Skip to main content
Topic: A new issue to work out..UPDATE... (Read 6078 times) previous topic - next topic

A new issue to work out..UPDATE...

Reply #30
My engine is similar to yours and it runs fine with the A/C on in 90*+ heat with the stock 23 year old radiator. I do have a 9 blade HO fan and police interceptor fan clutch. Maybe your engine fan is at fault? Perhaps the electric fan you're using isn't pulling enough air?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #31
That's a thought. I keep saying I have a Taurus fan (out of habit), but actually, it's a Taurus shroud with an aftermarket fan. The Taurus fan motor ped out and I needed a quick replacement. I'll grab another Taurus fan Monday (or Tuesday) depending about the holiday.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #32
With the new radiator, no engine driven fan would even fit anymore.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #33
Drove the car after work for a while, played around with the a/c on.....a/c off......driving down the highway, etc....I think I have a weak a$$ fan. I'm getting another Taurus fan Tuesday. I'll post my results after that. I still may go with a 180 degree stat as well. I'll install that after the fan. One part at a time.I'm betting the fan.

Reply #34
How does the new rad. not allow enough room for a engine driven fan? I have a performance rad. thats about 2-2.5" thick and my stock fan and shroud fit fine.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #35
Yeah, I was tired and not thinking. There's room. If I pull the electric fan off. LOL. I was hot and miserable, and remembered when I wrote this that I was thinking about the space between the fan motor and the water pump pulley. Not the distance between the pulley and the radiator. LOL. I'm still going with an electric fan.

Reply #36
maybe you just need a bigger fan.... or a double fan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #37
When I'm at the yard, I'll probably grab a Taurus dual fan, and a Taurus single fan and see which one I like the most. The single big fan did GREAT the past few years until the motor quit.

Reply #38
So what was the solution??
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #39
Not sure yet. I'll hopefully have it figured out Tuesday after my salvage yard run. I'm going to grab another Taurus fan (or two) and install one, hopefully that'll do the trick. If that IS the problem, I may still add a 180 degree stat. It's been 02 degrees here every day for over a week with no end in sight. Crazy heat.

Reply #40
Vinnie,

How are you controlling the fan?  Is it just an on/off switch with large relays or do you have an actual fan controller?

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #41
I actually leave mine on high all the time.

Reply #42
Just for the record leaving a fan on all the time costs you some hp and drag. The fans should not run constantly. It defeats the whole electric fan theory. If the AC is on then the fans should work on LOW speed In traffic. but on the HIGHWAY it should be OFF. Unless the cooling system is in distress.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #43
http://dccontrol.com/introf2.htm

I think the whole theory behind a controller is to vary the fan speed with relation to the temperature of the exiting heat media out of the heat exchanger.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #44
I doubt I'm losing any power I can feel, and before I swapped the Taurus fan with the replacement fan, I never had any issues and any time of the year for years. The fan was old and it died. I'm getting a replacement this week and we'll see what happens.

I've heard many people use the DCC controllers. I could get one, but would it really help so much more than letting the fan run? As I stated, I think the car is running strong enough that any power loss is negligible.