbo received different computer programming that allowed full boost in all gears(5-speed only)... The 2.3T also received a Hitachi alternator to repl the failure pr0ne Ford 2G unit...

The Base, LX & TC changes were minimal... For the LX & TC the trim was changed on the door handle pull from a painted one piece design to a chromed two piece... A early change(Oct '87) to all models(incl Base) was the rear window trim went from a four piece powder coated design to a one piece rubber molding, these are not directly interchangeable... There were some audio deletions, the phospscent dial radio used mostly in other carlines since '85 was dropped for '88...

The Sport gained the TC Recardo seats and buttstuffogue gauges, a few got the 8.8" rear, best I can determine that was late year model change... 

No doubt are a few other minor changes, but mostly '88 was mostly a carry over year...

Reply #2
5.0 wiring harness is different between the years also, mainly in the connectors. (found that out the hard way)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #3
As far as the '88 cars, that year only the 3.8 had a balance shaft, it was gone again for the '89 and up cars, and also hadn't been used prior to '88.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #4
the wiring is a much needed tip! My 87 has a digitial dash wich I would like to keep. Have been busy, so not much done on engine swap but hope to get bird under car port today to finish up! It is raining here!! lol

Reply #5
Hate to make new thread...can some one send me pic of 87 tbird front end under hood..body shop did last clip change a few years back and I think there are a few things missing behind headlights etc that hold up weight of header panel an light assembly.. "nose" is just bolted to fenders...

Reply #6
Yeah, the header bolts up to the fenders, and there's also two bolts that connect to the the core support, with nuts on the far side of those...that's about it..lol
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #7
My early build '88 sport had an 8.8 rear but didn't have the "c" pillar interior lights.

Also, Turbo coupes in '87 only had boost in 1st and 2nd gear with the manual transmission. '88 had boost in all 5 gears.
2003 Marauder 300B
1996-97 Cobra wheel straight but weathered (For Sale)
84 TC manual shifter handle no  (For Sale)

BTW, I had a 1988 T-Bird Sport way back when. I found out that it was totalled shortly after trading it in. It still has the ignition switch recall to date.

Special thanx to EricCoolCats for showing me to this site.:bowdown:

Reply #8
From what i know the 87-88 TC has the same ECM and boost parameters. The back window on the 87 TC has metal trim and the 88 has a vinyl strip. Other than that they are fairly identical i think. Why would ford limit the boost to first and second only. That makes no sense whatsoever. As far as the other models i really don't know the differences other than the engine options.

Both the 87-88 had an 8.8 and sail panel lights. I have an 87 and an 88 Both make BOOST IN EVERY GEAR
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaGCZuuBw10

Look at the BOOST GAUGE. The guy hits third and the boost goes past 16 LBS.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #10
A stock '87 will NOT make full boost in all forward gears...

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;366743
the 2.3 Turbo received different computer  programming that allowed full boost in all gears(5-speed only)

When this fella talks about Tbird....rest assured he knows his shiznit..he's had more TC's in his driveway at any one time than most have probably seen in our lives....most of us.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #11
Strange this thing about the back window having vinyl trim on the 88. My late build (Oct 1988) 88 had metal trim - I'm certain of this because I destroyed it taking it off for the paint job and ended up using the trim off the 87 TC parts car. Had a w of a time finding the metal clips that hold the trim on, too - I believe a member of this forum mailed me some...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #12
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;366810
A stock '87 will NOT make full boost in all forward gears...

That is correct, the ECM is different in a '87 vs '88(LA2 vs LA3), the boost was limited to around 10psi in 3rd, 4th & 5th...  These days most have probably had the BCS disconnected and a adjustable valve installed it set boost, so yeah they will full boost in all gears...

BTW supposedly late '87 did receive the LA3 ECM(has been reported over on NATO)...

Reply #13
Mine was made in April '88, has the vinyl rear window trim..as to it being 100% factory..I couldn't tell you. Did find a shiznit-ton of glass under the back seat when I first removed it though. It was under the whole seat, which makes me wonder if the back glass wasn't busted out, and replaced with something different.

EDIT:
My white '88 had the metal trim, I *thought* it was a later build though..I'll look, see if I can find some info or a pic of the tag etc.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #14
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;366814
Mine was made in April '88, has the vinyl rear window trim..as to it being 100% factory..I couldn't tell you. Did find a shiznit-ton of glass under the back seat when I first removed it though. It was under the whole seat, which makes me wonder if the back glass wasn't busted out, and replaced with something different.

EDIT:
My white '88 had the metal trim, it was a later build though..I'll look, see if I can find some info or a pic of the tag etc.

The switch from rear window metal trim to the vinyl strip was in Oct '87, so early '88 had the same trim as the '87... The ones I currently own have 5/88 & 6/88 build and the vinyl strip...