Skip to main content
Topic: Biggest reliability issues with T-bird? (Read 2488 times) previous topic - next topic

Biggest reliability issues with T-bird?

I'm picking up a 88 T-bird sport coupe in 5 of 10 condition tomorrow with 230,000 miles and still running strong.

5.0 is sludgy and leaking due to v/c leak, cracked windshield, tail lights are not working (where would I look to repair this, fuse? faulty wiring?
Drivers window is off the track and comes up all crooked (whats the cause behind this?)

My plans are to pressure wash the hell out of the car, outside, engine bay and undercarriage, New battery and all new tune up

Then HO conversion and nice exhaust system for my daily 60 mile round trip commute.

Electrically, what are the biggest gremlins in these cars and what are the fixes?

Reply #1
window's an easy fix. prolly just the epoxy's loose in the "U" that holds the glass.
if both taillights aren't working, more than likely a fuse. no biggie. the ignition switch module thing would be well worth replacing now, as they have issues. cheap fix.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #2
The heater cores usually go to  as well.I'd swap it with a Ford part while the weather is nice or you'll end up needing to do it in the dead of winter.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Only major issues I've ever had with these cars are broken front springs and the POS 3.8L engine, but you don't have to worry about that.
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Reply #4
Check the wiring at the BOO (brake on/off) switch, which is located about halfway up the brake pedal.
Those wires flex right at the connector and separate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
think mustang, minus about 75hp, and then make it better.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
Quote from: cougarcragar;265123
Check the wiring at the BOO (brake on/off) switch, which is located about halfway up the brake pedal.
Those wires flex right at the connector and separate.

Yep I've had that happen, twice. I finally just replaced the wires. It was a PITA job too as it's a tight space to be in with a soldering iron :hick:

The only thing I've had go wrong with my 88 has been the heater core going out. The rest of the stuff, even the engine, was just an upgrade. The old 5.0 SO would still be ticking away right now if I didn't want more power :burnout:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
wiring diagrams located in Electrical tech up to in a sticky called 87EVTM

In honest opinion,
my bigges hassel with these cars are brakes up front.  A shakey steering column while braking tells you either

a caliper hose is eaten up inside not allowing fluid to bleed back when you get off the brake,,keeping presure on the inner pad.
this creates heat, cooks wheel bearing greese, warps rotors and causes calipers to stick.

Heater core is pretty much a given although there is an easy way out.

Reply #8
Cougar Cragar you were correct. The connection at the BOO switch was broken. Fixed! Thank you

Reply #9
Quote from: quick50stng;265048
My plans are to pressure wash the hell out of the car, outside, engine bay and undercarriage, New battery and all new tune up

Beware.  I've always been warned about PW under the hood.  Been told it could RUIN some electronics etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #10
It can be done just have to cover the distributor and top electronics up with plasticand concentrate the water on the bay area and block and try avoiding the top side.

Reply #11
Quote from: ~AC;265447
Beware.  I've always been warned about PW under the hood.  Been told it could RUIN some electronics etc.

Expect the body color to come off too. After power washing around the lower engine bay, all I had left was "gray". Then it got sanded and repainted but that shouldn't be any problem.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #12
Quote from: thunderjet302;265351
Yep I've had that happen, twice. I finally just replaced the wires. It was a PITA job too as it's a tight space to be in with a soldering iron :hick:

The only thing I've had go wrong with my 88 has been the heater core going out. The rest of the stuff, even the engine, was just an upgrade. The old 5.0 SO would still be ticking away right now if I didn't want more power :burnout:

Man I know exactly what you're sayin. I replaced the whole switch and wires - what a PITA X2. No room at all. :mad:
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #13
Well im about to hop on that wagon. I got the HO cam today along with a set of GT40 heads

Reply #14
Will an HO cam work with SO firing order?  If I'm reading my chilton's correctly, they're different orders.