Skip to main content
Topic: Looks like the days are numbered for my gray bird... (Read 3357 times) previous topic - next topic

Looks like the days are numbered for my gray bird...

Well many of you knew that I had a severe rot problem with this car, but I guess I didn't even know how bad it was. I repaired it as best I could for a quick fix to get a couple more months out of it... quick being about 8 hours worth of work. This is the passenger side strut tower.

Here's a video of the flexing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6SUv2HgE4Y

Reply #1
WOW...

How is everything else though? Like the underside. With your skills I bet yo could clip the front end. I dont know what it would end up costing vs replacing it with a solid car though.

Are you going to get another or are you leaving us?

Off topic but how do you like the shaved handles? ever have any issues?
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #2
Holy ! That video is frightening!

It's official. Crystal needs us all to keep our eyes out for a nice '87-'88 replacement. :hick:

Reply #3
Wow...I'm surprised it was still even in one piece.

What are your plans?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Is the other side as bad too?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
All I could find is the other side. Dont know if you need it but here it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-1987-FORD-THUNDERBIRD-LH-INNER-FENDER-NOS_W0QQitemZ320212355114QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item320212355114&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
88 Sport, custom white 140 mph gauge, 11 in brake upgrade, stock mustang headers, bassani x-pipe, cherry bomb vortec lers, HO conversion
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
If this was my car I would just cut the old frame rail out and make a new one. Its not that hard to do. Here is some pics that might help give you an idea.

X
Cut out the old frame rail and make a new one from 4 pieces of flat stock welded together.

X
Weld them together and in place.

X
Make a reinforcement at the back of the frame rail for added strength. Drill holes for the bolts that hold the k member on.

If you need anymore pics. Just ask i have more. This was done on a mustang but its pretty much the same.
88 Sport, custom white 140 mph gauge, 11 in brake upgrade, stock mustang headers, bassani x-pipe, cherry bomb vortec lers, HO conversion
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #7
If you were still in Ohio I would sell you a good solid base for dirt cheap. The body aint perfect but all the important bits are rust free. Of course its 3.8 and the interior is absolutly shot lol.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #8
Wow, that's bad. My parts TC flexed when you put your knee on the bumper, but it wasn't that bad...

Is that the car you repaired a whole lot of rust on a few years ago? How are those repairs holding up? That'd be a big factor in whether you repair it or not...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
Quote from: Rcarder407;256102
If this was my car I would just cut the old frame rail out and make a new one. Its not that hard to do. Here is some pics that might help give you an idea.

X
Cut out the old frame rail and make a new one from 4 pieces of flat stock welded together.

X
Weld them together and in place.

X
Make a reinforcement at the back of the frame rail for added strength. Drill holes for the bolts that hold the k member on.

If you need anymore pics. Just ask i have more. This was done on a mustang but its pretty much the same.

Just wondering why you used flat stock? Seems like a lot of work and welding?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
We were cheap and thats all we had laying around. :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #11
well, if you happen to be in the market for another bird' i know of a pretty darn nice 83 turbo coupe for sale locally. don't know what our plans are but its definitely worth looking at.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #12
I was actually thinking I wanted another 4 eyed bird as a replacement, hit me up with more info on that 83 :)

This is my first car and I'm still driving it 8 years later which is impressive enough as it is. I'd love to fix it but it's been neverending rot issues since I bought it.

I appreciate the how to on the repair, but it's nothing I've never done before, it's simply a matter of practicality. I just patched in what I had to in order to keep it roadworthy. A pretty repair it's not, but it's plenty practical.

I have my ranchero in a mid resto and I also have my prefect to build. The turbo coupe will be an easy project too. With all those to work on

Reply #13
i don't know if this helps but i have the strut towers from Kmember i pick up. they cut just past the brake line to about 2 INCH past the strut tower;
 i'm doing a straight-6 to V8 K member swap on my 1982 yellow stangcoupe.
so i don't need the frame/strut tower parts. here photos.as you see rust free.

remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

more of inside

Reply #14

let me know if there needed. there out of a 1986 mustang.
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!