Skip to main content
Topic: too bad these cars didnt have ABS brakes! (Read 3150 times) previous topic - next topic

too bad these cars didnt have ABS brakes!

the only thing i would change on the 1983-88 thunderbirds /cougars would be a wish for ABS brakes :bowdown:  did the 87-88 turbo coupes have it?  these cars ride well and the mileage aint that bad .
they look great too:D:D:  too bad ford let these beauties go !!
or has someone done a retrofit of ABS to their car:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: 
just thinking is all ................
eddie

my rides well some of them work:hick:

1995 towncar in black 246 K non running
1989 continental 110K waiting for a part
1984 cougar head gaskets done almost ready!
Yikes the daily ride ...1998 chevy lumina:hick:

Reply #1
the 87-88 turbo coupes had it. but trust me you don't want it. the system takes up way to much space under the hood. and i believe getting parts is begining to become a nightmare.

Reply #2
Yes, 87-88 TC did have it. Neener neener.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #3
if you really want em, look into swapping the sn95 stuff over. the swap has been dospoogeented a few times on fox mustangs
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #4
Yup. ABS has saved my skin already with this car.

Reply #5
Still have the ABS here and enough parts to keep it going for some time to come... Have never needed it, but I make a panic stop every once in awhile to be sure it still works...

Reply #6
That's the thing about ABS. No one really needs it.... until they lock up the front brakes because someone made a left hand turn in front of them on the highway.

Reply #7
Quote from: oldraven;308468
That's the thing about ABS. No one really needs it.... until they lock up the front brakes because someone made a left hand turn in front of them on the highway....

....and they suddenly realize they have been coddled buy luxury their whole driving existence and have no idea what threshold braking is, or how to do it :shakeass:

Reply #8
Quote from: gumby;308470
....and they suddenly realize they have been coddled buy luxury their whole driving existence and have no idea what threshold braking is, or how to do it :shakeass:

+1 I've only had one car with abs, and to be honest, I prefer them without.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #9

x2 :bowdown:
if you believe you need abs brakes then you probly DO need abs brakes. learn to brake :P
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #10

Ever hear of panic stopping? The vast majority of people have never taken their car to that threshold and wouldn't know it until they passed. I've only ever had 3 cars with ABS, so I've hardly been coddled. For the record, cars with ABS can stop within a much shorter distance than those without, and that's when tested by professionals who do this every day, and therefore know what threshold braking is. It's the same kind of argument people made for Carbs, or Seat Belts. My wife drives our Vue, which doesn't have ABS, and I know that when the time comes, she won't be thinking about threshold braking, and will lock up the tires and skid into Gord knows what. BTW, we live in a 4-season climate, so ABS is pretty much a necessity when the snow flies. Threshold braking doesn't do you one  bit of good on snowy roads.

:flip:

Reply #11
whoa. lil defensive there

Quote from: oldraven;308549
The vast majority of people have never taken their car to that threshold and wouldn't know it until they passed.

my point exactly.

as for the rest of your post, seems like you took my comment a bit personally....

Reply #12
Well, it did come off like someone was telling me I don't know how to drive my car, and that I was coddled by luxury. I don't exactly get warm fuzzy feelings when I hear things like that. I'm over it, though. Have a good one.

"Quick to anger, quick to laugh,
quick to fight, quick to forgive."
- Garnet Rogers

:cheers:

Reply #13
Speaking of someone taking a left turn in front of them:

My 17 year old son was driving yesterday in a 1992 Buick Century (green car) and a 82 year old lady turn left right in front of him in her 2002 Buick Park avenue (white car).  She was going to her hair appointment because she can no longer raise her hands up over her head to wash her hair (but for some reason she thinks she can still drive).  I think both cars were totaled; I'm sure mine sure was.  No one was hurt and this is a very good thing.

The cops did not give the old lady a ticket but I bet if the tables were turned and Sam turned in front of her he sure would have a ticket.

Don't know if ABS would have saved the day or not?  But I know that in 1994 they started to put ABS in the Century.

The 1992 is a common car and easy to replace (but I doubt they give me much more than $1,000 for it since it had some previous damage to the right rear door.  But it only had 96k miles on it, was very clean, and ran great.  Will be very hard to find another in same condition.

Would have been terrible to wreck a classice T-bird/Cougar.

As a side note all the ABS stuff went bye bye on my 1987 Turbo Coupe; took up too much room and way too many wires.

TED

Reply #14
Quote from: 88FoxBird;308472
+1 I've only had one car with abs, and to be honest, I prefer them without.

Quote from: Ductape91;308490
x2 :bowdown:
if you believe you need abs brakes then you probly DO need abs brakes. learn to brake :P

Quote from: oldraven;308549
BTW, we live in a 4-season climate, so ABS is pretty much a necessity when the snow flies. Threshold braking doesn't do you one  bit of good on snowy roads.

And just about no one can deal with the effects of unequal traction situations where one or more wheels is on a surface that is more slick than the rest, as in the case of ice, snow, or water on the side of the road but not in the middle. Remember too that most ABS systems monitor each wheel, and not the system as a whole. Try that during "threshold braking."

The biggest demonstration of what ABS can do though comes not in stopping distance, but in your ability to be both stopping at a maximum rate and still be able to steer. As ABS monitors each wheel, and it keeps all of them from sliding, it leaves traction for guiding the vehicle away from the impending collision.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis