Skip to main content
Topic: No power to IVR... (Read 6318 times) previous topic - next topic

No power to IVR...

Like the title says, my gas and water temp gauges aren't working. Of course, I checked the fuses, and they were fine. I made sure the water temp sensor was hooked up, and the sending unit also. I'm not sure what else to check out. The instrument panel lights up fine, the needles just don't move.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #1
when the IVR is defective,, those two devices go out.

first,, unhook your temp sensor wire (little red slip on boot) on the front driver side of intake. 
stuff that doo dad up onto a ground / bolt or something.
turn on key,, your temp guage should peg out.  if it doesnt,, in my garage the next thing would be to remove the cluster.

page 127 of the evtm.

with a steady hand, if you open your ivr up, you may find the little thin wire is broke.

I noticed the little copper foil was kind easy to break although i didnt break mine,,  i saw where it is a weak link.
also check the little contact,, this device is a thermal heat type device where when one leg gets warm,, it bends slightly
making the circuit open. if you open up yours and the contacts open (magnifying glass), it may need to be fine adjusting.
keep in mind once you fugger with it, any intended calibration on an engineering perspective will be null and void.
If something bad happens the little copper wire should burn open. 

If anyone disagrees, chime in.

No power to IVR...

Reply #2
And judging by the pictures, the IVR is on the back of the instrument panel?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #3
*Edit* Nevermind
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #4
Got the IVR out, and the little copper ribbon was broken
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #5
Took a few pics, does this look normal? The little thin wire seems to be connected to the copper ribbon, and then wraps around the little arm
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #6
Do you have a macro setting on your digital cam, if so try turning it on and taking the photo and it wont be so blurry.

No power to IVR...

Reply #7
Here is the thread especially for the IVR with better photos (on the page 3) and solving the problem - http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=25827.

No power to IVR...

Reply #8
So should I try loosening the small screw?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #9
is this the standard digital cluster? if so I have one that you can have for next to nothing plus shipping.  mine has the collar for the shift indicator in tact and the w2 mod already done.

No power to IVR...

Reply #10
It has the digital speedo with the buttstuffog gas and water temp
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #11
Are there any connectors or wires  under the hood that may somehow have come undone (other than the little red wire for the coolant temp)? There is a connector in the drivers side fender area with a red wire with a little white stripe and a black wire with a little white stripe that looks like it was connected to something at somepoint...
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #13
Is that like a direct bolt on for the original part?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

No power to IVR...

Reply #14
Went to the boneyard today, and luckily found another IVR from the same type of cluster, installed it and still not working. I have no way to check it to see if it is good though, so it may have been a bad one too. Is it possible that the electrical film stuff on the back could be damaged? It dosen't look good, and it seems really brittle.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII