Skip to main content
Topic: My Sport (Read 24806 times) previous topic - next topic

My Sport

Reply #45
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;355912
I'll give you a call tomorrow..if I don't, text me and remind me and shiznit...

you talking to me?

My Sport

Reply #46
Score of the day: '96 Stang GT Springs. Free.

Met a guy who was coming in as we were going back to the truck to get tools...he had springs he was gonna throw in for some discounts on other parts...he was wearing a Mustang hat. On a gut feeling, I asked him if those springs he was carrying were out of a 94+ Stang...he said they were. That he was gonna get a little credit for 'em. I asked if he;d sell 'em..he said hell, take 'em...doubted he'd get a lot for 'em anyway. Hell yeah.

So i snagged a MarkVII rotor and caliper...thinking maybe I could make it work on my TC rear, while using a pair of '97 Stang axles. So after some measuring in the shop, and then research on here and CoolCats..have found that I need all the brackets/mounts from the Mark's rear. Also didn't know there was a difference in rotor dia. between the 2.

Anyone need a Mark 7 rotor and caliper...in good shape?
Guess when I have more money and time I could go back and get all that i need from it, in regards to brake parts and needed hardware. (Swapping the Linc rear is not an option).

Figures that as soon as got my TC springs back in, I'd find a set of SN95 springs...what's that about 3 steps backward for every one forward. I KNEW I shoulda waited another day or so lol.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

My Sport

Reply #47
A litle patience goes a long way. LOL. Get the engine bay clean, get the engine clean, drop in the engine, swap the springs. It won't take long, and you'll like the mild drop. Don't forget the alignment.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My Sport

Reply #48
Needs a TC front bumper....
1986 Cougar LS

My Sport

Reply #49
Well, the junkyard rack that has new inner tie rods is cleaned, installed and bolted tight. Once wifey gets home, I'm gonna go wrench on it a bit more, get the tires on, and eyeball the adjustment for the outer tie rods to get it by till i get it in shape enough to hit the alignment rack. Plans for later are to put the T5 onto the engine, and figure out if I wanna trade some junk for a '90 Stang LX Stang that needs a motor. Don't worry, the Bird is going nowhere...all the blood and sweat it's drained from me has convinced me to keep it. And, I'll be ed, I've even picked up a ac compressor, lines, and condenser for it as well. The 101 degree heat of the previous week has sold me on the AC...

I know it's only a steering rack, but, like The Man says..."one piece at a time"

I'll grab some pics later when I can get back outside...the kids are awake now. Happy 4th people...stay safe and be cool! :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

My Sport

Reply #50
Pass on the LX...It'll be a distraction and you'll never get either car done. Stick to one thing at a time until you're done. Stangs are everywhere. Instead of trading for a Stang roller, trade for parts you need to finish the Bird.

Good idea grabbing up the a/c stuff. No need to suffer while you're driving. Takes the enjoyment out of it. It's been over a hundred degrees here for the past two weeks, and more of the same all this week. Yes, A/C a good thing.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My Sport

Reply #51
My only thoughts about the Stang were that I have what it needs to be a daily driver/kid hauler...it's a really clean car, much better than the one my buddy just bought that has the engine issues.

I'd be trading a coupla junk vehicles even for it...has a clean title...he showed it to me last night when I was helping him with his other Stang.
I'd slap my turbines on it..it needs new tires anyway, and possibly throw my TC spindles and 11" brakes on. Other than it, it would stay stock.

He has the AC stuff laying around from other stang's he's built...since I have a complete stang engine...grab and go...he was gonna s it, so a freebie, lol. Even got an AC compressor bracket since a previous owner of my engine cut it off...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

My Sport

Reply #52
Well, in that case................................

My Sport

Reply #53
I've even thought about the Stang...putting my 5.0/T5 in it...driving it till fall, then flipping it for project money to finish up the Sport...just thoughts though, really. We'll see........
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

My Sport

Reply #54
That's how the beginning of the end starts.....

If you barely have time to work on the Sport, where do you find time to do a whole other car. You know, as we all do, it's never as easy as "I'll just drop an engine and tranny, then......."...It always turns into a hundred other things. Stick with the Sport. Otherwise, I'll be here in a few months when you're telling how you just won't ever get the Bird finished, and you'll never enjoy it...and etc.... etc...

I've seen it over and over here. Focus !!!!

I mean no offense, but Beau.....look at where your car is now, what you need, what you have left to do.....don't let the Stang jade you. All that glitters isn't gold.

My Sport

Reply #55
Vinnie, I've been focused all day lol. Rack in, tie rod ends roughly adjusted, tires/wheels on the front. It's off the jackstands for the first time in probably 4 months or more.
Even put the one back wheel/tire on. It's on all fours, steering shaft in, engine uncovered. Engine is gonna get dropped in later after the kids are in bed and we've shot off a few fireworks here.

I've made more progress today than I have in the last 4 months combined. I'm f'kin fired up!

As for the Stang...it'd be for a daily driver, not a project. We need something with a backseat NOW....that's it close, cheap, and in such decent shape make it hard to just say no to.

It has a 2.3/T5, but the 2.3 needs a timing belt. I'd probably just fix it, drive it, and keep diggin at the Sport till it's all together.

Either way, I'm not draggin' it out anymore...I want to drive my V8 'Bird in a bad bad way.

And no offense taken...I appreciate the the thoughts...rest assured the Stang (if I do get it) won't distract my attention :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

My Sport

Reply #56
engine and trans bolted together, almost ready to go in. I was going to drop it in, but after wasting an hour looking for my little chain I ended up using a different chain, also had to dig through a coupla pans of bolts to find some exhaust bolts long enough to go through the links.

Won't be long now...if I can get a couple of free hours tomorrow before work, the engine will be in the car, hopefully.
I'll be pretty satisfied to have it where I can least start it and idle in and out of the shop...that bitch gets hot without any air moving through it...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

My Sport

Reply #57
Had a little help(er):
X

The engine is now in...had a fight with one of the mount bolts. Several serious cusswords later, I finally got it in. Fuel lines, trans crossmember, upper intake and wire it, and it will start.

Feels good to make a little progress.

More pics tomorrow, if I feel like braving the heat again..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

My Sport

Reply #58
The heat......the HEAT !!!! At least 105 for the past 5 days. It's been crazy, but I've been it as well. Gotta do what we gotta do to get the work done. Glad to see some real progress being made. It's also inspiring to be able to actually SEE the progress.

Do you have a Ford Racing a/c delete kit?

Beau, who's that ugly guy helping your son with the engine in the pic? LOL.

My Sport

Reply #59
Quote from: vinnietbird;363214
The heat......the HEAT !!!! At least 105 for the past 5 days. It's been crazy, but I've been it as well. Gotta do what we gotta do to get the work done. Glad to see some real progress being made. It's also inspiring to be able to actually SEE the progress.

Do you have a Ford Racing a/c delete kit?

Beau, who's that ugly guy helping your son with the engine in the pic? LOL.

Yeah, I got it from FLSTC on here...it's a genuine Motorsport part...still have the box somewhere lol.

The ugly guy..oh, that's just some weirdo bolting a transmission on in 95 degree heat lol. Hey, it beats standing in the sun, holding a 27 pound chainsaw and cutting wood, lol

I'll take a a pic or two tomorrow of the engine sitting in the car. I need to get under it long enough to put the trans x-member in, in case i (need to) move the 'Bird and the jackstand rocks over and causes a problem...

It's did drop the front of the car down considerably, but no idea how much as I don't have the front clip on yet. Once I get some trans fluid, and coolant, I'll start putting on the clip so I can move it outside under a tree to work on.

It can be 90 outside, but if the sun is shining, the inside of the shed is about 25 degrees higher. I lost 7 pounds between 8 pm and 4 am Sunday night...no joke.
Felt like  all night at work tonight because of it.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6