Skip to main content
Topic: Dospoogeented E-7 upgrade coming soon (with lots of pics) (Read 4242 times) previous topic - next topic

Dospoogeented E-7 upgrade coming soon (with lots of pics)

Reply #30
Quote from: 88turbo;284675
how much shipped to 67005? Thanks

How's $15 shipped? I have PayPal and can get it out in the am for you. And just to clarify its for an 88 5.0 Thunderbird

Reply #31
I've made some good progress the last 2-3 days working on it here and there. I've been snapping pics as I go and will post them all once done.

Cam swapped, new lifters installed, new timing chain installed, heads on and valves adjusted, installed timing cover, upper intake and fuel rails, should have it ready to fire by Friday. Just ordered # TAY-64658K ignition kit from 50resto.com should be here Thursday.

Lessons learned: When intake bolt torque specks say 15-24 ft/lb. It really means 19 ft/lbs. Ask me how I know. I was on the last torquing sequence at 21 ft/lbs and heard a loud snap!! that almost wanted to make me get sick. The last bolt to be torqued broke off in the head. :mad:I yanked the lower off and headed to the parts store for any easy out and new set of gaskets. It's all good though. It's getting close.

Also learned the SO lower is cast differently in the rear of the intake where the PCV goes. HO lower requires a rubber grommet for the pcv to plug in and SO PCV goes straight into the intake. [COLOR="Red"]THIS INFORMATION IS WRONG THEY ARE THE SAME IT WAS DARK AND THE GROMMET WAS SO OLD IT WAS HARD AS A ROCK. SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION[/COLOR]

Reply #32
Quote from: quick50stng;285206
Also learned the SO lower is cast differently in the rear of the intake where the PCV goes. HO lower requires a rubber grommet for the pcv to plug in and SO PCV goes straight into the intake.

Hmm.  On mine It was identical.  I simply moved the grommet from the SO to the HO (then to the Typhoon but thats a different story).  Does anyone know where I can get one of those new (the grommet) ?  The one have is hard as a rock.

P.S. I never torque to the max torque.  I usually calculate the middle of the range as I figure that the mean value was the target and max and min are just the tolerances.  Eg. I torque my intake bolts to 20 ft/lbs.  Go over the intake bolts in order several times.  I found that as I torqued it down, the middle bolts would always be slightly under.  I keep going through the sequence till all bolts are at 20ft/lbs.  I have had good results doing it this way. 

Also, remember that if you are using an extension, it changes the torque reading.

Reply #33
Late Model Restoration sells the grommet for $8 i just ordered one today. 50resto.com

I was using an extension when torquing and started at 10 , 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19 (lol). I was scared another was going to snap so I repeated the pattern 6x.

Reply #34
I got my PVC grommet at Autozone.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #35
Personally, I use at least grade 8 threaded rod, cut to length, and use it all as studs. Prevents broken off bolts and you get much better clamping. ARP studs or grade 8 studs from a store are nice too though. This also makes alignment issues a thing of the past.

Were you using old bolts? That in itself would cause it not to be able to get to torque spec. 20 years of heating cycles can do some nasty things.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #36
I was using a set of stock bolts I had laying around the shop because they were all clean and ready to go.

Upper/lower intake, fuel rails, and exhaust all back on now. Just have to install the water pump and front dress and will be ready to fire Thursday. :burnout::burnout::burnout:

Reply #37
I always toss the stock bolts, and use ARP intake set.:D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #38
With the extra money I spent on gaskets I could have bought a set of ARP's:punchballs:

Reply #39
Quote from: quick50stng;285363
With the extra money I spent on gaskets I could have bought a set of ARP's:punchballs:

LOL, been there, done that. Had bolts break, both on assembly and disassembly :punchballs:, now I just toss them.:D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #40
I'll do my best to get all the pics up tonight. I'm thrashing trying to get the car done by Thursday/Friday for a 2 hr car cruise on Saturday and want 1/2 day to drive shake down any problems beforehand. I've got some good progress pics + side by side pics of HO upper throttle bore opening vs SO and Throttle bodies, and cam pics. Coming soon.

Reply #41

BEFORE

TEAR DOWN

HO CAM & E-7's installed

Getting closer

Reply #42
HO on left SO on right

Reply #43
Sweeeeeeet !!!!!!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #44
what are the differences on H.O to S.O on the bottom? I would assume the same since they use the same lower intake.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com