Skip to main content

Poll

Which should I get?

Total Members Voted: 27

Topic: E7's rock AOD's SUCK (Read 5165 times) previous topic - next topic

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Got the idle and vacspooge lines done, threw in sparkplugs and the car sounds awesome. Threw alittle more tranny fluid and went out for a drive :burnout: .

Spun the tire almost all the way to 40 mph. Now that the cars running right, I decided to go to jiffy lube to get saftey and emissions done, and I have no second gear. I have third, and overdrive but no 2nd...

I didn't notice that it was nuetral revving because I let off at the 2nd gear shift and slowed back down and parked it :hick:.

My father in law has given up on the car and wants it gone this weekend. I have been looking at a couple of cars.

87 XR7 black
Digital dash, turbo coupe interior and all the good stuff. But its in bad shape, needs a steering colum and exhaust and body is in rough shape. Needs exhaust. $300. If I got the car, I would gut the interior, tranny and axle, and throw it in my current car.

White 87 t-bird LX
The other is a 87 thunderbird, 87 5.0. I'm assuming base model. Runs fine and looks good, but has bad power steering and bad track on the passenger window. If I got that one it would have the new motor, and shouldn't need any other major work. The power steering I would swap out from my existing car, or junk yard and get a new rack. The exhaust is supposed to be good, and should only need 2 tires.

Overall its pretty much six's.

The car I have now is in decent shape, but is a light green, non-factory color. It needs a new hood and possible front clip, and I'll never find one the right color. I would like the body more of the bird, but the spiffy parts of the XR7 would be more fun...

Now back to work after all 3 hours I've had off today...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #1
I've got an 87 turbo coupe for sale. You did say you like the looks of the birds! :)

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #2
mass is alittle bit of a walk for me. If you were down the street I'd look...
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #3
Just find another AOD. They came in so many cars. If you where closer I know a guy that has some SC AODs. that would be a good swap.

I say Cougar.
1986 Cougar LS

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #4
AOD's are hard to find, knowing they work at a junk yard, I'm looking at $400+ for a tested good one, with a 30 day warrenty/exchange. Unfortunately, time is a factor...
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #5
mass is alittle bit of a walk for me. If you were down the street I'd look...
yeah but this one is worth it.......plus, if you for some reason you didnt like that one theres a very, very nice 83 turbo coupe worth looking at very close by as well. i wish i could have them both.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #6
I like cougars, but the tbird sounds like its more solid shape. I vote tbird.
Mike

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #7
What do call "rough shape" for that cougar body description?
I'm thinking that it's worse than mine. But everybody has a different opinion about that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #8
Sounds like the car you have is as good as the ones you're looking at...

As far as the title of this thread, you have it backwards...

AOD's Rock, E7s SUCK... At least if you ever rode in my car that's what you'd think...

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #9
Wow 400 for an aod? i can grab one up here for 125 bucks....with a 30 day warranty..... cougar all the way, but work wise......t-bird, sounds like it in better shape..
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #10
Quote from: Haystack;242824
AOD's are hard to find, knowing they work at a junk yard, I'm looking at $400+ for a tested good one, with a 30 day warrenty/exchange. Unfortunately, time is a factor...

come to ri
ill sell you a AOD for as much as you can give me
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #11
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;242869
Sounds like the car you have is as good as the ones you're looking at...

As far as the title of this thread, you have it backwards...

AOD's Rock, E7s SUCK... At least if you ever rode in my car that's what you'd think...

I looooooove my AOD. Between the shift kit itself and going ahead me maaaaaybe boring one or two of the holes just a tiny bit bigger than I was told *cough*OD->3rd*cough*:D  the thing is so responsive you'd never know it was 21 years old....
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #12
AOD's Rock, E7s SUCK...

Yup.

You have a project car already from what it sounds like.  It also sounds like you want something in better shape than what you currently have.

Save some money and be patient until something better comes along.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #13
I had AOD issues some time back (before the 5 speed swap).I pulled the valve body,and one at a time,I p[ulled each valve out,super cleaned,and re-installed until I did them all,re-installed the valve body,and the tranny worked like new.I found that a little crud can mess one up.I don't know if it's your problem,but it worked for me.You have to do that work in sanitary conditions.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

E7's rock AOD's SUCK

Reply #14
Quote from: V8Demon;243151
Yup.

You have a project car already from what it sounds like.  It also sounds like you want something in better shape than what you currently have.

Save some money and be patient until something better comes along.

I agree. Patience is the key factor. I've been working on mine for two years. When you get in a hurry, you end up with more of the same, problems, throwing money at a temporary fix. When, if you had waited, you could've had a nice ride that works well.I'd like to have had my car done a long time ago,but I really watch what I spend, and build one piece at a time, trying to do the most important work first.That's why I'm FINALLY getting ready for paint. I kept getting postponed due to upgrading the mechanicals of the car (engine,tranny,suspension). If you look hard, you can find a tranny cheaper than another car.Patience....Patience....Patience. Good luck with whatever direction you go with it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..