Skip to main content
Topic: too bad these cars didnt have ABS brakes! (Read 3149 times) previous topic - next topic

too bad these cars didnt have ABS brakes!

Reply #30
Quote from: oldraven;309087
I'm wondering if the 87-88 XR7's had ABS.

Nope, they are just Merc's version of the '87-'88 Sport...

Dunno if it was clearly stated but the TCs ABS control all four wheels and AFAIK all wheels have independent control...

I'm really glad for those of you who can modulate the breaking pressure when someone pulls out in front of you necessitating a panic stop...

Reply #31
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;309096
Nope, they are just Merc's version of the '87-'88 Sport...

Right on. Thanks Tom.

Dunno if it was clearly stated but the TCs ABS control all four wheels and AFAIK all wheels have independent control...

I'm really glad for those of you who can modulate the breaking pressure when someone pulls out in front of you necessitating a panic stop...

That's one of those things I consider to be great in theory, but not guaranteed to be what would happen when the fear of hitting a one tonne object is telling you to brake. When you're on a track, your mind is in race mode. On your daily commute, your mind is in cruise mode.

Reply #32
It works good, trust me.

Not having to think about pumping the brakes lets you concentrate on other things in a panic stop. And being able to steer as well is all the better.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #33
the only time I have wished I had ABS was while turning and stopping while it was slick or icy. And even then, I would take my chances. I don't like other things controling my car while I'm driving.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #34
ABS doesn't control your car. It allows you to in extreme conditions.

Reply #35
Quote from: Haystack;309250
I don't like other things controling my car while I'm driving.

You carb'd or efi? Electronic or mechanical ignition?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles