Skip to main content
Topic: No power to IVR... (Read 6551 times) previous topic - next topic

No power to IVR...

Reply #60
ok,, this doesnt make sense,, got continuity from the ground wire to the chassis of the car,,cool
got power to the bulbs,, cool.

continuity test a random bulb, if its not blown,, then we need to stop an regroup on ideas.

it looks like the ivr is operational,, would be a good idea to swap in the other one to check its operation as well.  That wont take you but a couple seconds, your prob getting good at it by now.

also,, for snits and grins,,, unplug the connector that your gray/yellow wire is at.  measure the resistance of the wire. stick your black lead on connector end at the column, stick your red lead at pin 12 on the cluster connector C285.  should read about 8 ohms.

Also,, i re-scanned page 102 as its always been a complaint from a few people. 
see link,,,,,,,,  http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f162/jcassity_bucket/
One thing we can resolve is why the speedo section is getting no lighting.  look at the diagram then check pin 18  white / light blue of C285 (left connector) for power. If no power, it starts to point upstream in the diagram.

Also, it may be pointless but see if you have power on pin 8 light blue/red of the right hand cluster conn c246.

what a cluster f#$*

No power to IVR...

Reply #61
Ok, tested ohms between ignition connector and pin 12, and I'm getting around 9.7 ohms.

Checked for power on pin 8 on c246, and it appears to be grounded out. I first tested with my test light, and it didn't light up. Then I put the meter to Dc volts, put the black lead to a frame ground, and put the red lead to pin 8, and got negative voltage, my meter read like -96.2v,,,,, I don't know if my meter was just going nuts or what.....but I am certain there is no power getting to it.

Also checked for power to pin 18 on c285, it's getting about 11.5v to the pin.

Something else I noticed that seems odd: I know that when a car is in gear, and the engine is off, and you try to start it, some of the indicators come on. So thinking about this, I already had my car in "1" from removing the cluster, I hooked the cluster back up, and tried to start the car. The "Brake" indicator on the left side lit up. WTF???

You think maybe pin 8 is shorting everything out? Wouldn't that explain why the resistor wire may have burned in the first place?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #62
pin 8 will only get power with the headlamp switch on.  you probably were reading millivolts.

Turn on your headlamps and see what you have.

If you suddenly have power on the LCD display bulbs as well as all the other bulbs,,, there is a missing ground somewhere.

No power to IVR...

Reply #63
Ok, my "to do" list now is to check continuity and ohms between the LB/R wire on the headlight switch to pin 8 on the dash connector. It should read low resistance correct?

Also, to recheck pin 14 for continuity and also check for ohms, whilst using a better known frame ground, possibly the ebrake. Now, about what should the resistance be for each?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #64
on the pass side conn C246.........
check for power on pin 8 of the connector after the headlamp switch is turned on.

if no power , report back

check continuity from pin 14 to chassis of car on "tone" or "beep".  If the beep skips a little , flip the meter to ohms and tell us what that reading is.  I should read less than an ohm.

on the driver conn C285
check for power on pin 18 for power.

No power to IVR...

Reply #65
did you ever continuity test a random bulb that had power but would not light up?

No power to IVR...

Reply #66
Actually, just getting ready to do all those checks now, stay tuned.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #67
OK, so I checked for power to pin 8, and I'm getting about 10.25 volts.

Checked continuity from pin 14 to frame ground, got a steady beep. switched over to ohms, my meter read 0.00.

Checked power for pin 18, and it's got 10.25 volts.

Checked for continuity between the LB/r wire in headlight switch, and pin 8 on the connector, it has cont. and meter reads 0.00 ohms
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #68
Going back out to cont. check a bulb on the left side (there is about a ft of snow on the ground and it's cold!!)

*EDIT* Checked continuity between one of the speedo bulbs, and the run of film going to it, (I peeled back a little of the film to expose the copper film stuff) and it has continuity.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #69
i meant an individual bulb. 
pull it out to double check the element isnt open.

its not unlikely an inrush of power could have blown them (ie- left side of cluster bulbs) and still not have resudue on the glass itself.

No power to IVR...

Reply #71
Ohhhhhhh ok, gotcha. Took one of the speedo cluster bulbs out, no continuity......
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #72
Ok checked the cluster as you showed above, no continuity, but I couldn't peel back the film......
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #73
Went and bought some new bulbs, installed them, and no difference. The speedo lights up, with the headlight switch off, but when turned on, everything goes off but the high beam indicator. Of course it couldn't be that simple......
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #74
when you barely move the headlamp switch on, do you hear the cluster illumination relay "click"?

should be located on LH side of instrument panel near headlamp switch, or near center of cluster behind radio up in there ,, above trans hump.