Skip to main content
Topic: Havi's build thread of agonizing infinity (Read 10721 times) previous topic - next topic

Havi's build thread of agonizing infinity

Hi my name is Scott, and I am a Tbirdaholic.  Here is my build thread estimated to take about 4 or 5 years.  I don't want to know how much it costs.  I mentioned I would start this thread when I had my flathead tore apart for my other project, a 1948 F1 pickup.  Well today, 3-16-09, I found my engine is toast.  So on we go. :)  Up to this point I have been doing research and gathering some parts.  The goal is to create a street car that can embarrass ricers at will.  I have no idea how fast this car will go with the "boat anchor" I am using.  I am a truck guy not a car guy, so my claim is "Torque First".  I will add to this thread when I can, but it should be understood with today's economy, it will be slow.  Wish me luck, eh. :o
1987 TC

Reply #1
Good luck.Are you SURE you don't want to install a built 5.0?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
First pic is the car when Mike, AKA FLSTCI71, told me had a car for sale.  I told him to do whatever he wanted with it first, and I would take the shell afterward.  The second pic is from the day he delivered it.
1987 TC

Reply #3
Quote from: vinnietbird;262029
Good luck.Are you SURE you don't want to install a built 5.0?
I'm working towards a retro muscle car theme.  Besides, I like to think outside the box and be different.
I forgot to mention, it is a 1987 Turbo Coupe with sunroof, and nothing else, lol.
1987 TC

Reply #4
LOL, Scott but remember pics are needed every so often man. :headbang:

Reply #5
Here's how it sits now.
1987 TC

Reply #6
Scott, Simple start out with slot A going into slot B and etc. j/k :evilgrin:

Reply #7
while you got it all apart, you may want to throw a bunch of paint on the under side and clean up the engine bay. Make sure it won't rust on you after your done.

Straight looking body, and an empty shell is the best place to start. That way you know what shape every part is in when it gets thrown in.

i-4's I really could see being fun, but a stock 5.0 , non-mustang, has more torque. You will be looking at a custom cam if thats what you want to accomplish, if I had to bet.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
I intend to fill all the holes in the engine bay, repair the rust, and make it look clean as possible.  The rest of the car will be treated as well.  I intend to install SFC's, and jack rails, then onto the rotiserrie.  This will get the full treatment, though in comparison, daminc's car has more rust, lol.
1987 TC

Reply #9
Of course it does. I'm sure mine was one of the worst cars for rust on this site. Wish you were closer with that rotisserie though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
If that car is from MN it's in pretty good shape.

What engine are you going to use? A 351C/351M/400 family engine?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #11
Sorry I got side-tracked for a bit.  Weather is sucking again so not much going on, but I got this freed up. :D
1987 TC

Reply #12
Ya know theres an old saying "Real cars have no valve covers.". Whats the flattie going in, I assume the 48?

Reply #13
Quote from: 86XR7project;263259
Ya know theres an old saying "Real cars have no valve covers.". Whats the flattie going in, I assume the 48?

Yes.  I had got it with the truck, but was stuck.  The other engine I got afterward was the first one I took apart and found nasty cracks.  Then I took the heads off this one and saw how clean it was.  Still was stuck, but after I removed the transmission it spun freely, even though the trans was in neutral.  I can breathe a little easier now, lol.  So this will sit in the corner until I get the frame blasted and epoxy primed, then I can start the reassembly (frame is bare waiting)  Once the weather warms up again (10F windchill), I"ll get to mocking up the C4.
1987 TC

Reply #14
Very cool, you don't see a whole lot of people build flatties. My prob with em is they don't put out much power at all before they are known to grenade.