Skip to main content
Topic: Imported Iron (Read 6092 times) previous topic - next topic

Imported Iron

Reply #15
Our cars came with an engine with one of, if not, the strongest after market engines in the world. It is a easy as opening up a catalog to buy parts for with almost every convenience of a modern car, and you want to put a smaller, less fuel efficient engine with almost no after market into one? If you wanted to throw in a chevy 350, at least there would be some logic to it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Imported Iron

Reply #16
Quote from: 50tbrd88;319721
Personally I like Ford powerplants in Ford vehicles...but that's my opinion. :flame:

x2...

x2 +1
Mike

Imported Iron

Reply #17
Quote from: 88turbo;319726
I was always disgusted by the streetrods with chevy engines and I think I woiuld be with a rice engine in a ford.  just my .02

I am not only disgusted by that but also when I see a GM tilt steering column used as a retrofit in a old Ford...

Imported Iron

Reply #18
Quote from: Watchdevil;319805
I am not only disgusted by that but also when I see a GM tilt steering column used as a retrofit in a old Ford...

What about the fact that Ford used GM power steering pumps, air conditioning compressors, and carburetors from the factory?

Come on guys, give the fellow a break! These are cars, designed and built by men. God has never built a car, nor does He care whether or not we swap engines around.

Good grief Charlie Brown!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Imported Iron

Reply #19
I have one leg in the antique Toyota world and one leg here in the mid-80's Thunderbirds and Cougars world, and I am actively involved in grassroots racing, vintage racing, and custom car restoration. I have long felt that a Ford in a Ford, a Chevy in a Chevy, a Toyota in a Toyota. But guess what?

Some of the coolest things I've ever seen have come from guys and girls taking a little from here and a little from there and making it unique.

It's your money. Stimulate the economy as you see fit.

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

Imported Iron

Reply #20
the reason why people put chevy engines into a street rod is due to how cheap it is to build up a chevy as far as higher hp levels vs ford.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Imported Iron

Reply #21
Quote from: Cougar8775;319856
the reason why people put chevy engines into a street rod is due to how cheap it is to build up a chevy as far as higher hp levels vs ford.

I'll just go ahead and say bullshiznit on that right now.

It's (mostly) a holdover from the days when Ford had only flatheads as V8's, while Chevy had the new ohv smallblock. More power, less weight, etc.

Then the whole trend continued, yes, partly because a 350 could be built cheaper, but mostly because every junkyard had a few in it.

Now, I think you can build a nice windsor for close to what you can build a comparable 350.
In fact, I think Hot Rod magazine did it some years ago, not sure exactly, but IIRC the difference was just a few hundred bucks..

Then again, we're talking street rods....typically based around a smallblock Chevy.

Everybody is always "shove a V8 in it"..nice to see someone wanting to go down a different path. Remember folks...evolution is the key to surviving... ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Imported Iron

Reply #22
The motors/drivetrains are the hearts of the cars they are in. Swap them with another  manufacturer and you might as well rip all the badges off and make up a name for it...... It just takes away from the integrity of the car, IMHO. But to each their own, I know I wouldnt want someone telling me how to build my car. Opinons are..... well, opinions.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Imported Iron

Reply #23
even though people still swap engines from make to make. you still have the guys who show up in say a mustang with cheby engine and claims its an improvement because of the engine but in the same day  a guy beats him dragracing in a camaro but its got a mopar power plant. the guy in the mustang says well u won cause of the cheby body and design. seen that one before

Imported Iron

Reply #24
Screw you all, I'm just going to drop a PRV V6 into the 83 and be done with it. (Only partly kidding...)

This discussion is so tired.  There are so many more important things in life to get bent out of shape over.

Personally, I like these cars for the styling and not the mechanicals.  80's drivetrains, suspensions and braking systems leave SO much to be desired. Improve and move on.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Imported Iron

Reply #25
Quote from: Chuck W;319886
Personally, I like these cars for the styling and not the mechanicals.  80's drivetrains, suspensions and braking systems leave SO much to be desired, improve and move on.

That's my thought. I went with what I could afford, what made the best power with the least work, with the minimum of modifications.

Hence, why I have a 5.0HO.

I'd love an LS2, 7, 9, or whatever...but I don't have 3 G's for a motors, electronics...etc. Nor have I the skills to fabricate the mounts etc.

It's just a car, just a hobby. Breathe people. :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Imported Iron

Reply #26
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;319890
what I could afford, what made the best power with the least work, with the minimum of modifications.

Wouldn't that be a Turbo Coupe? :rollin:
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Imported Iron

Reply #27
hey im not upset its a free country hell i've owned 3 yoto's in the past not proud of it but i have. i just like things to stay ford-ford ,cheby-cheby,yoto-yoto. yes i know people like to change things up thats their right to do so and more power to em. now lets get back foxbody love we all know we got :burnout:

Imported Iron

Reply #28
I went to a car show in Tennessee a couple weeks ago and I thought one of the coolest things I saw there was a 1946 GMC pickup truck with a Nissan V6 and transmission under the hood!  You could not even tell by looking at it from the outside.  It also had a front suspension from a 90's S10.  It was really cool.

So I say you do whatever the hell you want.  It's your car and your money and I don't really care.  :p
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Imported Iron

Reply #29
Dude, go for it!!!

People will go on and on about put a ford in a ford, and gm in a gm, and so on and so on. And, yes, that is my opinion also.

But, to me, what counts more is originality, and what makes YOU happy. Think about how proud you're going to be when that's done. Think about how many people are going to look at that when you show it off and be like "Woah", because of all the effort you put into making that something that very few people have done. Everybody and their brother has swapped in a 5.0HO, and there's nothing wrong with that! But, do you wanna ride the bandwagon?

Thats why I'm trying to build my v6 up. Everyone I know is constantly telling me "Just put a Mustang motor in it and be done with it!". Well, you know what? I don't want to! I know I'll probably *never* get >250hp out of it, but right now I'll take on somebody's stock SO any day, and when I'm done with it, I'll take on your HO. How many non SC v6's do you see from the 80's that put out v8 power? I love knowing that I've put so much hard work into what is not typically done. Its not always about taking the easy way out, or making everyone else happy. It's about taking the time and effort (and money:() and making YOUR dream into a reality.

Think about how many people have told any of us to quit trying to mod parts off of everything else for the Tbird or cougar, and just get a Mustang....but do we listen???

And as far as you putting a ricer engine in there, were talking about a (possibly supercharged?) 4.7L 270HP RWD oriented V8!
It might not be American, but its still Muscle. It's not like your swapping in a mtn dew sized fwd civic 4-banger w/ a little turbo.

All in all, I say go for it, and be happy with it.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on anybody.

I'm just giving my opinion. We all have 'em.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L