Skip to main content
Topic: Blue by You - TC+4 (Read 41477 times) previous topic - next topic

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #150
I'm puzzled. I was convinced the FPR was your issue. Hmm.

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #151
Any new news?

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #152
Alright.  thanks for keeping after me flylear. :)

I think I have FINALLY figured out what the engine roughness is!  Ever since the new motor has been running, I have noticed valve train noise.  So I checked the push rod length...

Well, the push rods are too short (6.200").  Apparently, the guy I got the heads, rockers and push rods from must have shaved .050" off his block deck.  The GT40 heads are stock and never been shaved.  And my block is stock deck height.  So I should be able to run standard length 5.0L push rods - 6.272".  This should give the lifters just the right amount of pre-load to run correctly and quiet the valvetrain noise.

I am hopeful.  This will be a good Christmas present and will be motivating if this fixes the problem!

Then I can focus on other things like bodywork/paint, interior, suspension mods, drivetrain upgrades...

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #153
That's good news. I'm glad you got the gumption to break back into it. Chasing this stuff down can be depressing, I know. If this fixes the problem you'll be back on the path and it'll get fun again in a hurry!

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #154
Slow and steady wins the race...

The longer pushrods did help with the roughness of the engine.  So we are good there.  The roller rockers just make more noise than I'm use to.  But I'll just insulate the firewall some more and turn up the radio!

I was inspired by Vinnie's blue bird's exhaust and have been busy fabricating something similar.  I have finished up one side and have been fabricating the driver's side exit.  But here is what I have so far:

I'm pumped!  I think it modernizes the look of the car and just looks killer!  Also, it quiets down the car, since before my exhaust was dumped before the rear bumper.

Still making progress!

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #155
Where you at???  LOL

It's update time mister!

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #156
Love your build.  I had a stock one sim. to yours and let it go.  Only needed a/c charged and a repaint.  How is it going now...?  updates man, updates, pls.

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #157
Alright.  I'm back on the forum and will continue work on the t-bird!  Sorry for the long time away.

I sold my daily driver Grand Cherokee and will be rotating DD responsibilities between my TurboCoupe, Mustang Vert and the newest to the fleet (both my sons are wanting this one)...

Next Upgrades to the bird will be...
- 4R70W with Optishift controller
- Revise (lower) the driver's seat mount as I hit my head on the sunroof/headliner

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #158
Ooohhhhh nice! And welcome back too! Keep them wrenches spinnin ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #160
I'm interested in the seat lowering
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #161
:beatyoass::cheers:

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #162
I know. I know.  Haven't had ANY time to work on the tbird.  I'm itching for some car time, but house projects have gotten in the way.

I built a shed with the boys and then repainted the garage and laid the garage floor tile.  It looks awesome!

Now I need to get some wheels and tires (5 lug) for my suspension upgrades.  Can't wait to work on it!

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #163
It looks like your car is coming along nice. One thing I would look into though is that you said the rockers were making allot of noise.RR shouldn't make any more noise then the stock ones. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the turbo on it because that's something I always wanted to do to one of these cars. Back in 1990 I had an 88TC converted to an EFI 302 HO 5 speed and loved the car but turbo's were not even something we thought about doing back then.
Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5:p
85 GT 1C vert = resto project grey int. no power options but A/C. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=92213&highlight=convertible+build+thread
85 GT 2R hatch = ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
85 GT 2A hatch =  tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, BBK headers, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
90 LX EL hatch = grey int. stock 5.0 auto
85 GT 1C hatch = parts car :(

Blue by You - TC+4

Reply #164
Did a few things today...

1. Checked out the the driver's seat to try and lower it (as my head washiznitting the sunroof ceiling).  I removed the driver's seat and seat track.  It would be extensive work to lower the floorpan and could only gain 1/2-1" with all that work.  The power seat tracks fully lowered are about 3" thick.  Other than changing out to manual seat tracks, I couldn't see anyway to cut down on the power track.  Then checked out the lower seat cushion...  The original owner must have been a 90 pound little old lady, because the seat cushion was like new.  The cushion is held up by thin wires about 1" apart and a frame with springs.  So I snipped the seat cushion where the wires are, so the seat cushion could sink about 1/2-1" through the wires.  So effectively the seat cushion is lower in its frame.  Just enough to give me needed headroom.

2. Replaced my headlights.  The original lights were SOOO foggy and one of the lenses fell off the housing.  I had found some NOS replacements a few months ago, so it was time to swap those out.  Man, what a difference!  I can see at night.

Next, I need to diagnose a hunting idle and intermitten stalling.  Primarily when the car is warmed up...

Slow progress, but it feels good to knock off a few things.