Skip to main content
Topic: RHD 83 Heritage (Read 25639 times) previous topic - next topic

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #15
2 words:
Bitchin' score!
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #16
Nice looking car.  It sits a little high for me and the wheels aren't to my tastes, but it looks really clean otherwise.

Being an '83, that 5.0 will have the EEC 3 engine management, which can be kind of tedious to deal with.  You're talking about an engine swap, so that should take care of that problem.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #17
That's a clean bird!
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #18
XXHere are a couple steering wheel center pics so you can see. Right now there is a NOS center on ebay for a 80-82 which is the same shape but a different woodgrain pattern. If there are other things you want to see let me know and I can take some more pics. On a different note, do your carriage lights still work?

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #19
Hmm, might have to try find one of those steering wheel centres, gotta find someone who will send overseas!

What are Carriage Lights?
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #20
He is talking about the electroluminescent coach lamp emblems on the C pillar.  These:
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #21
Oh..
I don't beleive they do.

Not sure if they'd legally be allowed to over here.

As it is i need to make some modifications just to get the car to comply with out regulations.

On the list so far:
Add Child Restraint to Parcel Shelf
Add Reverse Lights, Ensure Indicators Flash Orange
Fix Park Brake
Fix Front Seat to ensure the seat back locks in position (any ideas on this?)
Possibly change seat belts
95 Falcon GLi

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #22
Your reverse lights are in the center of the taillights, behind the "Bird". Talk to Trinom in the thread below about yellow signals, he's doing some kind of mod for that.
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?24848-My-86-TurboCoupe&p=354314#post354314

As far as the seat goes,  I would consider just drilling a small hole through the tilt mechanism and sliding a pin of some thickness through it. Instant lock!
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #23
I have sent things to Australia and other parts of the world before, if you buy something over here and they wont ship to you ship it to me and I will ship it to you

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #24
Does the car need reverse lights to be legal? If not you could put some 1156NA bulbs into the backup light sockets and wire 'em into the front turn signals. then wire the existing stop/turn lights directly to the brake light switch (bypassing the turn signal switch) so they function as brake-only...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #25
Quote from: jrad235;358905
Your reverse lights are in the center of the taillights, behind the "Bird". Talk to Trinom in the thread below about yellow signals, he's doing some kind of mod for that.
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?24848-My-86-TurboCoupe&p=354314#post354314

As far as the seat goes,  I would consider just drilling a small hole through the tilt mechanism and sliding a pin of some thickness through it. Instant lock!

Hmm... thats what i thought about the reverse lights, i tested it last night and the clear section behind the bird is acting as the indicators, not the reverse lights.
no lights at all when reverse is engaged.
where are the indicators normally positioned?

the pin lock for the seats might just work actually.
95 Falcon GLi

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #26
Quote from: Dansbirds;358912
I have sent things to Australia and other parts of the world before, if you buy something over here and they wont ship to you ship it to me and I will ship it to you

Thanks for the offer, i'll keep that in mind.
95 Falcon GLi

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #27
Quote from: EFFalcon;358921
Hmm... thats what i thought about the reverse lights, i tested it last night and the clear section behind the bird is acting as the indicators, not the reverse lights.

Looks like the previous owner already did my suggestion. The stock indicators are combined with the brake lights (if you step on the brake while an indicator is on, the brake light will come on on one side and the indicator will flash on the other).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #28
Very cool!  Congrats!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

RHD 83 Heritage

Reply #29
Quote from: EFFalcon;358921

Well in that case,  I would just makes sure there are Yellow bulbs where the reverse lights SHOULD be, and run a wire tap through the trunk floor and down under the bumper with some clear aftermarket fog lights poking out. Or you can try and get Trinom to set you up with his LED setup.

By the way, could I get the tire size you are currently running and a height measurement from the ground up to the approx. Center of the wheelwell fender arch front and rear?(One side is fine)

Does the car need reverse lights to be legal? If not you could put some 1156NA bulbs into the backup light sockets and wire 'em into the front turn signals. then wire the existing stop/turn lights directly to the brake light switch (bypassing the turn signal switch) so they function as brake-only... 

Thunder Chicken's advice is good. If the previous owner left the original turn signal wires hooked up to the two bulbs on either side of the reverse bulb, you could just cut them at the bulb, leaving only the brake light wire.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...