Skip to main content
Topic: So you can't drive 55? You might soon have to... (Read 5030 times) previous topic - next topic

So you can't drive 55? You might soon have to...

Reply #30
Trucks aren't allowed in the left lane on many roads up in these parts.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #31
Quote from: Cougar5.0;226673
Trucks aren't allowed in the left lane on many roads up in these parts.

True, but that doesn't stop them from doing it......Ever been cut off on an interstate and had to panic brake to ensure not dying?  I've done it more than once on the NJ turnpike when I used to live in Jersey....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #32
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;226669

I'm still not buying the "slower trucks make things more expesnive" argument. Generally, slower delivery costs less, and it'd be an interesting argument a shipping company would put forth to justify charging more for slower service. A simple trip to the post office or any UPS or FedEx depot will show you that you pay more for faster delivery, not slower.

But basically you're comparing surface delivery to air, or in the case of next day, to put the parcel at the front of the line... Takes a little extra processing, you pay more(mostly for the convenience of getting it sooner)...

I doubt it would make a major difference in shipping prices, may take a day longer to get a package from one coast to another...

Reply #33
Quote from: Tbird232ci;226652
I do find it very funny. We bitch and complain about gas prices, and blame it on the government. The government finds a way to help us, as a country, conserve fuel. If we can conserve fuel, the price will go down. Now we have people telling the government to F-off because "they're trying to control us and our money".

ONLY because you uttered this comment after mine...I'd like to mention that I'm only the second half of it. If anyone thinks it's the government's fault that gas is sky-high....well...you are probably sky-high lol. I'm not bitching and complaining. My friend does. He has an internship AND lawns he gets cash for. Hes bringing home over 500 a week and drives an escape getting 24 MPG. He doesnt spend ANY of that other than gas, basically. I make less than half that in a week and drive a barge. Im puttin up with it. What are ya gonna do? Granted I do have a 4 mile commute to my job....buuuut its putting a huge damper on the # of old car shows I bring the '38 to. But I deal with it, and I dont take it out on others because how is it THEIR fault?

What I DO take issue with...is as you say, them trying to force me to conserve.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #35
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;226655
Which is the stupidest fornicatekin' law I ever did see...

Two months later, I still get pissed thinking about driving I-70 across OH... You're crusing in the fast lane, making 70 or so and a 18 wheeler swings out in front of you going 61mph, passing 14 other trucks going 60.5mph... Three God ed miles for him to get around the other trucks... No sooner I clear those and a mile up the road another does the same... Well sir I jumped into the right lane and gagged it... Can tell you this, a '07 Grand Marquis will break a 100 mph in the length it took to pass that son of a bitch...

If I had to endure that shiznit on a daily basis, I'd kill someone...

Your my new hero!!!!!!!! Seriously..
1988 Cougar LS 5.0 (currently parting out):cougarsmily:
1989 Mustang LX Notch 2.3 (Project):ford:

Reply #36
Quote from: BlackCardinal;226649
...gumball...

a most excellent post
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #37
Quote from: t3skidoo;226717
a most excellent post

:D Thanks! I was hoping SOMEBODY would get it!

Reply #38
The first rule of Italian driving:  What's behind me is not important

LOL!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

I think that's ...

Reply #39
Quote from: V8Demon;226746
The first rule of Italian driving:  What's behind me is not important

LOL!

"whatza bee-HINDa me izza NOT imporrrrrtanta!"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #40
I was just saying trucks would get stuff to the destination slower.

Let's use pineapples for example, Somewhere like Maine does not have pineapples naturally so it needs to be trucked from where pineapples are. Or flown then trucked. If trucks go slower, pineapples are still going to be eaten at the rate they were when trucks were going faster but the trucks will be brining them in at a slower rate.

With less pineapples, this will cause demand to increase and so will the price.

Pineapples are not native to most of the country and the same is true with many products. Or there is not enough product being produced in the region so it has to be imported from somewhere else.

That was my thought.

Not bitching, just a thought.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #41
Quote from: t3skidoo;226843
"whatza bee-HINDa me izza NOT imporrrrrtanta!"

One word...Lapchick...I STILL laugh at that guy...

Reply #42
I can identify with him, as I too, am posessed of a certain "zhwar duh veev".

Back to the original topic, the entire concept of the 55 is bogus.  It doesn't save gas. It doesn't save lives. 

But!

It does provide additional income for insurance companies and munilities, and fuels the war between radar gun companies and radar detector companies (who often are supplying both sides).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #43
I was keeping up on this for the most part… but 5 pages, I could have missed some.
Didn’t they repeal the old 55 law on the grounds it turned out to be bogus and DIDENT save fuel or lives as expected? I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t save me squat. I run 80miles round trip to work twice a day and over half of that is at 70 (in the T-Bird). Per the guy that rebuilt my tranny when I bought the car, I shouldn’t run OD except through this area. With the hills around here it just wears the tranny out to fast trying to run 60- and it’s constantly shifting up and down, but at 70 it just stays in OD and cruses.
And I’m sure I get better mileage in OD than I do in drive.

They touch on some of this here…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law

It was also believed that, based on a drop in fatalities the first year the limit was imposed, the 55 mph limit increased highway safety. Other studies were more mixed on this point, and a Cato Institute report showed that the safety record actually worsened in the first few months of the 55 mph speed limit, suggesting that the fatality drop was a short-lived anomaly that regressed to the mean by 1978.[4] After the oil crisis abated, the 55 mph speed limit was retained mainly due to the possible safety aspect. In 1986 The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, published a study claiming that the total fuel savings during the national speed limit was no more than 1% overall.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

This is what I understood to be the case when it all leveled off…
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080703/NEWS06/807030404

The agencies worked together to raise speed limits from 65 to 70 on freeways over the last three years in an effort to promote safer, uniform traffic. They say speed variations are more dangerous than high speeds.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
It was safer to let them MOVE than try to hold them back, ever drive down the highway at 60 and have some grandma “merge” (using that term LOOSELY) into traffic at 40?
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #44
heres what most likely will happen. like it or not. speed limits drop to 55. here in jersey 65 was pushed up rite about when i started driving. now most major highways are back down to 55. we will be "saving" money on fuel as a country but bet you gas prices wont come down any. probably increase. you want to beat gas prices and save money. sorry to say. but time to brush off the dust on your walking shoes and or bike. pluse you get yourself in better shape and it's good for the enviroment. now I know people have to drive to places but if it is in walking distance or bike im adapting this bike/walk thing on my own.  but this is just me thinking out loud
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!