Skip to main content
Topic: I wish these valve covers fit EFI 302s (Read 9393 times) previous topic - next topic

I wish these valve covers fit EFI 302s

Reply #45
These are much prettier. Stockers are pretty ugly on 3.8's. Besides, I'll prolly end up getting the polished ones anyway, not the chrome. Chrome would be a little over the top for my engine bay. Besides they're half the price too.;)

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-valvecovers-v6.html?utm_content=bbk-valvecovers-v6&utm_campaign=FROOG&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #46
You'd better get to doing some nice detailing under the hood on that engine. Those BBK's are nice looking covers,and will look out of place if the rest of the engine isn't sweetened up. Bead blast the upper and lower intake,clear the bottom after that,and polish the raised areas of the upper,leave the rest natural,and clear that as well. Sweetness. While the intake is off. clean the block and paint it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #47
Oh,the BBKs for the 5.0 (same design) are the same price on Ebay. I've sen a lot of chrome 3.8 covers for about $40.00 also. That would leave a lot of money for other things.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #48
My engine's cleaner than you think;) And as far as the intake goes, don't worry, I've got a whole 'nother plan for that:evilgrin:

Anyway, at some point in the not so distant future I'm going to be pulling the engine and and painting the chassis cause it's dirttttty and faaaaaded. And then I'm going to be painting/polishing various parts of the engine as well. Actually, 1.5 yrs ago when I swapped the engine I cleaned and painted 95% of everything on my engine. So really, its not that bad. Honest. I just need to powder coat the oil pan cause paint wont stay on it, and take care of a few misc things like the throttle cable and other small things like that.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #49
Are you going with a '99 Mustang style intake (somewhere around that year)? Those are nice looking.

Reply #50
Swap to the windstar one, and gain some power too.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #51
Quote from: vinnietbird;351867
Are you going with a '99 Mustang style intake (somewhere around that year)? Those are nice looking.

Quote from: Haystack;351870
Swap to the windstar one, and gain some power too.

:evilgrin:

on the nose;)
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #52
Do you already have the intake? If so,what vehicle did it come from,and if it came from/or comes from....an SN-95 Stang,would that throttle cable work? The SN-95 Stangs are just modified Fox Bodies.

Reply #53
No, I do not currently have it, but its in a Windstar in a local yard and I know its not going anywhere anytime soon. Yes, the throttle cable should work, but I will have to make some other changes, such as a switch to MAF to make it work properly.

Geez I'm about to have to start a new thread for all this lol.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #54
One wouldn't have to have Mass Air for an intake would you? I thought that was more cam related. Won't it still use the same size injectors as well?

Reply #55
I have to switch to Mass Air b/c the intake uses a different sensor setup than the SD intakes. I think thats why anyway... It doesn't matter either way b/c I want to switch to MAF just for the better power and so I can boost it later.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #56
I know with the 5.0, Mass Air had no effect on power. It was needed when the E303 cam went in. The 3.8 Is not an engine I spent much of any time with,though.

Reply #57
Well afaik I'm still going to need it when I go with boost.;)
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #58
Actually the 5.0 HO SD system can handle boost. You can use a KB blower with the stock 5.0 HO SD system.

Just remember the SD system on an 88 3.8 is a batch fire system. The SD 3.8 system didn't go SEFI till 89 and then went MAF in 91. The T-bird SC was always MAF. AFAIK your best bet for a MAF swap+split port heads/intake is a 99-04 Mustang 3.8 system.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #59
No I want to use a 91-94 3.8 MAF computer so 1. I can keep my distributor and 2. I don't want all the OBD-II bs. And I'm going to go with the windstar intake because it makes better torque, and its lighter and easier to keep clean too. Then It'll get ported and a 65mm MAF too. Then we'll basically be going with an SC shortblock with a forged 4.2 stroker crank in the bottom end. And somewhere in that process I'll be getting some 1.7 roller rockers, which will be unfortunately hidden by me, wait for it, VALVE COVERS.

See how I tied that back in? Now its valid response to the thread again;)
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L