Skip to main content

Poll

Which should I get?

Total Members Voted: 27

Topic: E7's rock AOD's SUCK (Read 5268 times) previous topic - next topic

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #30
Vinnie you can type however you choose, just remember right or wrong, people judge by what they can see.

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #31
Back on topic.....Haystack.....have you made any decisions yet about what you're going to do? Repairs or different car?Wuuzzup?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #32
Tom, quit trolling Vinnie about his typing. He gets it, he got it a long time ago. :rollin:

Back on topic, E7s and AODs both suck. :flame:
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #33
I'm going to look at the tbird today, I had to go to the hospital with my wife yesterday. She's about ready to pop. I really leaning towards the white bird right now. I just need to get a car going. I can fix the power steering in it in a day or two, and drive it on a temp tag for two weeks. If everything else is good on it, I'll just pull the motor out of my current bird and wait till a good weekend to put it in this one.

And Vinnie, I grew up around computers a typing, but I'm horrible speller and around punctuation. I take a little bit of time to proof read all my posts, but I don't catch all of it. As long as I can read your messages and its not all in caps, I don't care..
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #34
Quote from: 88 Blackbird 5.0;243162
You and Tom hit the nail on the head Zonda.  Tweak them the right way and AOD's rock!!!  I can't wait to see how my ride responds to a Dirty Dog converter and a Silverfox valve body. 

I think there's some good advice in this thread.  I think you ought to save up some money and fix up the car you already have.  It's more fun doing it that way.

I also noticed that someone's back to not putting spaces after their punctuation marks.  I'm ducking in antition of the hail of bullets.  :rollin:

You must be a member on FvC if you know about silverfox, and dirty dog converters!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #35
Your wife's about ready to pop? Is this your first child?It's awesome.Good luck with the potential new car.Is the one your driving good for parts to sell and get a little money back before it's crushed.or whatever else?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #36
The body is in good shape, but try selling a car for money with a bad interior and no engine with a bad tranny...

First kid. Monday is our one year anniversary. Shes got a doctor's appointment Monday and they'll decided weather or not to induce her or not. Her due date they thought was Saturday, but now there thinking that it was the 10th. Anyways, in a week I'm gonna be a dad.

I looked at the car, its in pretty good shape. Alot of power options, including an antenna that dosen't work. Its the 5.0, has a slight miss and idle needs to be adjusted. Dead battery and power window on the passenger side is off the track. It has a bad power steering line that Ill have to fix to pass safety. Good exhaust and tires though, which greatly offsets the cost vs the other car.

I put $100 down on it, and Ill get him the other $300. Best part, the engine seems to run good, might need spark plugs. The guy wouldn't let me floor it cause it has no tags and he didn't want to get it towed. But the tranny I got to 3rd gear and it seemed to shift fine. Still had the stock plastic parts on the TV thing, and had alot of plastic covers in the engine compartment that I've never seen before.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #37
I can't wait to se pics,especially under the hood.I wonder what the "covers" are.I have a coil cover in mine,and a couple of spares in the garage.The miss in the engine could be a few different things.I'm sure you'll figure that out.Take your time and don't get into a hurry swapping everything if it's already running good.You have a kid you'll be dealing with soon.LOL.

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #38
Everyone's definition of 'suck' is different. It's all subjective.

Are the E7's better than the E6's? No question about that. E6's truly suck.
Are aftermarket heads better than E7's? Of course. E7's suck compared to them.

Say what you want about E7's but they are tough, cheap and readily available. That is value and bang for the buck that can't be touched, and hence the reason they're so attractive. If aftermarket aluminum 5.0 heads were $500/pair then E7's would be totally insignificant. Until then, they're the kings of budget builds.

As for AOD's...in my experience:
8 cars, 11 AOD's.
And two of those cars had C5's.

Enough said. ;)

Stock for these cars, AOD's are not all that great; good when they work, really bad when they don't. Mustang AOD's are a hair better. SC AOD's are about the best from the factory. They're not getting easy to find, though, or can be expensive when you do find one. Internally a regular AOD can be built to SC specs. But for the price, you could get pretty stout 4R70W guts in an AOD casing. So it does come down to money, again, and in that respect you just have to compare notes very carefully.

I'll still side with Haystack though. E7's rock over stock, and AOD's suck when stock.

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #39
I have ported E-7's on my car.They are way better than the E-6 heads that the engine came with ('87 Mark VII engine).I'd love to have a set of aluminum heads,or even GT40's (but not with my flat top pistons),but,the E-7 heads were literally almost free off of a truck.Can't beat that at all.I can always swap to aluminum when the new engine is built and the funds are more readily available for that stuff.With a daughter in college,it'll wait.

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #40
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;243287
Vinnie you can type however you choose, just remember right or wrong, people judge by what they can see.

It's not like vinnie's posts are hard to read or anything, nor does he say things like "paided."  There's a line between someone who isn't great at typing and grammar, and someone who just sounds like an idiot.  Vinnie doesn't cross that line.

Anyways...onto the subject of E7s and AODs.  I like my E7s.  They were cheap, and way better than the old E6s.  However, my GT40Y aluminums will be even better!  As for AODs, yeah, they suck.  I'd much rather have a solid WC T5.

Oh, and vinnie:  pics of your daughter or BAN!  :flip:

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #41
O.K.,I'll post a picture of my girl.Any smack talk and I'll beat your A$$ if I have to drive all the way up there and hunt you down like an animal.This is our Kacie.......

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #42
 vin
im impressed shes a cute one!
(please dont hurt me, its a compliment, im not a horn dog)
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #43
Luckily she's freakishly smart.7 years of college to be a psychologist.We're proud of her.

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #44
Very pretty daughter you have there, vinnie.  I've also noticed the lack of pics of the Tbird too.  You're slackin on us!  ;)