Skip to main content
Topic: turbocoupe side exhaust ? (Read 2950 times) previous topic - next topic

turbocoupe side exhaust ?

does anybody know what a turbo coupe would sound like running a
3" magnaflow exhaust(cat and ler) that comes out right before the the driverside rear tire sounds like? just a single exhaust.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #1
I think it will sound like "vrooooom, vroooooooooooooooom, vroom.":poke:
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #2
ive got duals on my 79 XR7,2.5 pipe with custom glasspacks ,i have them coming out right before the back tires on both sides and i love them,,if ur gonna spend the money id go with duals,heres a pic of one side of mine
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1979 Mercury Cougar X R 7
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Reply #3
Quote from: 1979 Cougar XR7;283089
ive got duals on my 79 XR7,2.5 pipe with custom glasspacks ,i have them coming out right before the back tires on both sides and i love them,,if ur gonna spend the money id go with duals,heres a pic of one side of mine

Apples and oranges...a single 3" is just about perfect for a 2.3T.

You'll be hard-pressed to package a cat and ler and get out before the rear wheel.  At least not w/o the tubing making a hard turn to get there.

How will it sound?  Like a tractor, just like all 2.3T's.  It will just be louder to everyone on the driver side of the car.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #4
You could use a ler like my friend is using on his '67 Stang.They are from Flowtech,and the exhaust "in" and "out" are at the front of the ler,like the old T/A Challengers and AAR Cudas.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird;283097
You could use a ler like my friend is using on his '67 Stang.They are from Flowtech,and the exhaust "in" and "out" are at the front of the ler,like the old T/A Challengers and AAR Cudas.

At that point, what's the purpose of a side exhaust (which is usually meant for the shortest, smoothest flow)? 

You'll probabaly have to use a bullet-type ler if you want to package it with a cat and make the turn.  And it won't be quiet, and it will drone under your seat the entire time...

Reply #6
I say,in my own opinion,keep the exhaust out the back.I always thought that,for most cars,side exhaust looks like the cheap way out,incomplete.......for most cars,ours included.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
it wasnt the cheap way out for me,,,u have to have the right kind of car for side exhaust tho, on that body style i would cut my tips off and put turndowns on where the exhaust couldnt be seen
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Reply #8
ok thanks for your help. i didnt put into consideration how loud it would be dumping out right beside me. should i go 3 inch to the ler, then dual 2.5 running out the back?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #9
Single 3inch gives the best flow, duals give the best look, they both sound great. Doesnt really sound like a tractor if you have lers.

If you dont have emissions ditch the cat.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #10
Quote from: bhazard;283128
Single 3inch gives the best flow, duals give the best look, they both sound great. Doesnt really sound like a tractor if you have lers.

If you dont have emissions ditch the cat.

how do you figure that 3" flows better than a 3" dual 2.5" setup?  if you do some simple math you will see that dual 2.5" equals 5" wich would flow much better than a full 3" now I could be wrong but I think the duals are the better choice and is what is on my TC

two words

Reply #11
Quote from: 88turbo;283132
how do you figure that 3" flows better than a 3" dual 2.5" setup?  if you do some simple math you will see that dual 2.5" equals 5" wich would flow much better than a full 3" now I could be wrong but I think the duals are the better choice and is what is on my TC

boundary layer
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
Quote from: 88turbo;283132

You're not making enough power to take full advantage of either.

For most people it comes down to personal choice for looks, ease of install, or cost.  A single 3" or dual 2.5" tails is not going to affect power output for 99% of 2.3T folks.

Reply #13
ive got the easiest fix for all this BUY A V8
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Reply #14
Quote from: 1979 Cougar XR7;283168