Skip to main content
Topic: Dospoogeented E-7 upgrade coming soon (with lots of pics) (Read 4241 times) previous topic - next topic

Dospoogeented E-7 upgrade coming soon (with lots of pics)

Reply #15
Yes, EV1 removed from a 96' Explorer with a 5.0

Reply #16
Regarding the p.s. pump bracket. Is it the bracket that actually attaches to the pump itself?

Reply #17
Quote from: V8Demon;284189
You ARE swapping the cam, correct?  You made no mention of it and considering you wish to use the HO ECU......Well they go hand in hand.  Don't forget the injectors as well ;)

As far as the A/C eliminator.......You WILL need the power steering bracket from a Fox body 5.0 Mustang as the eliminator bracket itself bolts directly to the power steering bracket as shown in the link you posted.  The holes on the eliminator will not line up with a stock Cougarbird P/S bracket.  The P/S bracket shown in the diagram is NOT provided in the kit.  The kit is merely the metal flat piece and attaching hardware.

did the LSC have the same bracket? i have one of those kicking around, also, i can get the dorman part number, and maybe a pic of the eliminator i used
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

Reply #18
Someone local here has the P.S. bracket that attaches to the pump itself from a Mustang. From using the search function here it's the bracket I need.

Reply #19
I wasn't trying to come off as being an ass. just giving a heads up if not many comments are being posted.

and FWIW, with that kind of mileage I would have bought a good used mustang or explorer motor.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #20
No problem. I considered getting another drop in engine for it but it has been well maintained and doesn't smoke. I did a compression test and didn't get a low number on any of the cylinders. All fell in the 145 to 140 range so I'd say it has some life left in her.

This is my daily ride 60 miles round trip every day. Cheap, fun, and comfortable. I scored most of the items for the swap for less than a few hundred thanks to the huge mustang community here in Atlanta.

My expectations are 190-210 hp to the wheels which has to be more fun than the 125 ish available now (lol). I don't want to get wrapped up in alot of $ for this car. I'm using alot of leftovers from other cars I've had as well. If I get another 5 solid years out of the engine. I'll be happy;)

Reply #21
Quote from: 86Tbuzzard;284210
did the LSC have the same bracket? i have one of those kicking around, also, i can get the dorman part number, and maybe a pic of the eliminator i used

I believe the LSC bracket is the same as the Cougarbird one....there was a thread on that on this site; can't seem to find it...
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #22
I jumped in and tore almost everything down last night. All accessories, brackets, and upper/lower intake. I need to rent a harmonic balancer puller from auto zone tonight and pickup the mustang p.s. bracket on the way home from work.

Tonight I'll unbolt the X-pipe, remove the headers, swap out the camshaft and swap computers because that's all I'll have time for today. I'll get some pics of all the parts going in and install shots.

Reply #23
Quote from: quick50stng;284238

My expectations are 190-210 hp to the wheels which has to be more fun than the 125 ish available now (lol).

With full exhaust work, 190ish may be possible but I think most stock mustangs dyno around 180rwhp. Of course, anything is better than stock SO.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #24
Yes and remember that is with box stock factory tune. Now if you exclusively run 91-93 octane and turn the timing up the numbers get a little better (which will be for track days only). I intend to post track times when its done since i live 25 min from Atlanta Dragway. Won't be any earth shattering times but hope to get some 14.50's using the Convo Pro bigs and littles and E.T. Streets off my Mustang.

Reply #25
I would think the gears should help you get there with your intended mods (including exhaust). The heads are still exhaust restricted though (perhaps you can help that out a little bit with some grinding?) and the intake will do well until, what, 4-4500 rpm's? Little things like adjusting the TV cable for the aod may help slightly also. E7 heads and other stock parts are dirt cheap, no desire from the Mustang crowd so I don't see any problem with the swap. There are always better parts but there is also that huge diminishing value thing - more $ for less power. After all, you're increasing your output 50+%!

I also don't know exactly what can be gained from a tune but the ECU shoots for nearly 11:1 air to fuel on a stock tune (at least on my mass air eec). Leaning this out to 12.5:1 or thereabouts can open up some more power also. This goes against the power to cost ratio though.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #26
The stock HO intake will have to do for now. Eventually I'd like to add an explorer upper/lower or ported lower but will stop at that point. I want to concentrate on aesthetics after these engine changes. Need new or better head lights and would like a nice set of tail lights. Mine have some cracks and the factory paint from the inside of the lens is flaking off. Need a new console armrest and the list goes on. I've actually spotted another 87/88 about 2 miles from my house nosing out from behind a barn. :D

Reply #27
Not much to report. I'll have pics of the tare down and reassembly soon.

Swapped ECM's over last night. Anyone need a spare one (free + ship)

This has to be the nastiest engine I have ever worked on. I'm going to take about 5 cans of carb cleaner and a ser to get as much off as I can. It must have had leaky valve cover gaskets for years.

Reply #28
Quote from: quick50stng;284657

This has to be the nastiest engine I have ever worked on. I'm going to take about 5 cans of carb cleaner and a ser to get as much off as I can. It must have had leaky valve cover gaskets for years.

I took my disassembled block over to one of the U-Wash carwash places and let-er-have-it with the engine wash and high pressure hot water. 

Came out squeaky clean.  Just make sure you blow it out with compressed air and give it a good fogging with WD40 after.

Reply #29
Quote from: quick50stng;284657

how much shipped to 67005? Thanks