Skip to main content
Topic: So you can't drive 55? You might soon have to... (Read 4897 times) previous topic - next topic

So you can't drive 55? You might soon have to...

There appears to be a movement about to reinstate the national speed limit in the name of oil conservation:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/03/warner.speed.limit.ap/index.html

Warner cited studies that showed the 55 mph speed limit saved 167,000 barrels of oil a day, or 2 percent of the country's highway fuel consumption, while avoiding up to 4,000 traffic deaths a year.

"Given the significant increase in the number of vehicles on America's highway system from 1974 to 2008, one could assume that the amount of fuel that could be conserved today is far greater," Warner wrote Bodman.

Ya know what? I actually think it's a good idea. 55 is probably too low, but 60 or 65 would be just fine. I think this every time I'm tottering along in the slow lane at 70MPH (our speed limit on major highways is 110 km/hr, or ~70 MPH) and am being constantly being passed by soccer moms in their Yukons sailing along at warp 90 while yakking away on the cell phone...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1
People will still speed.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #3
:iagree:

Speed limit in the Chicago metro area on interstates is 55 mph. If you aren't doing at least 70 mph you will get blown off the road....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
This won't work for anyone.... except for the police. I see this as a new cash cow, and that's it. People drive the speed they're going to drive. Lowering the speed limit just allows the authorities to ticket twice as many people. In the name of oil consumption my beautiful hairy ass.

Reply #5
when i was 17-18yo the increased limit was a big deal!

now i dont get my kicks goin fast on public roads(as often :evilgrin: ) so i could care less what they do with the limit...
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #6
Considering that most new cars with many more forward gears today compared to when the "double-nickel" law first came about this makes no sense.  I know my Mustang actually gets better mileage @ 65 than @ 55.  I've computed it--by hand-- more than once.

Lower speeds on roads where it is needed is one thing.  This is stupid.  The feds will make it look tempting to state and local governments by offering grant money for adjusting the limits to 55....just like in the past. 

I think this every time I'm tottering along in the slow lane at 70MPH (our speed limit on major highways is 110 km/hr, or ~70 MPH) and am being constantly being passed by soccer moms in their Yukons sailing along at warp 90 while yakking away on the cell phone

Therein lies the problem.  Some people will do things so blatantly and horrendously past the line that is drawn that it mucks up everything for everyone.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #7
Too bad people will still do 75-85mph constantly.  On the highway I always take to school, it turns from 65 to 55.  I'm one of only maybe 5% of drivers that actually changes my speed accordingly.  I'll be doin ~63 in the 55 and constantly be getting my doors blown off.  Oh well, when I pass a cop, I don't have to freak out and slam on my brakes.  I just keep cruisin.

Reply #8
Quote from: V8Demon;225894
Considering that most new cars with many more forward gears today compared to when the "double-nickel" law first came about this makes no sense.  I know my Mustang actually gets better mileage @ 65 than @ 55.  I've computed it--by hand-- more than once.

YES! I've read an article recently where some consultant firm (yeah, this is sounding pretty vague, I know) tried to find the the optimal driving speed for fuel economy. They said on most European cars on most European roads, 110kph is an ideal cruising speed, to balance traffic needs and fuel economy.

*edit*
Or maybe it was Top Gear. I don't know. :p

Reply #9
it better stay as high as 65 around here... I'd hate to get a speeding ticket in one  of my big ass bucket trucks...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
im glad v8demon said it,,,,

now i can sit back and eat popcorn.:D

I agree,, 55 uses more gas even in the newer cars.

Reply #11
Did anybody even read where a part of any new legislation would include a study to see what speed cars are most efficient at?

Everyone wants to save money on fuel until somebody tells them they have to...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #12
Quote from: oldraven;225887
This won't work for anyone.... except for the police. I see this as a new cash cow, and that's it. People drive the speed they're going to drive. Lowering the speed limit just allows the authorities to ticket twice as many people. In the name of oil consumption my beautiful hairy ass.

Yes because thats all we have to do on a daily basis.:punchballs: Yes, I'm a cop BTW.;)

The people who go 85  with a 70 speed limit.. With do 70 in a 55.

Just what America needs.. 3 billion dollars to change over all the speed limit signs.

Leave shiznit alone!!!

And confirming as others have, at 55, most of my vehicles get worse mpg then at 70-75.
1988 Cougar LS 5.0 (currently parting out):cougarsmily:
1989 Mustang LX Notch 2.3 (Project):ford:

Reply #13
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;225960
Did anybody even read where a part of any new legislation would include a study to see what speed cars are most efficient at?

Everyone wants to save money on fuel until somebody tells them they have to...

i didnt, sorry ,

Reply #14
If someone would enforce the current laws, we'd save a bundle on fuel. There's still an awful lot of big trucks and SUV's that love to bomb down the highway @ 80MPH.

65 is just fine.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.