Skip to main content
Topic: differneces....87-88 T-Bird (Read 16835 times) previous topic - next topic

differneces....87-88 T-Bird

Reply #90
I KNOW I have the slowest 5.0 here....and why?

Because it's all stock! Does it bother me? Nope.

More to life than numbers on a dyno or a drag slip.

I'm not knocking the drag cars OR the folks that build(t) them...lots of work and money spent to do it.

I'd rather run some auto-x track than anything...which is why mine getting the mods I'm planning...in case I ever try to get into it.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #91
I just like showing off those pretty Thunderbird tail lights. Everyone should see how nice they are. I must admit, getting passed like I was standing still by that Prius was a little embarrassing, but you can't win them all.

Here's my turbo-4..............minus the turbo..........and the "4"..... The "5-slow"....BOW DOWN all you Turbo guys !!!!...

'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #92
Vinnie, that ain't no 5.SLOW...it's a 5.GO, lol
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #93
All smoke and mirrors. Just shiny, and that doesn't make the car any quicker. It just shines.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #94
All depends on your definition of "mildly modified". I don't know about what it's like on the east coast, but out here, all I hear is the same  from the 5.0 crowd. Very few of them realize that's it not as easy as they think to squeeze 300rwhp out of a naturally aspirated 302. I'ts awesome hearing all the excuses on open chassis dyno day. I can't wait to get the 2.3T Stang done for next spring.
My TC will always be my driver. I don't plan on getting to crazy with it, but it will have more than 300rwhp. That's the benchmark to make the TC relavant in todays world.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #95
You guys are talkin slow... try a stock 5.0 cfi in a vert... I think I win the contest, lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #96
Well if we are going to have a peeing contest about who has the slowest 5.0  ..I'm pretty sure I got all of ya beat
  My 4100 lb Towncar with its single exhaust and 125k miles  I think might be the slowest
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #97
OK...you may be the winner....or loser in our case...lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #98
I can make mine even slower...by unhooking 3 plug wires, and disconnecting my SPOUT connector, lol
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #99
I would never race a 2.3 equipped Ford. I hate to be wickedly embarrassed. So, I stay away from fights the Sport just have no chance of winning. Plus, it barely makes enough torque to turn the big rear tires. I put the TC hood and front part on the Sport so everyone would think I have a Turbo Coupe. It gets really shameful having to say I have one of the Sport model Thunderbirds. I do all I can to mask the embarrassment that the 5.0 and "Sport" title bring to my car. i am turning over a new leaf today. From now on....GO TURBO !!!!!!!

Reply #100
There's really no difference in the 5.0 and 2.3 guys. The 2.3 guys say "5.0's are slow and not all that"....The 5.0 guys say " 2.3's are slow and can't beat a 5.0".  Honestly, I downplay the power of the Sport as a joke, but in reality all you 2.3 owners,The Sport runs low 19's in the 1/4 with slicks, and goes 0-60 in 12.4 seconds. yes, it's moving pretty briskly,and no I don't mean to post those numbers and brag. I'm just saying that when your car has it, it has it.

Reply #101
No matter how fast your car is someone is always faster than you. At everything.

Back on topic. As far as 5.0 cars go there is not much of a difference between the 87 and 88 cars. My September 87 build date 88 LX has the metal rear window trim. My car was probably one of the first 88 assembled that year. I've been in the wiring harness (for a MAF swap) and found that all my wire colors are the same as an 87 T-bird.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #102
I've owned a decently quick 5.0, but even with all the parts I put on it was not as quick as my almost stock 2.3. (boost controller, exhaust, intake)

It kinda turned me over to the 2.3, but I know for a fact a 5.0 is cheaper to make super fast.  There is a local guy here running 11s with a stock block 1994 5.0 mustang that's boosted at 7psi.  He spent less than $1500 on the whole setup and he has 500rwhp.

Pretty impressive!

I guess I am still a fan of both engines, but it's nice to get good gas mileage when I'm out of boost.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #103
Reading this thread reminds me of being at a store, seeing a child throw a tantrum and everyone politely ignoring the kid cause the parent isn't disciplining them. Admins, Ban the morons. I been a member of many forums and typically lurk for fear of them Educating my threads. Yes they bring some good info, but mostly Renzo's are just gasoline + flame, pure idiots. Btw My junk is slower than Your "internet posted race cars". Glad you can impress some people, hope your sterile so my children don't suffer your kids opinions.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #104
No one that posted here is a moron.  Head strong, disagreeable, crotchety, cantankerous, set in the their ways, moody... sure, those are all accurate descriptions of every one on every forum in one thread or another.  It just depends on how fervently one believes in the contrary of another, but moron, no no my friend, I assure you the debate had in this thread was not between morons, ignorant or stupid people.  Simply people with opposite views who are passionate about what they do.
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (daily driver) - T5, Short Throw, Ranger roller cam (soon to be Boport 1.5), stock turbo and TMIC (also soon to change.)