Skip to main content
Topic: A new issue to work out..UPDATE... (Read 6076 times) previous topic - next topic

A new issue to work out..UPDATE...

Reply #60
Yeah, I did that on the last one. The plug makes it nice when you need to pull the radiator with the fan connected to it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #61
I installed the 180 degree thermostat this evening. I HATE swapping stats on the 5.0. Anyway, done. I'll drive it a little tomorrow and then swap the fan out, then, another update.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #62
I used a short 5/16" stud from a carb type intake in the lower thermostat housing mounting hole, and after cutting off the obstruction on the water pump in that area it made thermostat changes much easier. A friend had an overheat issue with his AC on, and we got a pusher fan from the bone yard from a Probe and installed it in front of the condenser. It is wired through a relay to come on only with the AC compressor on. When the compressor cycles, the fan shuts off. It is triggered off the 12v wire that engages the AC clutch. I also made sure that the high side pressure didn't go over 200psi without the fan, with R12. Haven't tried R134 in it yet, as i still had some 12 lying around and like it better than 134.

Reply #63
Well, for now, I've yet to test drive the Sport. I installed the 180 degree thermostat yesterday, and the replacement Taurus fan today. I made to small supports from aluminum to hold the bottom of the fan in place, and those electric fan zip tie mount things at each corner with a rubber "cushion" on the sides of the shroud where it meets the radiator. I'll take the Sport out later and see what happens.

As far as a pusher fan...I hope I don't need one now. the Taurus fan pulls copious amounts of air. The Temporary Autozone replacement is .

I'll report in after the test drive.

Reply #64
The following may be of some useful info for anyone considering a fan/controller upgrade......hope it helps.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,23145.0.html
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #65
Man, that's a lot of reading.LOL.

Reply #66
Quote from: vinnietbird;363171
Man, that's a lot of reading.LOL.
......and pictures too....LOL
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #67
I'll post a pic of mine tomorrow. I have it installed to run on high until I can get the controller. Worked great for years with the last fan without the controller.......like having it on a toggle switch, but without the switch...... It comes on when I start the car, goes off when I turn the car off..

Reply #68
OK I gotta ask because I'm curious .... why use an electric fan if you are going to have it run all the time ? Why not just use an engine driven fan?
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #69
I don't have an engine driven fan or a shroud. If something bad happens, I can always look for those parts I suppose. Besides, I already stated that when the funds allow, I'm getting a DCC controller for the two speed fan. No funds for a while though. After the radiator, differential girdle (on top of the tool box),polished throttle body and spacer, and a few other things, funds are non-existent.

You know, out of curiosity....I wonder how much CFM's an engine driven fan (clutch or clutchless) would deliver. Does anyone know?

Reply #70
Battery operated

LS1 FAN SHROUD
1 fan turned on - 4800 cfm
2 fans on - 9500cfm

LT1 FAN SHROUD
1 fan turned on - 5000 cfm
2 fans on - 8700 cfm

Dodge Fan (both fans are always on - 2 speed)
Slow speed - 3700 cfm
High Speed 9000 cfm

Ford Taurus (1 fan two speed)
Slow speed - 2800 CFM
High speed - 5600 CFM

Alternator Powered

LS1 FAN SHROUD
1 fan turned on - 5100 cfm
2 fans on - 10500cfm

LT1 FAN SHROUD
1 fan turned on - 5200 cfm
2 fans on - 9500 cfm

Dodge Fan (both fans are always on - 2 speed)
Slow speed - 4200 cfm
High Speed 10400 cfm

Ford Taurus (1 fan two speed)
Slow speed - 3200 CFM
High speed - 6000 CFM

As you can see the Taurus fan is not up to the job of a GOOD fan setup. Everyone goes nuts to find them and in my experiance they are marginal at best in a V8 HP setup. Compair the numbers. Thanks
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #71
I know the Taurus fan is cooling the Sport like crazy. I'll get a controller for it next time funds are available for the Sport. It was 105 degrees today,and it did a super job. There's always a better part out there, but this one working.

Reply #72
Quote from: vinnietbird;363273
I know the Taurus fan is cooling the Sport like crazy. I'll get a controller for it next time funds are available for the Sport. It was 105 degrees today,and it did a super job. There's always a better part out there, but this one working.

Thats GOOD because the fan really does not move much air. But if its doing the job thats GREAT. Then why the long post?? I thought you were running HOT??????? I am Confused ??? You asked for CFM numbers on mechanical fans. I have those also. But no one uses them any more. They are inefficient and basically waste HP. I gave you some numbers to answer your question. Sorry for the numbers but i did not design the Taurus Fan Ford did. I will refrain from clouding the issue with facts. Thanks
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #73
The long post is an update to where the car is now, and my current fix for it. The car never over heated, it ran hotter than I was comfortable with before I installed this replacement Taurus fan. Although the fan isn't a GM fan, it is working fine right now since the fan install Sunday.

The reason I wanted to know the numbers on the mechanical fan (engine driven) was out of curiosity. It's that simple.....Just wanted to know. I knew what the Taurus fan produced, but never asked for GM specs, although I appreciate your time giving them. They may come in handy for the future, and don't be sorry for the Taurus CFM numbers....they are working for me just fine.

I have no doubt that there are better fans out there, but I have never been let down by a good Taurus fan either. Also, you need to understand, I work on a zero dollar budget with this Sport. meaning, not a single dime comes from my paycheck to build it, and I also have to use parts that I have easily accessible in a short amount of time. I didn't have time to order parts online, or funds to buy new GM parts. I'm sure anything any of us build, there's someone else who can do it better, with better parts, on a bigger budget. As the Sport sits this morning, it's running great, strong, and everything is working well. The car is an example of what can be done to make a salvage yard very functional for no money, and still have great fun and function.

I'm not in a competition with anyone. That takes the edge off for me. I build it to fit my needs, and be functional, and everything is working as it should. It's not pro built, and I apparently don't have near the knowledge on these matters and others as you, but so far, I've done O.K..

Please don't get me wrong. I seriously do appreciate your time and your talent in these things, but don't be offended or tech angry if I don't do it your way. I do understand that there are many better ways and better parts that out power, out flow, or just plain work better. I have to work with what I have to work with. So far so good, and again, thanks.

I think at times, it's easy to way over think things and make things a lot more complicated than they need to be. It reminds me of a saying....

"I asked for the time, not how you built the clock"

Reply #74
Any ideas about a Grand Prix fan, I yanked it out of my daughters car 3 years ago when she totaled it, and was hoping to use it in my cougar. I'm not sure how they compare to other fans. I don't want to go through all that work to find out it won't be enough to cool it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook