Skip to main content
Topic: Havi's build thread of agonizing infinity (Read 11074 times) previous topic - next topic

Havi's build thread of agonizing infinity

Reply #60
Well, the slip-tube headers are a no go.  Designed for a 351C into a Fox, they just aren't made to clear when moved outboard an inch or so.  Doesn't help that the bellhousing/starter/flexplate are a bigger diameter neither.  On the other hand, I think I've got a plan for the motor mounts.

stock cast '78 4x4 F150 manifolds: right side, nay.  left side, maybe with a MM steering shaft. $$$
1987 TC

Reply #61
Well, I think I got one figured out. Just need to fasten everything down, and maybe even tack some welds between the mount and plate.
1987 TC

Reply #62
whats the difference from the 351c and the 351w
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #63
The "W" is very similar to the 302/5.0  the "C" is totally different
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #64
This is neither engine.  Hopefully it ends up like this:
1987 TC

Reply #65
Quote from: HAVI;325861
This is neither engine.

an "M"?
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #66
hummm so very little modding to the actual car becides shimming the k member.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #67
It oughta have plenty of grunt....but i'm sure you know they don't like to rev too high though.

Reminds me of a kid that used to work at apex....he was a strictly chevy kinda guy, but he caved in, bought a 77 f-150, had the 351m/400......he thought he could run the piss out of it and rev it to hell and gone like you can a SBC....when he stuck 2 rods through pan he decided then and there that all Ford engines were junk.

Not that those engines are bad, they're just not meant to rev like that unless built for it.

Anyway, more pics as progress elapses! :bowdown::D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #68
Started on the driver side mount.  Funny that a 60's right side Mustang mount fits so dang close, only off 90 degrees (and lower half backwards), and I don't have a driver side to try.  I have to fight the offset of the car type mounts (steering clearance) vs. the side interchangeable truck mounts, so things will be a little wonky on this side.
1987 TC

Reply #69
Chuck's lower mount half was the hot ticket.  His holes lined up with the K-member, and a 70's truck 302 mount capture bolt at the same time.  All I needed was a 1/4" block plate, and an extra set of holes for the 302 mount to bolt to the plate.
1987 TC

Reply #70
Scott, lookin' good! Before you go through all the work of getting that motor in there, did you know a 302 would bolt right in? lol.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #71
What's a 302?  Well I got the engine and trans in, as the pics show.  The P-side truck mount is broken, so I'll have to replace that, and see if the rubber pulls....which tells me the engine is too high for the lower mount to fit.  I can wallow the K-member hole a little more, I suppose.  Opinions welcome on that.
1987 TC

Reply #72
why don't you just remake the area where the motor mounts bolt on the k member to match the motor?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #73
I'm trying to make it reversible in case someone, or I, want to put the 4 cyl or Windsor back in.  Everything else lines up, and since the K-member hole is slotted already, I would just slot it some more.  Or is that what you were referring to?

EDIT: I should mention the rubber pulled apart when I was lifting the engine with the mount still bolted in, not from just sitting there, but the lower mount part does have to rotate clockwise a bit to fit the bolt.
1987 TC

Reply #74
Oh, that's the long hole for the mounts.. I would just improve that one if that's all it needs. if it gets to close to an edge. I would make a reinforcing plate to strengthen anything you removed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook