Skip to main content
Topic: Bought a modified '88 Turbo Coupe (Read 9532 times) previous topic - next topic

Bought a modified '88 Turbo Coupe

Reply #75
Quote from: cougar86_89;224635
No one complains about 5 lug swaps...

Cause 4 lug sucks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #76
does that car have the stinger header on it?  cause it looks like stingers IC piping.  I have my car torn apart right now doing the hx35 with a custom header and ported everything.  Also got a boport 1.9 cam in the new head too.  Unfortunately I will be running it off the stock computer and injectors for catjam because my bamafuel(megasquirt) setup still hasnt come.  It would be interesting to compare how much different our cars are in drivability, lol

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

Reply #77
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;224801
Cause 4 lug sucks!

And People can say the same thing about 2.3Ts
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #78
Quote from: cougar86_89;225034

:flip:
:birdsmily:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

Reply #79
Quote from: cougar86_89;225034

Sure can same for the block splitting 5 liters
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #80
Quote from: turbo88;224376
Putting a 5.0L in a turbo coupe is like moving sideways. You just added 200 pounds in the front end of your car and gained no substantial power.

Bull shiznit!!!

A carbed, iron headed 5.0 with cast exhaust and intake manifolds weighs approx 470 lbs(per Ford)... A fully dressed 2.3T in the neighborhood of 380... Bout all you can get rid of on the 2.3 is the exhaust manifold... While we 5.0 guys can run aluminum heads intake and tube headers(and I do)... So in reality there is maybe 50 lbs difference... Plus IF one wants to run a automatic(again I do), a 5.0 is the only way to go(OK I gotta give you a weight advantage with the T-5 now maybe 100lbs)... Yeah you can run a C4 behind the 2.3, but doesn't do anything for a good gear(3.73-4.56)on the highway...

Reply #81
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;225101
Sure can same for the block splitting 5 liters

Im not on either side here. I love my 5.0 but I cant judge a 2.3T cause the only one i drove was on its last leg and an auto. All Im saying is no matter what anyone says it always ends up the same, they do what they want. I want the 2.3 to stay in the car on this one but if RJ does swap it then atleast it will be a good swap and the car will still live on. It isnt like things can never go back to 2.3
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #82
my dad had a stock one with a 5 speed
when the boost came in that thing took off like a freight train.
i mean it gave my 351 mustang a run for its money
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #83
Torque first!
1987 TC

Reply #84
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;225108
A carbed, iron headed 5.0 with cast exhaust and intake manifolds weighs approx 470 lbs(per Ford)... A fully dressed 2.3T in the neighborhood of 380... Bout all you can get rid of on the 2.3 is the exhaust manifold... While we 5.0 guys can run aluminum heads intake and tube headers(and I do)... So in reality there is maybe 50 lbs difference... Plus IF one wants to run a automatic(again I do), a 5.0 is the only way to go(OK I gotta give you a weight advantage with the T-5 now maybe 100lbs)... Yeah you can run a C4 behind the 2.3, but doesn't do anything for a good gear(3.73-4.56)on the highway...
no doubt that on a scale there is not much actual difference in total weight, but the weight of a 2.3T is placed better(down and back). still not enough to justify a 200lbs claim, im just sayin ;)
and FWIW, there are aluminum head options and bell housing adapter plates available for the 2.3T as well.

any results from the track yet?
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #85
Quote from: daboss351;225114
my dad had a stock one with a 5 speed
when the boost came in that thing took off like a freight train.
i mean it gave my 351 mustang a run for its money

yeah WHEN boost finally comes on, they move out OK.  mine has around 300hp, (going by what everybody that plays with these 2.3's has told me) and it is a dog off the line.  I got beat by an old mini cooper til the boost finally kicked in.  and yes I know you gotta abuse the clutch to leave hard.  sorry I cant afford to change clutches all the time, no revving and dumping for me.  this thing I rev it up to 3500, and dump the clutch and the thing bogs and barely spins til the boost finally kicks in.  kinda embarassing. LOL.  I miss takeing off nice and easy and sliding sideways at 40kms/h in the Capri.

Time to start aquiring some swap parts.  :flip: :toilet: to the 2.3L
any results from the track yet?

nah, havent hit the track yet.  waiting for my EI to kick in so I can afford to go.

Reply #86
I think yours does have the stinger header.  That won't make boost early like a twin scroll header that you would have to build.  Thats why I built mine.  I should be able to get almost full boost around 2800, at least thats what Ive read on turboford.org :burnout:  Edit: you may want to check your timing too.  When I got my turbo coupe, it still had the IHI, but it was really slow.  went 15.8 @ 86.  Checked it, it only had 5 deg withthe spout out.  Moved it to 14. stock is 10.  Next run after that went 14.97@90.9.  the holset may want more timing but dont know yet, lol.  mines still apart

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

Reply #87
how did you build yours?  let me know how it works for you.

Reply #88
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;225129
yeah WHEN boost finally comes on, they move out OK.  mine has around 300hp, (going by what everybody that plays with these 2.3's has told me) and it is a dog off the line.  I got beat by an old mini cooper til the boost finally kicked in.  and yes I know you gotta abuse the clutch to leave hard.  sorry I cant afford to change clutches all the time, no revving and dumping for me.  this thing I rev it up to 3500, and dump the clutch and the thing bogs and barely spins til the boost finally kicks in.  kinda embarassing. LOL.  I miss takeing off nice and easy and sliding sideways at 40kms/h in the Capri.

Time to start aquiring some swap parts.  :flip: :toilet: to the 2.3L

nah, havent hit the track yet.  waiting for my EI to kick in so I can afford to go.

3,500 aint gonna cut it with a holset trust me..

get a 2 step on it and wire it iin the cutch pedal switch but a 4,500 pill it in leave with some boost.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #89
I have to say, that's a pretty sweet ride there! I even like the wheels!