Skip to main content
Topic: My 87 LX (Read 81273 times) previous topic - next topic

My 87 LX

Reply #285
Its been a productive day for me. Aside from working the graveyard shift and having 2 jobs I still manage to bust out some pretty big accomplishments. I wired in the MSD today just freelance its 2 hot wires from being done 1 to the battery and one to a keyed power. I snagged the valve covers off the donor car and swapped em on and it does have some very nice roller rockers. That got me stoked. It has fairly new lakewood drag shocks on the rear.. that surprised me. Most of this car, if it had been in the right hands and a little bit nicer... Would have probably dominated the streets around here. but unlike most cars and kids my generation most think alum heads+MSD+5speed+mustang= FAST!... yeah great parts horrible execution on this poor rustang.

Oh well picture time.

Dont mind my dusty engine bay, the car hasnt seen real daylight or any sort of water in almost 2 years.

My 87 LX

Reply #286
Started stripping the donor car today. Im sooo glad i got ahold of this thing. Not just because of the parts im gaining, but for the safety of the world. Red green would be proud of this one. The car was said to be a runner. Well..... I cant see how. Nothing was tight. It was so jerry rigged it was unreal.. the good part is its stripped down to the bare bones. from what i can see if it would've been in someone else's hands it would've been a helluva nice car. The only thing that really made me laugh was the gear ratio. I had to check it to make sure it wasn't worth saving or anything. It has some extremely  tall gears that if my math was right it has 4.30s in it. 10 pinion teeth and 43 ring gear teeth. Thats freakin crazy.

My 87 LX

Reply #287
Are those Crane roller rockers?

I love how the guy puts Edelbrock Performer heads on it and sticks the stock "headers" back on :dunce:.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

My 87 LX

Reply #288
Tell me about it. That's not even the worst part. They couldn't find the right timing cover or oilpan combo or somthing dumb like that. So what do they do? Fill the gap with black rtv. Idiots.

My 87 LX

Reply #289
Out with the old and in with the new. I pulled my janky 302 yesterday and transplanted the new one. All I have left is to wire the rest of the MSD, reroute the fuel system a touch, do some exhaust modding and put the radiator and stuff back in. But I busted out a very large portion of it yesterday. Picture will come later stay tuned

And Lou, they're harland sharp rockers

My 87 LX

Reply #290
Nice progress Clayton.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

My 87 LX

Reply #291
Still no pics but she fired up. Have a lot more work to do but its getting busy around the house

My 87 LX

Reply #292
heres the pics
Old turd.

Any real car guy has seen this phenomina motors are multiplying everywhere!

This picture was taken at about 8:30 am.. it was a rough night woke up at 5 like I was shot out of bed

heres 11am

What a difference a set of valvecovers can do to make the engine look bigger.

And thats it for now enjoy!

My 87 LX

Reply #293
Looks great! About time  to get that thing back on the road.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

My 87 LX

Reply #294
So wait which engine got swapped in? I lost track :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

My 87 LX

Reply #295
I love the engines sitting on tires. That looks so funny, yet so ingenious.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

My 87 LX

Reply #296
Thanks bryan I can't wait to take a rip around the block.

Lou, its one of the 5 sbf's I have here. One that runs!

Zonda we use what we have to. Lol its been working like a champ for me for years. Especially for hauling them. Keeps them from moving or sliding.

I got her fired up again today added antifreeze and she's purrin like a kitten. Love it already

My 87 LX

Reply #297
Well I got the exhaust redone. Modified a h-pipe to work with my longtubes. Well, now with that being said. I got her fired up and let her warm up and revved her up a bit. Its crazy. This motor sounds so much healthier than my other one. I'm so glad I bought that junk mustang..

My 87 LX

Reply #298
Good to hear its running and healthy! I use old tires to hold spare engines too. Works great for transporting them in a truck bed.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

My 87 LX

Reply #299
No real progress I just got the doghouse back together so I could work on the girlfriends aztek, and I have a lot of auto work to do for some people. Same story this time of year lol waiting on taxes haha.