Skip to main content
Topic: too bad these cars didnt have ABS brakes! (Read 3151 times) previous topic - next topic

too bad these cars didnt have ABS brakes!

Reply #15
thats what i was thinking about Pro... still being able to steer. thats why i like ABS :)
eddie

my rides well some of them work:hick:

1995 towncar in black 246 K non running
1989 continental 110K waiting for a part
1984 cougar head gaskets done almost ready!
Yikes the daily ride ...1998 chevy lumina:hick:

Reply #16
When I test drive a 87-88 TC,  the ABS is the first thing I check to make sure it still works.

Works great in auto-x too. ;)
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #17
Quote from: ProTouring442;308643
And just about no one can deal with the effects of unequal traction situations where one or more wheels is on a surface that is more slick than the rest, as in the case of ice, snow, or water on the side of the road but not in the middle. Remember too that most ABS systems monitor each wheel, and not the system as a whole. Try that during "threshold braking."

The biggest demonstration of what ABS can do though comes not in stopping distance, but in your ability to be both stopping at a maximum rate and still be able to steer. As ABS monitors each wheel, and it keeps all of them from sliding, it leaves traction for guiding the vehicle away from the impending collision.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

I had considered putting ABS in mine for that reason. Since I have the ABS exciter rings at all 4 corners anyway (just not all installed yet on the front). 

Cad T-bird, I have a friend who was turning left into his work and washiznit on the left side of his 69 GTO by a little grey haired lady. Ripped the entire front sheet metal and left front suspension off his car and sent her into a light pole. He got the ticket for failure to yield the right of way. This was in Texas. Go figure.
Oh ya, did I mention that she was going the same way he was!!

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #18
Quote from: ProTouring442;308643
Remember too that most ABS systems monitor each wheel, and not the system as a whole. Try that during "threshold braking."

i dont know what the turbocoupes had but most ABS brake systems of the day were rear wheels only, definately not like the "monitor everything and even uses the brakes for you at all wheels" systems of today.

as for steering while braking cant say much there since its either one or the other for me, usually the other :burnout:
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #19
Quote from: Ductape91;308879
i dont know what the turbocoupes had but most ABS brake systems of the day were rear wheels only, definately not like the "monitor everything and even uses the brakes for you at all wheels" systems of today.

as for steering while braking cant say much there since its either one or the other for me, usually the other :burnout:

Most of the import and pick up truck stuff was rear wheel only, but pretty much all of the US ABS equipped cars were 3 or 4 channel systems. The 3 channel systems were used on RWD solid axle vehicles where, due to the tendency for them to become tail-happy, you could treat the rear axle as one unit.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #20
My Durango has that 3 channel systems. It was a little disconcerting when it worked the first time. Winter time in Chicago  :punchballs:  now NWI Indiana  :punchballs: :punchballs:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #21
Quote from: Ductape91;308879

That's not the case. Otherwise, how would it help you steer if the front wheels were allowed to lock up? I doubt it's independent at each wheel, but the fronts definitely are ABS.

Reply #22
my 90 f150 only has rear channel abs. and yea. the fronts do lock up in the snow.

Reply #23
Pumping the brakes always worked for me. :dunno: Manual ABS FTW!!
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #24
Quote from: 88FoxBird;308928

Yes, and that is the best alternative when ABS is not present, but ABS will allow for a quicker stop and more control than pumping the brakes. Even the more primitive ABS systems can cycle the pressure on a given wheel several times per second, while the average human might get once per second.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #25
Quote from: 84TBirdTurbo42;308900
my 90 f150 only has rear channel abs. and yea. the fronts do lock up in the snow.

Yeah, the rear "ABS" systems used on trucks were an extension of the weight shift systems utilized on many imports, particularly German imports.

On the "weight shift" systems, the amount of weight shift was monitored mechanically via a brake bias valve operating off of the rear axle. As the rear of the vehicle would lift, the bias valve would reduce the pressure to the rear wheels to reduce the chance of premature rear wheel lock up that might lead to a "spin-out."

Of course a pick up truck is subject to extremes of chassis loading with the bed being anywhere from empty to overloaded, each radically altering the overall vehicle braking dynamics from what would be expected in a different loading situation. To remedy this and yet at the same time keep costs down, many manufacturers introduced rear wheel only ABS systems on pick ups. The systems were much more cost effective than the old weight shift systems, and much more effective at preventing rear wheel lock up as well.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Reply #26

+2 FTW. :burnout::burnout::shakeass:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #27

Same here, when I'm driving the Saturn.

Reply #28
my 1989 continental has 4 wheel abs and dual air bags :)
cepting its not working right now . oh well still got the cougar !
eddie

my rides well some of them work:hick:

1995 towncar in black 246 K non running
1989 continental 110K waiting for a part
1984 cougar head gaskets done almost ready!
Yikes the daily ride ...1998 chevy lumina:hick:

Reply #29
I'm wondering if the 87-88 XR7's had ABS.