Skip to main content
Topic: Imported Iron (Read 6093 times) previous topic - next topic

Imported Iron

Ok guys, im sure one or two people will flame over this.

Ive been thinking long and hard about the drive train in the cat and ive finally come up with an idea. Ive loved the song of an OHC 4v motor since learning how the tricky buggers work in my motorcycle.

2UZ-FE, its one of them 'yota engine, foreign jobbers.
I think i would be very pleased with the power it makes in stock form, and if i ever got bored TRD makes a blower for it. Im finding it to be a pretty impressive engine, readily available with 200k+ on them.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/273882-2uzfe-swap-into-fj80-building-progress.html

Now i know that link has nothing to do with a Fox body car but they guys there seem to know the parts interchange quite well. The engine came in the Tundra as well as the Lexus SC and LS400's. I see no reason this swap wouldnt be a fairly easy job.

I am hoping to find some time to call around to the salvage yards and find a blown up core local just for mock up. I dont know why but i always like having two engines of the same kind and ive already got 3 SBF's and only two cars now.:rollin:
Current-
87 Cougar
88 Crown Vic LTD
84 Yamaha Xt600

previous cars -
1990 Dodge Daytona -
1990 Geo Prizm -
1987 Honda Accord - 140mph wonder? Rally ready..... K.I.A. at WOT due to massive head failure. Still had the best paint-job EVER...
1998 Suzuki Sidekick 4D -
1969 Falcon Futura w/ Sports Coupe option (now go try and find that? And if you do tell me where it is!!)

The Cougar will never be for sale, Only up for trade on a 68,69 Falcon 2D.

Imported Iron

Reply #1
Personally,if parts are easy to find for it and affordable,I say do what YOU want to do.I can't flame you,it's your car and you should do what you like with it.Good luck,and post pics of the build......if you do it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Imported Iron

Reply #2
my stepmom has an 09 tundra v6 even though the engine is peppy it still has its issues with the drive line she sets the cruse and even on flat road it jumps into passing gear way to much and with only  15k on it the vale train rattles bad. she takes it to the dealership for all services and they say their is nothing wrong i went with her the last time watched them check it out all they did was change the oil didn't even try to check on the issues she was having with it. i ask the service manager y they didnt look into it he said they were to busy with the accleration problems to deal with it right now. I am in the process of dealing with anouther dealership to help her out.

Imported Iron

Reply #3
Hard to believe one could have a valve rattle. I would look every where else first. The valve lash is a fairly permanent thing on the shim over bucket valves. The design lets IRL carshiznit 15k RPM. Thats 1piston and 4 valves going thumpity thump 350 times a second, kinda tricky to hear a valve tapping on these things. And this engine has close ties to IRL.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-TOYOTA-SEQUOIA-4-7-VVT-LIFTERS-R-SIDE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3c9ca6bQQitemZ260472162923QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Current-
87 Cougar
88 Crown Vic LTD
84 Yamaha Xt600

previous cars -
1990 Dodge Daytona -
1990 Geo Prizm -
1987 Honda Accord - 140mph wonder? Rally ready..... K.I.A. at WOT due to massive head failure. Still had the best paint-job EVER...
1969 Falcon Futura w/ Sports Coupe option (now go try and find that? And if you do tell me where it is!!)

Imported Iron

Reply #4
Interesting, but if you're going to go with an OHC 4V engine why not find a 4.6 DOHC from a Lincoln Mark VIII? All of the parts you'd ever need to make that engine work in a Fox body are readily available from junkyards and the aftermarket (including oil pan, K-member, mounts, headers, etc), as are performance parts (the engine is basically the same as the Cobra engines). You could even top it off with a T45 tranny if you wanted to row your own boat. As far as I can see the Toyota engine would have zero advantages over a Ford modular...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Imported Iron

Reply #5
Personally I like Ford powerplants in Ford vehicles...but that's my opinion. :flame:

