Skip to main content
Topic: Dospoogeented E-7 upgrade coming soon (with lots of pics) (Read 4240 times) previous topic - next topic

Dospoogeented E-7 upgrade coming soon (with lots of pics)

With 245,000 miles on my 88 the engine and body/interior were the more attractive aspect of my $650 purchase.

After 2 months of driving the stock AOD front pump disintegrated. I replaced it with a rebuilt unit for a 5.0 Mustang with added A servo.

Rear end was leaking from all orifice so I pulled the 2:73 Tlok rear in favor of a low mile 7.5 with 3:45 gears and T-lok donated from a FourEyedPride Member.

Added mustang headers upr x pipe and flowmasters

Upgraded front brakes to 11" mustang rotors and added Mustang Pony's

The car feels much better after the gear install but is still much to be desired in the performance department.

I've collected all the E-7 parts for the swap, 190 Walbro fuel pump, and HO ECU. I've also deleted smog and doing a A/C delete with the Ford Motorsport kit since the A/C unit is beyond repair and would cost several hundred dollars to put it back in service. While it's all apart I'm replacing the radiator which fins are all bent and has green scale all over it and new water pump.

When I'm done the only thing original to the engine, and drive train will be the short block. After all this is done I'll still only have $1600 bucks in this car:D

Starting today I'll start posting pics as i go along.

Reply #1
I believe you'll need a Mustang AC/PS bracket if you're using an A/C eliminator kit. The Mustang and T-Bird/Cougar brackets are different.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
everyone on this board has at least E7 heads, so you may just be wasting your time. it's as common as changing your oil.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #4
I think that is a bit exaggerated that everyone has them I know they are mega common. I just thought I'd share the build and progress because this is a T-bird / Cougar forum you know. If you'd rather not see it then I guess you should not read further postings since its so common and boring. Good lord there always one in the crowd that's a PITA.

Reply #5
take some pics some novice maybe looking for pics for help...also dorman makes a a/c delete bracket/pulley for the thundercats for about $30
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

Reply #6
Quote from: 86Tbuzzard;284084
take some pics some novice maybe looking for pics for help

X2

I'd like to see the pics

Reply #7
x3 havent done this swap yet, got all the parts cept, opened up egr, and intake sensor....
Pics a comin?????
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Let's see it !

Reply #8
x4

I have not done the E7 heads / HO swap, so I would like to see the pictures of this deal.  I realize a search would reveal  near the same thing, but I say post it.

The subject

Reply #9
88 Sport Coupe Bucket Seat, floor shift, buttstuffog gauges, 245k, with zero rust and since I'm originally from PA I really appreciate this.

Reply #10
I have them....

On a shelf for the past few years.

Reply #11
Post up pics !

We all love pics and details.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #12
You ARE swapping the cam, correct?  You made no mention of it and considering you wish to use the HO ECU......Well they go hand in hand.  Don't forget the injectors as well ;)

As far as the A/C eliminator.......You WILL need the power steering bracket from a Fox body 5.0 Mustang as the eliminator bracket itself bolts directly to the power steering bracket as shown in the link you posted.  The holes on the eliminator will not line up with a stock Cougarbird P/S bracket.  The P/S bracket shown in the diagram is NOT provided in the kit.  The kit is merely the metal flat piece and attaching hardware.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
Ok, here is my complete list of swap parts ready to go minus a mustang p.s. bracket now:hick: I'll get one this week.

Low Mileage E-7 Heads
Stock 5.0 H0 Camshaft .444
Stock 5.0 HO Upper/Lower Intake
5.0 Throttle Body / EGR Spacer
Walbro 190 lb fuel pump
19 lb Explorer injectors
Speed Density 5.0 HO ECU
New Roller Lifters
New Timing Set
Complete Felpro Gasket Kit

While its apart I'm going to make it pretty and have the timing cover, alt bracket, ps bracket bead blasted. I pulled the py old hood insulation out and will wash, clean, scuff the underside and hit it with a few cans of red Krylon.

Reply #14
Make sure the injectors are the EV1 style ones.

-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!