Skip to main content
Topic: turbocoupe side exhaust ? (Read 2954 times) previous topic - next topic

turbocoupe side exhaust ?

Reply #15
Quote from: chuck w;283173
*yawn*

lol.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #16
Yawn ???????????
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1979 Mercury Cougar X R 7
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Reply #17
Quote from: 1979 Cougar XR7;283181
Yawn ???????????

"Yawn" = the debate between the 4 cyl. engines and the V-8 engines.It's a pointless conversation.They both have benefits and disadvantages.6 of one,half a dozen of the other.I love my V-8,but,I also have a deep respect for the turbo 4's around here.The Turbo Coupes (and XR-7's) have proven to be great all around performance cars,as do the modded V-8's.A stock 5.0 car,in my own opinion,can't hold a candle to the Turbo Coupes for example.They can REALLY surprise a person who doesn't know any better.The debate will always linger,but there's no point in getting into it here.We all are here for the cars,whether it's a 4,6,or 8.We (Fox Cat and Bird owners) aren't nearly as large a group as the Stang guys,so we have learned to really respect these cars for what they are,and what they can be with very little work....even more with a lot of work and the right parts.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #18
Quote from: vinnietbird;283183
"Yawn" = the debate between the 4 cyl. engines and the V-8 engines.It's a pointless conversation.They both have benefits and disadvantages.6 of one,half a dozen of the other.I love my V-8,but,I also have a deep respect for the turbo 4's around here.The Turbo Coupes (and XR-7's) have proven to be great all around performance cars,as do the modded V-8's.A stock 5.0 car,in my own opinion,can't hold a candle to the Turbo Coupes for example.They can REALLY surprise a person who doesn't know any better.The debate will always linger,but there's no point in getting into it here.We all are here for the cars,whether it's a 4,6,or 8.We (Fox Cat and Bird owners) aren't nearly as large a group as the Stang guys,so we have learned to really respect these cars for what they are,and what they can be with very little work....even more with a lot of work and the right parts.

Very well said;)
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #19
Thanks.LOL.

Reply #20
i agree there are some stout 4 cyl's out there especally on this site,,,but i dont have a stock 302,, i havent got anything against a 4cyl ,,but everyone has to admit to acheive a nice rumble and great sound from  ur car uve gotta have a v8
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Reply #21
X2 i love the rumble,... and when you hit the gas in neutral, the whole car shakes a bit,..... or a lot with a lot of horse...... oh yeah.......id love to ride in a turbo coupe tho......
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #22
No doubt about it,nothing is like a nice V-8 rumble,BUT,how many V-8's with 130 horsepower sound great,but can't hardly pull the car's weight.Sound is good,but that doesn't make the car move.Most posers rely on noise and stick on stuff for the look and sound,and hope that no-one calls their bluff.I've always thought a car should back up what it's selling (so to speak).

Now,let's drop this subject and move on to better topics.

Reply #23
lets just note that i ve got alot more than 130 hp
but i agree lets drop it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS

Reply #24
Back to ler talk for the Turbo Coupe...............................

Reply #25
This thread is making me facepalm, albeit only slightly....

Quote from: 88turbo;283132
how do you figure that 3" flows better than a 3" dual 2.5" setup?  if you do some simple math you will see that dual 2.5" equals 5" which would flow much better than a full 3" now I could be wrong but I think the duals are the better choice and is what is on my TC

To get theoretical flow capability one would take the area of the casing(s) that the fluid will flow through.

Keep in mind that most tubing is measured in O.D specs and that the real way to measure the area would be to find the inner diameter.  To keep it easy, we'll use O.D as some tubing has different gauge thickness.....

One 2.5" circle has an area of 4.91 square inches

That means 2 have an area of 9.82 square inches.
One 3" circle would have an area of 7.06 square inches.

More cross sectional area means more flow potential, but sometimes less is better.  To put it simply you want the least restriction while in turn keeping the exhaust gas velocity as high as possible.  Too big of a diameter pipe(s) will slow exhaust velocity and have a negative effect on scavenging resulting in less power AND efficiency.  Remember that there are many other factors concerning flow as well exhaust port shape/size, header diameter, collector size/shape/length, exhaust piping diameter/length, the ler type/size/.......the list goes on.

Anyway.....................take it from someone who had side exhaust and switched to dumps.  The side exhaust will annoy you after a while.  Ground clearance will become an issue as well.  I went with dumps simply because I didn't want tails -- I wanted a clean look out back.

An interesting exit for a 3" would be an oval tip dead smack out the exact middle out back though.  It would certainly catch a few eyes.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #26
You also have to figure that a Y pipe will cause a restriction. And not to mention another tailpipe, youll have twice as many bends back there to restrict.

The simpler way will flow better. One big pipe, no splits, less bends. Saying dual 2.5 will flow better than single 3" is like say dual 2" will flow better cause 2+2=4 and 4>3. We all know just looking at a 2" pipe thats not the case.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #27
We all know just looking at a 2" pipe thats not the case.

This man knows his cocoa puffs  ;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #28
Actually I buy the bagged cereal instead. Cheaper and the bags seal up so they last a lot longer. I think theyre called Cocoa Roos or something.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #29
naw man i think there called chaco puffs lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
White w/ Maroon Vynl Top
Maroon Interior
302 BIG HP IN PROGRESS