Skip to main content
Topic: So you can't drive 55? You might soon have to... (Read 4896 times) previous topic - next topic

So you can't drive 55? You might soon have to...

Reply #15
I don't haul ass too much. Every once in a while ya gotta open it up to around 70 where you know there aren't any cops. But i'm 22 and drive like i'm 72 lol(speed wise). Sometimes the supercharger wants some fun!!!
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

Reply #16
Did anybody even read where a part of any new legislation would include a study to see what speed cars are most efficient at?

Everyone wants to save money on fuel until somebody tells them they have to...

You mean this?

Sen. John Warner, R-Virginia, asked Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman to look into what speed limit would provide optimum gasoline efficiency given current technology. He said he wants to know if the administration might support efforts in Congress to require a lower speed limit.

There's really not a lot of info in that statement to be honest.  Seems as if he'll push for it regardless, but will use the data to support his idea IF it does......I'm confident there would be no mention if in fact they discovered that the average vehicle made from the year 2000 to now operated at the highest MPG @ 65.
Again the issue isn't the limit IMHO, it's the horrific disregard.....Not the 5 MPH over but the 20....25.....30 over I encounter on a routine basis.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #17
90% or cars reach there best mpg just over when overdrive kicks in. For a tbird or cougar, I'd bet on about 40 mph if there was a way to hold it constantly without stopping and starting.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #18
I'd bet on about 40 mph if there was a way to hold it constantly without stopping and starting.

For a stockish type car, if your OD comes on @ 40 it's time to adjust your TV cable/rod just a hair and yes there is a way to hold it.....It's called cruise control.  Every AOD car I've ever driven/rode in has slipped out of OD at a lower speed than it went in.  I.E  if you go into OD @ 45 with minimal throttle and coast it'll shift back to 3rd at 40 or so.

If yours aint doin that I'd say again check all adjustments.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #19
If you lower the speed limit nationally you also slow down every 18 Wheeler on the road. Products will get to their destinations much slower and this will raise the cost of everything because of supply and demand.

Not a good idea.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #20
Ohio already makes 18 wheelers drive 55mph max.  We have two speed limit signs beside each other on our highways.  One for cars and one for trucks.
One 88

Reply #21
Quote from: CougarSE;226045
Ohio already makes 18 wheelers drive 55mph max.  We have two speed limit signs beside each other on our highways.  One for cars and one for trucks.

A Canadian trucker's association is pushing for the same thing. Their logic is that truckers speed because other truckers speed - in other words if you want to be competitive you have to do what everyone else is doing. If everyone was driving slower there'd be no competition and the trucking industry would save a lot of fuel.

Carl: I'd like to see your data supporting your statement, because it seems to me that everything's gotten more expensive since the double nickel was repealed. Whether it's related or not is certainly a stretch, but one thing is certain: Things didn't get cheaper. On a cross-country trip a 5MPH speed difference (say, from 70 to 60) might add up to a few hours. The fuel saved would more than make up for the time.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #22
Quote from: oldraven;225887
This won't work for anyone.... except for the police. I see this as a new cash cow, and that's it. People drive the speed they're going to drive. Lowering the speed limit just allows the authorities to ticket twice as many people. In the name of oil consumption my beautiful hairy ass.

X2:rollin:
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #23
Total BS. Effin government AGAIN telling us how were gonna spend our money. HEY when it hurts me enough in the wallet I'll ease off for now I'll burn as much gas as I  please. In the 55 zone on the major north-southbound highway here everyone does about  70, in the 65 zone most do 75 maybe even 80 as you get a little further north. I get so  bored going the posted speed, this car loves goin fast. And on long trips it does make a difference!

Friggin puppiess. Piss off. Ill take the O2 sensors out and make her run really rich. Ooops you just got owned in the face.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #24
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;226049
A Canadian trucker's association is pushing for the same thing. Their logic is that truckers speed because other truckers speed - in other words if you want to be competitive you have to do what everyone else is doing. If everyone was driving slower there'd be no competition and the trucking industry would save a lot of fuel.

Carl: I'd like to see your data supporting your statement, because it seems to me that everything's gotten more expensive since the double nickel was repealed. Whether it's related or not is certainly a stretch, but one thing is certain: Things didn't get cheaper. On a cross-country trip a 5MPH speed difference (say, from 70 to 60) might add up to a few hours. The fuel saved would more than make up for the time.

I don't have data supporting my statement it was just a thought. I see your point about the fuel savings but I still don't think it's a good idea.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #25
If you go to Dallas Texas you gotta be doing 10 or 20 over at least or you might not make it to the next exit. I wish people would not fill up a sonic parking lot and waste gas at idle and in the drive-thru i go to work mad everyday.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #26
...gumball...

Reply #27
As for the truckers, their pockets will hurt more than it will help.

At my shop, we work on a car hauler company's fleet, and all of their drivers want us to turn up the trucks. They bitch about running 61-62 mph, and they want to run 65-66. When you have to try to run 2 loads between MD and NJ in one day, that few MPH really does make a difference. They get paid by the load, so the more loads they can squeeze in, the more they get paid. On the fuel economy side, they don't pay for their fuel.

It's two fold. Prices may go down because of less fuel burnt, but then like Carl said, there is the possibility of the prices going up because the shipping company may charge more because of time.

I do find it very funny. We bitch and complain about gas prices, and blame it on the government. The government finds a way to help us, as a country, conserve fuel. If we can conserve fuel, the price will go down. Now we have people telling the government to F-off because "they're trying to control us and our money".

People aren't happy unless they're bitching.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #28
Quote from: CougarSE;226045

Which is the stupidest fornicatekin' law I ever did see...

Two months later, I still get pissed thinking about driving I-70 across OH... You're crusing in the fast lane, making 70 or so and a 18 wheeler swings out in front of you going 61mph, passing 14 other trucks going 60.5mph... Three God ed miles for him to get around the other trucks... No sooner I clear those and a mile up the road another does the same... Well sir I jumped into the right lane and gagged it... Can tell you this, a '07 Grand Marquis will break a 100 mph in the length it took to pass that son of a bitch...

If I had to endure that shiznit on a daily basis, I'd kill someone...

Reply #29
Quote from: Tbird232ci;226652
I do find it very funny. We bitch and complain about gas prices, and blame it on the government. The government finds a way to help us, as a country, conserve fuel. If we can conserve fuel, the price will go down. Now we have people telling the government to F-off because "they're trying to control us and our money".

People aren't happy unless they're bitching.

My point exactly. Everyone wants to save energy as long as it's someone else doing the saving. You should drive at the speed limit to save fuel so it'll become cheap so I can drive at warp 90 in my SUV. Just don't get in front of me.

I've said it a hundred times - government is not going to help us out of this one (mainly because they wouldn't dare do the the necessary things, such as forcing people to conserve). We're on our own. It's up to every individual in every civilized country on Earth to cut down on his/her own consumption.

I'm no environmental nut job, nor am I a "peak oil" alarmist. I do everything I can to conserve energy for one reason and one reason only: To save money. I'm a cheap motherfvcker. Every cent I don't spend on energy is a cent I don't spend on energy. The fact that I'm keeping my money out of the hands of hostile countries/governments is only icing on the cake. Environmental benefits, while good, do not even register on my radar (living in Canada I'd actually welcome a little global warming. Really. I could handle a climate like the one Tom lives in). It's all about cheap. $400 45-mpg Saturn daily driver held together by posicle sticks, band-aids and the grace of God. Wood heat (I cut my own wood on the cottage lot this year, so heat will essentially be free, and even just built a trailer to haul it behind the Saturn with so I don't have to feed the fuel-pig F-150, which has accrued about 200 miles over the past two years). CFL bulbs in every socket in the house. Desktop computer set to hibernate after 30 minutes of non-use. The list goes on.

I'm doing what I can to save money, not to save the planet.

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;226655
Which is the stupidest fornicatekin' law I ever did see...

Two months later, I still get pissed thinking about driving I-70 across OH... You're crusing in the fast lane, making 70 or so and a 18 wheeler swings out in front of you going 61mph, passing 14 other trucks going 60.5mph... Three God ed miles for him to get around the other trucks... No sooner I clear those and a mile up the road another does the same... Well sir I jumped into the right lane and gagged it... Can tell you this, a '07 Grand Marquis will break a 100 mph in the length it took to pass that son of a bitch...

If I had to endure that shiznit on a daily basis, I'd kill someone...
That's the biggest road block the Canadian truckers asociation that wants speed limiters on trucks faces. Split speed limits are stupid and unsafe. Cars traveling at 75 dodging trucks traveling 60 are an accident waiting to happen.

I'm still not buying the "slower trucks make things more expesnive" argument. Generally, slower delivery costs less, and it'd be an interesting argument a shipping company would put forth to justify charging more for slower service. A simple trip to the post office or any UPS or FedEx depot will show you that you pay more for faster delivery, not slower.

One thing I'm amazed hasn't happened yet is shipping companies selling space on their trucks to advertising. Some companies already do it (we've all seen the "BIG MAC" trailers, and Tim Hortons trailers will be familiar to Canadians), and it's common on city buses and taxi cabs. Truckers should think of their big, slab-sided trailers as mobile billboards seen by thousands daily, and they should market them as such. National companies would benefit from long-haul trailers (Imagine if GM could advertise the new Malibu on a bunch of trailers roaming all over North America, instead of relying on ads in magazines that not everyone reads) and local companies would benefit on short-haul trailers (Maritime-Ontario trucking, for example, could sell space to concerns in Ontario, Quebec, the Maritimes, and northern New England). It might not pay for the fuel, but it'd help...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