Skip to main content
Topic: differneces....87-88 T-Bird (Read 16830 times) previous topic - next topic

differneces....87-88 T-Bird

Reply #120
There are NO choices......2.3 baby....YEAH TURBO !!!!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #121
Quote from: FLSTCI71;367032
Okay, just so I have this all straight, the main  differences between 87 and 88 Birds are that LSx’s are awesome motors,  Hyundai Sonata shift lights use RPM & VSS, TC ECMs don’t know what  gear they're in and Vinnie is glad he has a 5.0 in the Sport.

Now, if Vinnie is no longer glad he has a 5.0 in the Sport, then I am totally confused. Does that also mean TC ECMs DO know what gear they're in and LSx's are NOT awesome??
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #122
Veyron engines are the shiznit. No way an LSX can make power cheaper.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #124

Ya know, the guy that took that picture with that phone was a little scared.  I think if I were going 160mph the last thing I would do is mess with my phone.  Just sayin, most people can't mess with their phone and drive at 40mph, much less 160.
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (daily driver) - T5, Short Throw, Ranger roller cam (soon to be Boport 1.5), stock turbo and TMIC (also soon to change.)

Reply #125
Quote from: vinnietbird;367189
Yeah 2.3 !!!!    Go turbo !!!!!!

5.0's  SUUUUUCK like a Hoover !!!!!!

By the way, I am doing the 5.0 to 2.3 swap early next year. I'll be looking for all harnesses and misc. bits for the swap. I have seen the 2.3 light. The clouds have parted....the sun is shining, and the angels are singing.... it is TIME to relieve the Sport of that sinful BURDEN under the hood known as the dreaded and EVIL Five Point Oh. That waste of cast iron and aluminum. That horrible dark stain on the white carpet of the heavenly floors of 2.3 turbo heaven. Let's all have an AMEN !!!!!.......AMEN !!!!! The weight I have had to carry all these years has been lifted from my shoulders. I can now move freely and without fear through the valley of the Turbo 4. I have sen the Headlights. They are bright and clear. They are showing me the way to 4 cylinder salvation. AMEN !!!!

Also, don't do a 2.3 swap, Turbo Coupes are cheap enough to just buy one.  It will probably cost you less than the swap.  Don't swap to something that already exists stock.  Also, I would drop a 351 in that, perhaps a 400 BB or a 427/8/9.  :)  Go big or go home!
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (daily driver) - T5, Short Throw, Ranger roller cam (soon to be Boport 1.5), stock turbo and TMIC (also soon to change.)

Reply #126
Find a running Probe GT, with the turbo 4. Swap all that in. Convert to front drive. Now embarrass all other front drive turbo 4 cars...lol

@ Renzo: Yes, that's cool, because running 160 on a public road is safe as can be. Let alone while shaging around with a phone. Hoping you or yours didn't take the pic....
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #127
i wanted to stay outta this , but reading it has made me laugh more then once.

FACT: the 2.3T has limited boost with the la2. ITS A FRIGGIN FACT!
FACT: vinnie is really proud of sport, with the 5.0 blah blah blah we hear it all the time. yes vinnie you have a BAD ASS car. we know. But you dont have to hate the 2.3T crowd all the time. its not your cup of tea. we understand.

Which is why i went this route.

there, i have both. one 2.3 that gets awesome gas mileage, smokes alot, has 150,000 on her. looks decent, drives way better then that 5.0 next to it. boosts great. a fun car at 85mph+
the 5.0 gt: awesome 55,000 mile 1983 survior. fast, way to loud. gets 6 mpg, handles like . has 10 inch brakes still. and you have to do this thing where you pump the pedal to start it? idk. being a ford certified technician, i never learned that in ford school. odd.

reason why: im a 21 year old kid with way to much time on my hands, no baggage. and understanding parents. 

so what have we learned?

absolutly nothing, sorry i wasted anyones time with this post.

but yea, its a fact. the 2.3T doesnt boost in all forward gears with an la2.
and vinnie loves his 5.0, im scared almost a little to much, but then again hes just a car guy.

Chris

so i found my reasons to like both motors, both cars.  and have alot of fun

Reply #128
personally, I've always been a 3.8 guy myself
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #129
Hey, 84Tbirdturbo42, I hate 5.0's, and now, I changed my mind. 2.3's SUCK......but not even close to how bad those boat anchor 5.0's do.  I'm going 3.8 with Jerry.  Yeah 3.8 !!!  I'm going to find one for the Sport to shed weight,improve gas mileage and reduce harmful horsepower. My eyes are open. I also want CFI. Oh yeah !!!! Jerry, you made me me see the RIGHT choice. Thanks a lot.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #130
alright, let me know when you need help with the head gaskets. or tuning that 2150 carb.

Reply #131
I'll use the new improved head gaskets, and as far as the carb....I'll have it professionally tuned to get maximum efficiency from it for super quiet road trips, slower take offs which will reduce rear tire wear a LOT, and added space under the hood for easier engine access. Every reason for the swap makes perfect logical sense. I think I[m also going to remove those stupid 17 inch wheels and go back to 14x5 wheels for less rolling resistance and cheaper prices when replacement is necessary. Oh Yeah !!!! This is going to be SWEET !!!

Reply #132
Quote from: vinnietbird;367301
Hey, 84Tbirdturbo42, I hate 5.0's, and now, I changed my mind. 2.3's SUCK......but not even close to how bad those boat anchor 5.0's do.  I'm going 3.8 with Jerry.  Yeah 3.8 !!!  I'm going to find one for the Sport to shed weight,improve gas mileage and reduce harmful horsepower. My eyes are open. I also want CFI. Oh yeah !!!! Jerry, you made me me see the RIGHT choice. Thanks a lot.

That's why I'm here Vinnie... to open peoples eyes, and minds
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #133
Quote from: vinnietbird;367306
I'll use the new improved head gaskets, and as far as the carb....I'll have it professionally tuned to get maximum efficiency from it for super quiet road trips, slower take offs which will reduce rear tire wear a LOT, and added space under the hood for easier engine access. Every reason for the swap makes perfect logical sense. I think I[m also going to remove those stupid 17 inch wheels and go back to 14x5 wheels for less rolling resistance and cheaper prices when replacement is necessary. Oh Yeah !!!! This is going to be SWEET !!!

I got some wire covers for you...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #134
Wire covers? Oh yes !!! Dan !!!! I'm moving to the dark side that only you and I will ever want to be in on purpose.