Skip to main content
Topic: Havi's build thread of agonizing infinity (Read 10949 times) previous topic - next topic

Havi's build thread of agonizing infinity

Reply #15
I heard you can get really good power out of them and that they were way overbuilt from theg factory...

I would love to throw something like that in a cougar.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #16
I wouldn't count on much more than 200 HP if you're lucky. I've seen em blow up clutches at 250-300 hp!

Reply #17
Quote from: 86XR7project;263288
I wouldn't count on much more than 200 HP if you're lucky. I've seen em blow up clutches at 250-300 hp!

As it currently sits, it likely won't see much more than 100 hp.  I plan on a 2x2 bbl intake or a single 4 bbl intake, aftermarket heads, and a Pertronix ignition w/12 volt conversion.  Behind it will be a T5 from an S10, and 9" rear w/3.25 gears.  But the cool factor will be high, and the sound is irreplaceable :D  But that's why I'm building the Tbird....for speed.
1987 TC

Reply #18
Here's an article about the faltheads, some are putting out up to 700HP, yikes!!!:bowdown:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #19
you're really gonna do it aren't you?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #20
Steeper gears would make it feel a bit more upity but thats me. I love flatties they sound so unique!

Reply #21
Been working on the honey-do list, and decided to take a day off to do my own work, so:  C4 is mocked up in its place.  Lo and behold, this car has two sets of brackets for the crossmember. The one I have is a double hump from the '87 XR7 5.0/AOD.  It fits the forward brackets, but there's a little slop there.  Secondly, with everything mocked up, I decided to try the headers.  Notice there isn't any room.  So next thing to do is try my stock manifolds, and see if they clear.  Other option is the tubular K-member, but I'm trying not to spend too much before knowing if this will work or not.  My guess is the Fox 351C headers are designed strictly for Mustang K's.
1987 TC

Reply #22
Quote from: 86XR7project;263303
Steeper gears would make it feel a bit more upity but thats me. I love flatties they sound so unique!

FWIW, I nixed the T5 idea for the '48.  The more I thought about it, and the harder it seems to find the right T5 up here in 4x4 land, I think I'd rather be a double clutchin' fool.
1987 TC

Reply #23
Located a Mustang K from an '85 GT for free.  Problem is it's still in the car in a field.  So I will try to get it sometime this Summer.  I say that because it hasn't been warm yet this year. :( current windchill is 23F and raining.  WTF??

So I put the Tbird back on its skates and rolled it to the back wall....waiting. :(
1987 TC

Reply #24
Maybe i missed something....... thats not a 302 in ur bird is it??????im thinking 351???? Not too good at judging motors all torn apart....yet.....and is that the block ur using????.... its obviously being bored......0.30???
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #25
Quote from: HAVI;273616
Lo and behold, this car has two sets of brackets for the crossmember.

All '87-'88 TC have the double crossmember mount arrangement... The rearward one is for the goofy member a long ass A4LD requires...

Reply #26
Are there car rotisseries one can rent?
Ride the Thunder & Feel the Power

Reply #27
Quote from: Thor Power;276554
Are there car rotisseries one can rent?

Not sure.  Call yer local rental outfit and see if they can get one.

Mine's under a friends firebird right now.  The body guy he has doing the work is taking alot longer than hoped for.  Perhaps I should build another. :rolleyes: It's all out of 2x4 box tube and 6x1/2 flatbar, with 2x2 tube for bracing.
1987 TC

Reply #28
Quote from: massCougarxr7;276479
Maybe i missed something....... thats not a 302 in ur bird is it??????im thinking 351???? Not too good at judging motors all torn apart....yet.....and is that the block ur using????.... its obviously being bored......0.30???

It's a 351m already bored .030" that's been sitting outside rusting away for years.  A friend of mine used to work at an automotive machine shop, and a patron never payed for it , so he kept it and dropped it off at my house.  It's not the one I'm using.  I'm using a Tim Meyer prepped 434cid that has the same external dimensions.  The difference between these engines and 351C's is the distributor base has a 1" rise in the casting for the 400.  With certain intake and other parts, it can be converted to EFI to net a dospoogeented 15 mpg, yet maintain about 500hp and 500ft lbs over the entire rpm range.  Problem is it costs $$$, yet less than a built 460.  Plus I already have a couple 400's for donors.  But as I mentioned before, I will not compromise on this car and will build it the way I envisioned it, even though it may take a while thanks to my current job status.  The 351W I had as an alternate for this car is going into my '62 fairlane that I pushed into the garage the other day.  I'm currently drilling out the spotwelds right now, but here's a pic from June 3rd.  The Frame is my F1 waiting for sandblasting.
1987 TC

Reply #29
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;276529
All '87-'88 TC have the double crossmember mount arrangement... The rearward one is for the goofy member a long ass A4LD requires...
Thanks!  makes sense.  I set the double hump I have from the 302 Xr7 up in there, and it seemed close, but looking at the rearward ones, I was simply confounded, lol.
1987 TC