Quote from: Thunder Chicken;319715
As far as I can see the Toyota engine would have zero advantages over a Ford modular...

x2...
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Imported Iron

Reply #6
All I know is my buddys aunt has an '02 or something Sequoia and he says that thing sounds "like a nascar motor" :hick: LOL
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Imported Iron

Reply #7
I say, whatever mows your lawn
 its your car :D
Fox-less at the moment

Imported Iron

Reply #8
I was always disgusted by the streetrods with chevy engines and I think I woiuld be with a rice engine in a ford.  just my .02

Imported Iron

Reply #9
i have not tore into the engine it just sounds like the valves anddont want to void her warenty ill let the fix it . but i have seen people use cheby engines in a ford,dodge,toyota ect.. what would make them do that well i guess stuipidty. but its ur car do what u want it will be diff. from everyone else .

Imported Iron

Reply #10
Quote from: daddybair7;31972 but i have seen people use cheby engines in a ford,dodge,toyota ect.. what would make them do that well i guess stuipidty. .[/QUOTE

not wanting that to come across wrong way i just think its best to use only the engines made from the manufacture for the type of car. i would love to ford power in everything just to prove how much better it would be but thats just wrong my bad for not making that clear

Imported Iron

Reply #11
I know it's your car and you can do as you please with it. But for me, I feel if you want toyo power buy a toyo, if you want chevy power buy a chevy, ect, ect. I like my Ford's and will even buy and have bought a Mazda. Ford owns 51% of Mazda, so to me it's in the same family. I'm the same way with the street rods. If you want a Ford build a Ford, if you want a chevy build a chevy. That's just my 2cents.

Imported Iron

Reply #12
Quote from: daddybair7;319727
i have not tore into the engine it just sounds like the valves anddont want to void her warenty ill let the fix it . but i have seen people use cheby engines in a ford,dodge,toyota ect.. what would make them do that well i guess stuipidty. but its ur car do what u want it will be diff. from everyone else .

When dispensing such criticism, it is probably best to first ensure you can spell don't, warranty, Chevy, and most importantly, stupidity. It might also be helpful make sure your entire post is actually readable by anyone more than casually familiar with the English language, but I might be a bit biased on that one.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Imported Iron

Reply #13
Im just trying to think different guys, Its not about domestic or import to me. Hell if i had the resources id put two engines in the thing why not. After different comes cost effective. And if i can get my hands on a running rollover sequoia at auction for what im going to put into building my 289 and finding a trans, why not look into it.

Everyone keeps saying ford ford ford, and all i can say is i drive a mercury. Different is the key. In the 60s mercurys claim to fame was being different from all the rest. Im not saying the yota engine is the be all end all of engines Im just saying id like to blow one up.

They all do eventually.
Current-
87 Cougar
88 Crown Vic LTD
84 Yamaha Xt600

previous cars -
1990 Dodge Daytona -
1990 Geo Prizm -

Imported Iron

Reply #14
Quote from: 1Bad88tbird;319732
Ford owns 51% of Mazda

Not anymore...Ford has somewhere around 13% of Mazda, and NEVER had anything over 33-something percent. :D

I used to be on bandwagon of "Ford Car, Ford Power", but anymore, who the hell cares? About the only thing stock on my car is the engine wiring, glass, body, and console...a different breed of engine wouldn't make a lot of difference to me now...

Wasn't hot rodding all about putting a better, more powerful engine (and drivetrain etc) into your fun car?

So, what's changed with that idea?

As for Ford making better motors than anyone else...sheeyeah, but no. Sure, they have this Coyote thing (the new 5.0 Stang engine) but plenty of other folks are making nice engines that kick your ass as well.
Gimme an LS-whatever, and let me put that in my Tbird...mmm-hmmm.
More power, less weight, and better economy than the HO...yeah, I'm in! ;)

Just sayin'....sometimes it's good to be different. :D
I alsk think it'd be tits to the nines to have a TT Supra engine in a TC...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6