Skip to main content
Topic: RHD 83 Heritage (Read 25193 times) previous topic - next topic

RHD 83 Heritage

So i finally got one.

After a bit of hunting locally, looking into the options of importing and converting i got hold of an 83 Heritage.

There were only 3 available for sale locally, (albeit all over 500km away)
1 was a V6 and had a fair bit of rust, another a V8 but needed a bit of work to tidy it up.
and this one, which was well out of my price range... how ever fortune was in my favour as it ended up going to auction and became mine for about $6500 AUD.

with a reported 27,000 miles and 95% of the electrics working, its pretty good :)

anyway, enough of the story, here are the photos of it as i picked it up.

83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #1
The RHD is totally freaky!  Very clean car.  Congrats on finding it!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #2
Awesome. Didn't even know there was a RHD version of these cars. I wonder if there ever was a RHD 85-88 version?

Oh, and beautiful 'Bird, too. Looks good all whited up and tinted out...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #3
I don't think there are any RHD Versions, this one was a Personal Import to Australia, would have been converted after it arrived.
I've never seen a later model one over here, but in saying that, i've only seen 3 of the 83-85 ones.

I want to respray it black, but its hard to bring myself to do it since the white paint is in such good condition.
will do some other things first, like lower and get rid of those horrible wheels
95 Falcon GLi

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #4
That is too cool for words. I learned something new today.

Edit: My mistake. I was used to seeing the '85-'87 console plates, so that one looked odd to me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #5
Whats normally on the horn pad?

I'm deff going to have to do some hunting to find out the changes/differences.
i was amused at the Battery being on the opposite side, which is where it is on our locally built 5.0 cars (falcon's etc).
95 Falcon GLi

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #6
Congrats, it looks like a really clean car.

The reversed console plate may have been made or modified by the conversion company.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #7
What's reversed on the console plate? It looks normal to me. The shifter is obviously out of an early fox mustang though.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #8
That is so cool!!!
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #9
Horn pad is wood grain with the bird in the center. I have a 83 Heritage here if you want to see a pic I can snap one, I also have all the Ford manuals if you are nedding som info I can try to scan it and email it to you.

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #10
i'd LOVE to get some scans of the Manuals if possible.
and yeah some interior photos of yours would be good, i'd like to get the interior of this neatened up as much as possible

I had no idea where everything was when i picked it up.
trying to workout how to move the seats and turn various things on.

saying that, it did the 800km drive home without a fuss :D
95 Falcon GLi

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #11
Very cool, the right hand drive looks so...disorientating. The battery is in the same spot as the left hand drive cars, the battery didn't move until SEFI was available in 86 (?) What are your plans for the drivetrain?
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #12
aah interesting, i must have been looking at others then.

a HO conversion is on the cards, likely using a local Falcon 5.0 motor as the donor.

my soon to be retired 1988 EA Falcon wagon has a 5.0 HO motor with Explorer manifold and a locally produced (and thus easier to find parts) Electronic 4 Speed auto.

Will just need to sort out the EEC wiring and what tail shaft fits!
95 Falcon GLi

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #13
probably this motor
95 Falcon GLi

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #14
Very nice; if I were in Australia, I'd be tempted to throw in a 351 Cleveland...
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust