Skip to main content
Topic: My 87 LX (Read 81276 times) previous topic - next topic

My 87 LX

Reply #270
Yessir. I cant wait til I can take her around the block. I bet ill be ecstatic for that much less on over to Hebron lol. I remember taking it to CJ back in 07. That was fun but that was also almost factory haha. I dont even remember what it used to drive like. I just know that it was tired and sacked out in every way possible

My 87 LX

Reply #271
Small update. I started working on my door I got from Graham. Got the keyless entry hole all welded up and started taking it down to get it level. Not really much of anything else.

Thats about it lol.

My 87 LX

Reply #272
I started work on my door got it ready for some filler and all the goodies.

Scored a manual driver side seat track from Eric (the_intimidator03)

and might have a very good chance at a very nice replacement for my mule motor. just need to come up with the money. Its a dyno proven 400+ horse explorer 302 GT40P heads, Ebrock victor intake, 750 holley, 150 shot, MSD 6al with studder box, all dialed in and ready to drop in and go. Just need 800 bux. lol

My 87 LX

Reply #273
ive got a pretty decent update for you guys. Its been a little while. I got another job and havent had time to turn around it seems. Well heres the story. I had been saving for an already built 302 with a cam, GT40P's, nitro, and all sorts of go fast goodies on it. it was dynoed in on a 150 shot at 425 horse. thought woah cool! my buddy said $800 for it.... SWEET! got the 8 saved up and went to talk to him and he said he was going to finish the car no big deal I had 800bux to play with. After he lays on the bad news he goes on to tell my one of his buddies has a 83-84 GT for sale that comes with 2 motors. OK How much? then he goes on to tell me all the stuff in theese motors/ car/ blah blah.

Well Ill get to the price here in a minute.. I bought it. but this is what I got out of it.

2 roller 302's
1 set of E7's or E6's 1 Set of edelbrock performer ALUMINUM heads
2 pairs of headers
2 mallory distributors set up for a MSD 6AL
1 MSD 6AL box
another t5 and all the trimmins.
a holley 600 and edelbrock 600
1 chrome performer 289 intake and 1 satin edelbrock 289 also.
1 set of black pony's and 2 regular pony's
some dumb 5" monster tach
2 very nice grey seats with HALO headrests.
1 motor in the car, and the other on the floor.

The car looks good from a distance but is a total rot box.

Alright heres the price. $750. for everything.

not bad eh?

My 87 LX

Reply #275
Glad to see you working on it still.

What kinda shape is the "extra" t-5 in? Would you sell it to help fund your project?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

My 87 LX

Reply #276
Nice score! The heads alone are worth that.

I've got those heads on my T-bird. With a stock GT40 intake (that flows 205 cfm) and the 1.90 valve Performers (which flow 245 cfm intake), and the rest of the mods in my sig the car runs 97 mph in the quarter, at a 3700lb race weight. With a ported GT40 lower (which will flow 250 cfm) and a 70mm TB I have no doubt it will hit at least 100 mph in the quarter. With a lighter weight car and a T5 you're T-bird should trap 105+ easily. You got a great deal :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

My 87 LX

Reply #277
Awsome deal! wow! I like the scoop on the stang too. It looks like one from a Boss 9.

My 87 LX

Reply #278
Sweet score Clayton!!!

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

My 87 LX

Reply #279
thanks guys! Well i tried to make the pony run today by getting some stuff sorted out. eh, this pony is part nova... no-go. I got her to crank and backfire big as can be. No worries though. I decided I had heard enough. I started by ripping the monster tach out. Didnt know if I wanted to save it or not so I set it on the bench. It had a pillar pod with a couple gauges in it, yanked that out. I disected the absolutly horrific wiring nightmare that was the MSD box. I think when I was 10 I didnt do this bad of half-assery. All thats really left now is to get the exhaust dropped, motor and tranny mounts and some other little BS nipped out of the way and the alum headded motor is ready to be tossed on a stand and gone through.

I was working on it and my cousin popped in and was all mustang this and mustang that and the question arose "wanna sell the tranny?" I said shoot me an offer. he said 400 I said done. so now the car only cost me $350. SWEET! ill make the rest back in no time. Thats head work, possibly a good cam, and some other aftermarket anomalies.

Im excited.

My 87 LX

Reply #280
Nice wheeling and dealing!  If you were closer I would be asking you about one of the roller 5.0 engines.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 T-Bird V6 C5
91 F-150 5.0L 5spd
93 Mustang LX 351C C4
2013 Honda CRV AWD

My 87 LX

Reply #281
im planning on sending the heads out to be planed and trued once i get the money.But Im using those on my 351 when I get it around to being built. Thats about 2k away still. machine work and the rotating assembly. but atleast I knocked a big chunk of my motor build money out. I was either going with AFR's Trickflows, or Edelbrock heads. so score one for the home team there. I have the MSD now and I intend on using that bad boy to the max. rev limiter will keep my ponies in line. I just cant wait to get the motor out of the stang and get it on a stand.

Both motors came with ARP bolt kits in them so im set there. If memory serves me the one in the car has harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers. Basically when it comes time to build my 408 Im set top end wise. All I really need is the rotating assembly, intake and a cam which ive already pretty much decided on aside from whick one I want to spend the cheddar on first.

The motor thats on the floor at the moment will be the first one to hit the stand. All that one needs is to be cleaned up real nice, painted (not ford blue), and just detailed and tossed in. I decided that Im going to keep my power rack seeing how I have a good working accy. drive pulley setup now. all I need is new inner tie rods and a bump steer kit with a new steering shaft then that particular portion is done. Im going to most likely cut down the H-pipe in the mustang and weld some 3 bolt s to it so I can get my exhaust done a little better and be able to drop it whenever I want/need to. its gonna be really cool to see it all come together... again.

By the way has anyone had any experiance with using a MSD 6AL box and keeping the factory tach in working condition?

My 87 LX

Reply #282
Hey Clayton.....:evilgrin:..... Have I got the cam for your 351w and those heads. That is if the block your using is non-roller. It's a comp cam .544 lift w/ 240/246 Dur @.50 lift.  Duration at .006 is spec'd @ 284/296. It's just sitting around in it's box collecting dust.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

My 87 LX

Reply #283
Lol I've got the odd dog 351 mine is a roller. That project is out in deep water right now. I'm gonna drop a motor in and go for now, tie up all my loose ends first blow the car apart, do all the body work she needs, shoot her then its time for the big kahuna.. then shortly after that's all done a TKO. Cause this T 5 won't last very long I'm sure. I haven't been nice to it so we'll see. With the combo I have I'm shooting for mid 13's. My buddies 87 GT has about the same combo motor wise as the motor I'm about to clean up and toss in for the moment sans the spray. Motor for motor the one I have on the floor is from my buddies convertible. Motor against motor the Vert spanked my buddies GT with spray it was a different story. But nics GT ran low 11's on the bottle. Just for a temp motor until I decide what the hell I'm doing ill be satisfied with it.

As for the 408. I was going to run a CHP 408 street fighter kit with either a TFS stage 1 cam or a f303 wasn't sure on that one yet all comes down to cheddar I s'pose. Me ebrock heads, a super victor jr intake, and be set. Its going to be done the first time I do it until I crave more power or get some miles on it. I was thinking of mounting a novi 2000 on the side at a set 6 or 7 psi.

The suspention can  near handle everything that I'm going to throw at it. The only thing that even remotely spooks me is the fact that I could tear my torque boxes all up. Then I'd have to figure out a plan from there. Maybe by then I can terminate all and back half the car with a 9" and a 4 link and tub it. But that's a wet dream at this point thinking of ripping around the block makes me smile now

My 87 LX

Reply #284
Got my short term replacement motor up on the stand today. Got it stripped of all its B.S. started getting it ready for paint. I now have 2 non a/c steering pumps, a smog delete pulley, 2 pairs of solid motor mounts. I can't wait to get my motor pulled and the standby motor put in. If only the motor in my car was a roller. Eh not really. I gotta get the rustang up to the garage and blown apart so I can make some money back off of it.