Skip to main content
Topic: A new issue to work out..UPDATE... (Read 6077 times) previous topic - next topic

A new issue to work out..UPDATE...

Reply #45
I'm going to agree with Tom here, having it run all the time defeats the purpose of an electric fan .. I think you should look into a controller :)
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #46
Maybe I'm not understanding, but if it's on all the time, how can that hurt. Like the clutchless engine driven fans that always blow. I'd think that yes, maybe it draws a little power, costs a couple of horsepower, but how could it impair the function?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #47
OK here is what i would do. Use a 2 speed taurus fan and hook the low speed into a thermostat to come on at lets say 200* Then hook the high speed to a thermostat that comes on at lets say 215*. I would also hook the high speed portion to the high side AC closure switch to bring the fan on when the high side presures approach lets say 260LBS or so. That is how its dun today. Having the fan run all the time slows the car down from push back of the incoming air at higher speeds. It works like an air dam. Their is no reason  a fan should have to work at highway speeds. It also is NG for the fan. Most fans are not continuous run units for the most part. ( some are in later model cars at low speed). It also draws high current which overloads the ALT. Did you check your ac unit for proper charge. If the unit is over charged the Condenser heat will be through the MOON. This head is directed directly into the incoming air the radiator sees. I for the life of me cant understand the problem you are having. I have build many AC equipped 347 stroker high HP motors that run very COOL. Most have 2 row radiators and no issues. Did you test actual temp numbers and not relie on the gauge in the car. An engine of modern times will run at or below 210* is normal today. If you cant cool that motor with a 2 row or 3 row 16 count radiator with a good engine fan you have trouble else where. Like i mentioned before a TC front CLIP needs the TC valance. Other wise the air is bypassed past the radiator and the car will overheat at highway speeds. Does it run hot in traffic or on the highway???  Good luck and thanks
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #48
Read the link I posted and I think it will answer your questions Vinnie.  I hammered two Mark VIII fan motors before installing the controller and the diode and now this motor is going on seven years old.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #49
The car has an air dam, and on the highway, it is running more "normal" according to the gauge. I don't have access to an electronic temp gauge. In town, not so great. That's why I think the fan I have is not as good as the Taurus fan. When I had the Taurus fan (for a few years), it was always cool,at any speed, at any time of the year.

I haven't had the pressure checked in the a/c. I'll try to run the car over where they did the work and see if they can check it.

I may get a controller. I'll look into them and how they are installed (I HATE electrical stuff.....that's not a secret) and what all is involved. I've read about people installing them, and it baffles me. Never put a lot of thought into it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #50
What I need......I need a diagram of how to wire everything and install a fan controller, as if it was explaining to a 6 year old.

I also need advice on an affordable controller that works well......AFFORDABLE !!!

Reply #51
Vinnie, hope this is what ya need:
http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #52
i just got finished reading all of that from the post above. I think that 2 speed kit is what I need. First I'll grab a couple of fans (I like extras), and go from there. One piece at a time. I have no funds (just got an NOS passenger side head light and corner signal light). Come to think of it, I never have funds for the Sport.....but we manage to get it done. I'm posting my throttle body and spacer now. They have to go.I can't use them any more.

Reply #53
Glad I happened to think of that outfit...I'm gonna order the 2 speed kit myself...I have a Taurus fan also.
Better to be cool, than to be a tool..lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #54
I'll keep this thread updated til the problem is resolved.

Reply #55
Ive used the more expensive controller from DCC before, it was a great unit.  I am wanting to try that cheaper 2 speed controller also.  Let me know how it works out Vinnie.
Mike

Reply #56
Be patient. I have to gather funds for all of this. I just bought a few parts, and funds are below zero.

Reply #57
I have the controller for the Mark VIII fans and helped a buddy wire up the one for the Taurus fan and it works like a champ! Keeps his 408 in a 69 Mustang FB cool. Vinnie, He lives in Lawton and has had zero issues with the heat. No AC but he has a bunch more cubes and is putting down over 600 on the rear wheels.

Darren

Reply #58
I'll be gathering parts and getting it all together. Takes time when you work on a zero dollar budget.....literally.

Reply #59
Forgot to mention that the DCController comes with all the wiring you need and really good instructions.  Brian Baskin ownes the company and is really good to deal with.  I will say that if you get a fan from the salvage yard get the factory pigtail that plugs into it as that makes life much easier.

Darren